Semis
Gophers over Indiana State
Fairfield over Dayton

7th/5th/3rd/Championship
DePaul over Arizona State
Wake Forest over Texas Tech
Indiana State over Dayton
Gophers over Fairfield

All of these teams have something to prove. ASU, WF, DePaul, and TT are all picked towards or at the bottom of their respective conference. Gopher's should be the favorites looking ahead to this tournament.

DePaul will not have played a game since last Monday. That can work both ways. They have had plenty of time to game plan and prepare, but they will also be rusty after that long of a break.

DePaul fans seem confident that guard play will decide the game.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=430&f=2585&t=8277966

DePaul fans seem confident that guard play will decide the game.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=430&f=2585&t=8277966

They're right, if our guards don't show up, we're screwed. Fortunately, it appears they're starting to get their footing under them. I think we'll win, but I don't see any beatdowns on the horizon, it'll probably be nip and tuck. Until our shooting improves, if it ever does, we're going to struggle to put distance on teams we don't just physically overwhelm cause we aren't hitting enough shots from distance. If guys like Oto, Dre Holins, Austin Hollins, or Welch get that stroke going though, we'll do some damage in this tournament I think cause then we become much more dangerous offensively.

From ESPN Feast Week Preview:

Old Spice Classic
(in Orlando, Fla.)
Tournament Bracket

Bilas: Minnesota over Fairfield
Brennan: Minnesota over Dayton
Fraschilla: Minnesota over Fairfield
Gasaway: Minnesota over Fairfield
Gottlieb: Minnesota over Fairfield
Katz: Minnesota over Fairfield
King: Minnesota over Wake Forest
Lunardi: Minnesota over Fairfield
Medcalf: Minnesota over Arizona State
O’Neil: Minnesota over Fairfield
Simon: Minnesota over Fairfield

Don’t be surprised …
... if Trevor Mbakwe averages a double-double and wins the Old Spice's MVP Award. (Fraschilla)
... if a complete wild-card comes out of the bottom part of the bracket. Fairfield has the most talent, but has struggled so far this season. But Dayton, Wake Forest or Arizona State haven't exactly inspired a lot of confidence either. (Katz)
... if Indiana State ends up in the title game. A first-round victory against Texas Tech and a semifinal win against Minnesota are both doable. (King)
... if Trevor Mbakwe shoots a free throw or two. Incredibly, the Golden Gophers' 6-8 senior is averaging 18 points a game while attempting twice as many shots from the line as from the field. (Gasaway)
... if Fairfield uses a Nov. 17 loss to Gophers as motivation to reach the title game and redeem itself. (Medcalf)
... if Arizona State makes a run in this tourney. Herb Sendek's zone defense is one of the most difficult to prepare for and keeps them in a lot of games. (Simon)
... if two mid-majors meet in the championship game. The Old Spice has the most wide-open field of any tournament this season. (Bilas)
... if no one from this field makes the NCAA tournament. (Lunardi)

Wow, a clean sweep. I mean, I guess I'm not shocked, but still. I don't know if a rematch with Fairfield would be a good thing or a bad thing.

I'm confident the Gophers will perform better than they did in the inaugural Old Spice Classic in 2006-07:

Marist 63, Gophers 56
Southern Illinois 69, Gophers 53 (SIU did end up in the Sweet 16)
Montana 72, Gophers 65

Hopefully, Spencer will leave with better memories from the behind the mike. All the Gophers have to do is score 66 points to top their previous-best point total at the Milk House.

From ESPN Feast Week Preview:

Old Spice Classic
(in Orlando, Fla.)
Tournament Bracket

Bilas: Minnesota over Fairfield
Brennan: Minnesota over Dayton
Fraschilla: Minnesota over Fairfield
Gasaway: Minnesota over Fairfield
Gottlieb: Minnesota over Fairfield
Katz: Minnesota over Fairfield
King: Minnesota over Wake Forest
Lunardi: Minnesota over Fairfield
Medcalf: Minnesota over Arizona State
O’Neil: Minnesota over Fairfield
Simon: Minnesota over Fairfield

Don’t be surprised …
... if Trevor Mbakwe averages a double-double and wins the Old Spice's MVP Award. (Fraschilla)
... if a complete wild-card comes out of the bottom part of the bracket. Fairfield has the most talent, but has struggled so far this season. But Dayton, Wake Forest or Arizona State haven't exactly inspired a lot of confidence either. (Katz)
... if Indiana State ends up in the title game. A first-round victory against Texas Tech and a semifinal win against Minnesota are both doable. (King)
... if Trevor Mbakwe shoots a free throw or two. Incredibly, the Golden Gophers' 6-8 senior is averaging 18 points a game while attempting twice as many shots from the line as from the field. (Gasaway)
... if Fairfield uses a Nov. 17 loss to Gophers as motivation to reach the title game and redeem itself. (Medcalf)
... if Arizona State makes a run in this tourney. Herb Sendek's zone defense is one of the most difficult to prepare for and keeps them in a lot of games. (Simon)
... if two mid-majors meet in the championship game. The Old Spice has the most wide-open field of any tournament this season. (Bilas)
... if no one from this field makes the NCAA tournament. (Lunardi)

Well that seals it. We won't be winning this.

Quarterfinals
Indiana State over Texas Tech
Gophers over DePaul
Dayton over Wake Forest
Fairfield over Arizona State

Consolation Semis
Texas Tech over DePaul
Wake Forest over Arizona State

Semis
Gophers over Indiana State
Fairfield over Dayton

7th/5th/3rd/Championship
DePaul over Arizona State
Wake Forest over Texas Tech
Indiana State over Dayton
Gophers over Fairfield

Your silly!!!!!

Myron with the random shot at the Gophers in an attempt to gain credibility

After hearing about the teams the Gophers might be playing in the Battle for Atlantis....this tourny really doesn't do anything for me. Granted, I will watch all of the games, but I just don't find myself all that excited.

Even if we do win, like Lunardi said, don't be shocked if we don't make it to the dance. Winning the early season tournament we were in last year kept us in the hunt for a spot in March even after falling on our faces. This one I think is a waste of time for the Gophers except for getting some of the young guys a chance to see what it feels like to play in this type of setting at the college level.

I do think they win it however.

Top Bottom