OK disagree with me -

Rog

Reaction score
I believe Kahler really wants the U to win big in football -

He Oked the building of the new 1.6 million athletic building with the football facilities receiving high attention, even if he had to borrow approx. 1/2 the cost.

He just now approved Fleck's and coaches salaries (much greater than we have ever committed to)

He is at every football game, home and away.

I will admit he acted (in my estimation) to fast in the report from the ?? committee.

I disagree with you.

His name is Kaler.

I don't think Kahler has some evil intentions regarding football.

I'm just not sure he cares much either way.

But really I don't need Kahler to care as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure he wants the football team to do well. If they do it means lots of good exposure for the U, and I'm sure he would take credit for it. I think Kaler wants to make it LOOK like he cares. I'll give him credit for being willing to finally throw some real money down, but no I don't think he really cares about football or has the first idea about how to make the program successful on a high level. And I don't really think it's his job to care. Go run the university while PJ and Coyle worry about football. They are being paid very well to do that so let them do their thing and leave them alone.

He Oked the building of the new 160 million athletic building with the football facilities receiving high attention, even if he had to borrow approx. 1/2 the cost.

He just now approved Fleck's and coaches salaries (much greater than we have ever committed to)

I will admit he acted (in my estimation) to fast in the report from the ?? committee.

Those things are true and sure he wants the U to have a successful football team.

Now how he's gone about it? :rolleyes:

I disagree with you.
They are spending condiderably more than 1.6 million on the new athletic building or athleates village. I think it is more like 160 million dollars.

I disagree with you.
They are spending condiderably more than 1.6 million on the new athletic building or athleates village. I think it is more like 160 million dollars.

Boy! was I off, I knew it was 160+ million but it sure didn't get on paper that way.

Boy! was I off, I knew it was 160+ million but it sure didn't get on paper that way.

Well we had a whole thread about a possible huge five figure donation the other day so I don't blame you. What do decimal points really mean? As long as they're there it's fine.

He Oked the building of the new 1.6 million athletic building with the football facilities receiving high attention, even if he had to borrow approx. 1/2 the cost.

Of course he does. You may not think he interacts with the team very well, but there's no question he wants the team to compete at a high level, just as he wants all departments at The U to compete at a high level.

Like Stalin, he wants world domination, but he'll kill anyone who threatens his rule. Beware the snake. [emoji216]

Assuming that you're talking about Eric Kaler (not quite clear from the OP), then yes, he obviously wants the U to succeed in all athletics. Anyone who has any naive theories to the contrary isn't worth engaging on the topic.

I agree he wants and is also committed to having a successful athletics department

Assuming that you're talking about Eric Kaler (not quite clear from the OP), then yes, he obviously wants the U to succeed in all athletics. Anyone who has any naive theories to the contrary isn't worth engaging on the topic.

Note: the Fleck the OP is referencing in his post is likely PJ Fleck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alabama has done extensive studies regarding the type of students drawn to the University when Bama was losing games to teams like, well, Minnesota, and since Saban. Conclusion, Alabama is drawing a higher ranking (ACT and SAT scores) academic classes since Saban. College presidents do read these studies, Kaler included.

Alabama has done extensive studies regarding the type of students drawn to the University when Bama was losing games to teams like, well, Minnesota, and since Saban. Conclusion, Alabama is drawing a higher ranking (ACT and SAT scores) academic classes since Saban. College presidents do read these studies, Kaler included.

Yeah, the president of the University of Alabama was on 60 Minutes (I could be wrong on the show) being questioned on Nick Saban's salary and he said he was worth every cent (for the reasons you discussed).

There are a bunch of good artilces in Forbes that also discuss the financial windfall created by guys like Saban.

I don't think Kahler has some evil intentions regarding football.

I'm just not sure he cares much either way.

But really I don't need Kahler to care as far as I'm concerned.

Ah, ya you do, if you want a football team that has a chance to win the Big Ten West.

Spot on.

Does Kaler want the FB program to succeed? Yes - but on his terms. He wants the "right" kind of team, so he can present himself as the moral force that "cleaned up" the program.

The U of MN is putting more money into the program, but there's more than money involved in being "all in" for football. Game-day atmosphere is a big part of it. Will Kaler loosen the reins on some of the game-day stuff? (oh no, some of the students might have too much fun - we can't allow that....). Will he work with the city of Mpls and the neighborhood groups to make the entire campus part of game-day activities and atmosphere? I could see Fleck exerting some pressure on the admin to make game-day more fun and less funeral.

I always believed that Kaler understands the significance of having a highly successful AD, especially the football program. There is a value to that not only in terms of $$$ but also alumni relations and community support. People want to be around a winner.

But he seems to be all about taking the high road and playing the PC game. Plus his personality and approach seems to be aloof, high and mighty and above the average person. I'm not certain that equates to that he doesn't care about athletics.

Top Bottom