On Deck: Have BT opponents finally figured out a way to

Reaction score
shutdown Decker's point production based on the past few games and are Brew/JF smart enough to make counter adjustments?

Any GHers smart enough and/or presumptuous enough to suggest how the G braintrust should proceed with on-field strategy/execution?

Uhhh, no. Decker still makes catches. To stop that, you need to prevent Weber from throwing, which is rather easy.

I don't think most teams will want to replicate the way Purdue limited Decker's production:
A) Let Minnesota start 3 possessions inside the Purdue 31 yard line (1 inside the 3 yard line).
B) Keep Minnesota's offense off the field by letting them score defensive and/or special teams touchdowns.
C) Exhibit a porous run defense that makes it clear to Minnesota coaches that they can run the ball without threatening the pass. In the process Weber will only attempt 9 passes which limits the effectiveness of Decker within the offense.

Penn State did the best job of bracketing Decker that we've seen to date. I didn't see anything different with what they did than what other teams did except they have the best front 7 we've seen so they didn't need to blitz to get pressure allowing them to rarely go away from bracket coverage. Their continued bracket coverage scheme is why Weber threw to other wide receivers more frequently than other games. Weber still had his chances to hit Decker within the offense but he missed him when he had opportunities and too often he missed the other receivers too which limited our offensive plays/production.

I don't think most teams will want to replicate the way Purdue limited Decker's production:
A) Let Minnesota start 3 possessions inside the Purdue 31 yard line (1 inside the 3 yard line).
B) Keep Minnesota's offense off the field by letting them score defensive and/or special teams touchdowns.
C) Exhibit a porous run defense that makes it clear to Minnesota coaches that they can run the ball without threatening the pass. In the process Weber will only attempt 9 passes which limits the effectiveness of Decker within the offense.

Penn State did the best job of bracketing Decker that we've seen to date. I didn't see anything different with what they did than what other teams did except they have the best front 7 we've seen so they didn't need to blitz to get pressure allowing them to rarely go away from bracket coverage. Their continued bracket coverage scheme is why Weber threw to other wide receivers more frequently than other games. Weber still had his chances to hit Decker within the offense but he missed him when he had opportunities and too often he missed the other receivers too which limited our offensive plays/production.

+1

I try not to be negative about our Gophers...but Weber just sucked against Penn State...plain and simple...his worst game...maybe ever.

It seemed they hardly even tried to get the ball to Decker against Penn State.

Top Bottom