Omaha World Herald BTW rankings: Overall Talent (MN: 5), QB (MN: T2), D (MN: 5)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Omaha World Herald:

Overall talent
Nebraska: T1

Wisconsin: T1

Iowa: T1

Northwestern: T1

Minnesota: 5

Nebraska’s five-year average recruiting class rank is 28.4 according to 247Sports’ composite service, which is much better than Wisconsin (41.6), Northwestern (52), Iowa (53.2) or Minnesota (58.6). But those recruiting rankings don’t tell the whole truth, as many of the players in those classes left the program early. NU has nine former walk-ons currently on scholarship and a big glut of offensive and defensive linemen who haven’t contributed much to the program despite their time in it. Wisconsin and Iowa don’t tend to have as much skill talent as Nebraska — certainly not at wide receiver, and perhaps, in Wisconsin’s case, not at defensive back, either — but the Badgers and Hawkeyes know how to recruit and develop line players and linebackers. Minnesota is a small cut below that top four after losing some excellent defensive players off last season’s team.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/footba...cle_dba91e17-ec79-5610-ba13-dd8c2ba35edb.html

Go Gophers!!

per the Omaha World Herald:

Overall talent
Nebraska: T1

Wisconsin: T1

Iowa: T1

Northwestern: T1

Minnesota: 5

Nebraska’s five-year average recruiting class rank is 28.4 according to 247Sports’ composite service, which is much better than Wisconsin (41.6), Northwestern (52), Iowa (53.2) or Minnesota (58.6). But those recruiting rankings don’t tell the whole truth, as many of the players in those classes left the program early. NU has nine former walk-ons currently on scholarship and a big glut of offensive and defensive linemen who haven’t contributed much to the program despite their time in it. Wisconsin and Iowa don’t tend to have as much skill talent as Nebraska — certainly not at wide receiver, and perhaps, in Wisconsin’s case, not at defensive back, either — but the Badgers and Hawkeyes know how to recruit and develop line players and linebackers. Minnesota is a small cut below that top four after losing some excellent defensive players off last season’s team.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/footba...cle_dba91e17-ec79-5610-ba13-dd8c2ba35edb.html

Go Gophers!!
Don't really care what the newspaper in Ohama writes. Go Gophers

Were better than NW. Pretty spineless to have a four way tie, way to go out on a limb.

The Omaha World Herald used to be the best paper in the history of newsprint. Now it's a worse rag than the Strib. My how the mighty have fallen. Not worthy of lining a bird cage.

This might be the dumbest article I've seen this season. Considering that long list of clickbait and mail it in drivel from Athlon and Dienart that is saying something. At least give those of us in ghe peanut gallery something to argue about. This is just cowardly.

Then this gem:

"Last season, I didn’t rank Iowa or Northwestern, which turned out to be an error(ya think?), but it’s hard to conceive a scenario where the Illini or Boilermakers play for the Big Ten title in Indianapolis."

This guy is a fast learner! "I didn't think Iowa was going to be any good based on the immediate past season with a different QB, and golly if that didn't make a difference! Buuuuut...I'm going to go with my instincts on this one, and state that Illinois has no chance at the West despite getting a talented QB back from injury, a new staff with NFL credentials, and some talented pieces.

If nothing else the article shows that you cannot use 247 or likely other "rating" sites to judge talent.
WI was only half as good in "talent" according to that metric and IA, NW and MN much worse than that.
What counts is the talent on the field at game time.
Over that five year interval the Gophers held their own with NE, WI destoyed them a couple of times and I am too lazy to look up how IA and NW did.
Bo was fired for his BIG record as much as for his demenor.
Will Riley do any better?
Time will tell.

Top Bottom