Ok..Iowa and Wisconsin first games versus the Minnesota game against EIU.

Reaction score
Tough call after one game, but do you feel more positive we can take the pig and axe after seeing
their games with Northern Iowa and LSU? After re-watching both games, I certainly do. I think Iowa
has some real issues at LB and the secondary ( Northern Iowa completed a ton of wheel routes
against the Iowa secondary) Wisconsin? I honestly think LSU came out in the first half thinking this
was a walk in the park. Gordon is a All-American running back and Clements is an able backup, but
not as good as White was. The QB problem really manifested itself against LSU. They don't seem too
have a WR that can create separation like Aberdarius ( sp). It looks like they will get both defensive
linemen back who were injured in the LSU game, so their defense should still be pretty good. I originally thought we had a pretty good shot with the pig at home, but didn't give us much of a chance
against Becky in Madison. That has changed for the better.

I'm glad we didn't play Bucky on Thursday night. That would have been ugly. There is a lifetime between now and our game with them, but we need to improve a lot before we are ready to go there and win.

Too tough for me to call based on one game. Did Iowa's score look poor against an inferior opponent? Yes. But they also lost to Central Michigan in 2012 before wiping the floor with us, 31-13. If the Hawkeyes struggle in their next three (Ball State, ISU, Pitt) I'll be more ready to say I feel better about the game in November.

As far as Wisconsin is concerned, Saturday didn't do much to assuage my fears about a potential loss in Madison at the end of the year. They are who I thought they were (which is pretty good, overall), and they have a ton of time between now and Thanksgiving to work on their holes.

Too tough for me to call based on one game. Did Iowa's score look poor against an inferior opponent? Yes. But they also lost to Central Michigan in 2012 before wiping the floor with us, 31-13. If the Hawkeyes struggle in their next three (Ball State, ISU, Pitt) I'll be more ready to say I feel better about the game in November.

As far as Wisconsin is concerned, Saturday didn't do much to assuage my fears about a potential loss in Madison at the end of the year. They are who I thought they were (which is pretty good, overall), and they have a ton of time between now and Thanksgiving to work on their holes.

What game were you watching? wisky looked terrible all game, LSU looked worse until the 3rd quarter.
If sconnie starts that QB all year they'll win 4 games, he's absolutely awful.
Their D ran smoke and mirrors to perfection until LSU adjusted, get some game tape on those stunts and blitzes and well coached teams will be able to move the ball on them.

I stand by my opinion on Gordon, he's a nice speed back with big play capability but he's no heisman candidate, and the staff doesn't trust him to be a classic workhorse sconnie runningback. He's easily the 3rd best back in the B1G right now, much less a top guy in the nation.

Iowa is Iowa, no explosive plays, solid D, solid O. They probably got UNI's best game because of the instate deal. I'd expect they'll struggle with Pitt though, who looked really good.

Illinois, Purdue, and NW look about where I thought they'd be, NW might be back to whipping boy status after a nice run the past few years.

Iowa does this every year and people jump on the Iowa is going to be terrible train. Ten weeks later and they are usually bowl bound. Week one means little.

Northern Iowa is not exactly a chump FCS squad, either...NDSU proved that a good FCS squad can go in and whoop up on a mediocre FBS team...a narrow margin of victory is nothing to be ashamed of.

Iowa does this every year and people jump on the Iowa is going to be terrible train. Ten weeks later and they are usually bowl bound. Week one means little.

Exactly. One game in which they were probably vanilla in their play-calling against a motivated in-state FCS school isn't going to cause me to overlook Iowa. Especially not after the way we've lost to them the past 2 years.

I think it's fair to say that neither team showed that it addressed preseason concerns on defense. Iowa has some issues in the back seven and Wisconsin some issues in the front seven. As expected Wisconsin has problems at QB and WR. I was surprised by the Hawkeyes difficulties in running the ball. It's a long season it'll be interesting watching to see how things develop. As it stands now, both teams appear beatable, if our team lives up to their potential.

Wait and see for me. I have learned not to get my hopes up against Wisconsin. Interesting things may be happening there, though, with the benching of Stave and seemingly Gordon.

What game were you watching? wisky looked terrible all game, LSU looked worse until the 3rd quarter.
If sconnie starts that QB all year they'll win 4 games, he's absolutely awful.
Their D ran smoke and mirrors to perfection until LSU adjusted, get some game tape on those stunts and blitzes and well coached teams will be able to move the ball on them.

I stand by my opinion on Gordon, he's a nice speed back with big play capability but he's no heisman candidate, and the staff doesn't trust him to be a classic workhorse sconnie runningback. He's easily the 3rd best back in the B1G right now, much less a top guy in the nation.

Iowa is Iowa, no explosive plays, solid D, solid O. They probably got UNI's best game because of the instate deal. I'd expect they'll struggle with Pitt though, who looked really good.

Illinois, Purdue, and NW look about where I thought they'd be, NW might be back to whipping boy status after a nice run the past few years.

Do you think the fact that 2 teams ranked very closely had anything to do with how they looked? Wisconsin looked fast enough on defense to cause us major problems. Let's see how we look in 11 weeks.

Iowa had major problems with the LB's covering backs out of the backfield (Berkley Edwards!) Wish we played them earlier in the season before they improve like they most likely will. They really threw a lot of passes which plays a bit into our strength.

they have a ton of time between now and Thanksgiving to work on their holes.

And if we know anything about Wisconsin and Iowa, it's that they love to work on their holes.

Iowa has a major problem at LB. 3 new starters and they were lost. They'll fix some of that, but it won't go away. Teams that can run and set-up PA will move the ball on IA unlike recent years. I'm pretty confident that we win that game.

Wisconsin just lost on of their starting tackles for 6 weeks and their starting FB for 8 weeks.

I'm glad we didn't play Bucky on Thursday night. That would have been ugly. There is a lifetime between now and our game with them, but we need to improve a lot before we are ready to go there and win.

Had we played them, we would have had to waste valuable time preparing for them and would been just fine. Not impressed with wisky. As it was, we practiced camp style developing our young players and did not waste time watching film. Doubt there is much of film watching this week either. Next week will be a game prepare week of practice. Playing a big game out of the gate is not wise in my opinion and does nothing for the development of your team. Those games are money games for the participants nothing more.

Top Bottom