Ohio State football Buck'Eyeing' the Big Ten: Minnesota Golden Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Chip:

Besides the September 21st grudge match versus Iowa, Minnesota has to go on the road to Michigan on September 28th, host USC on October 5th, then travel to UCLA on October 12th. Michigan crushed Minnesota 52-10 in 2023, so the Golden Gophers will not be lacking any type of motivation against the Wolverines. The question will be if Minnesota will have the personnel to go toe to toe against Michigan to exact any type of revenge.

That four game stretch, in my estimation, could be the main pitfall area for the Golden Gophers in 2024. If Minnesota drops all four games, the latter portion of the season will be dicey for the Golden Gophers to get into bowl game contention.

2024 Schedule Outlook: As I wrote above, Minnesota's schedule has just enough challenges that another bowl bid seems worse than 50/50. Add in all of the games I cited, plus other Big Ten opponents in November at Illinois (November 2nd), the aforementioned game at Rutgers (November 9th), Penn State (November 23rd), and at Wisconsin (November 29th for a Black Friday game on CBS), and you will see why I am skeptical about seeing the Golden Gophers in a bowl game this upcoming season. Illinois and Wisconsin both defeated Minnesota in 2023, and this year's games are on the road. It's not looking too promising.

Go Gophers!!

USC is imploding, Michigan isn’t last years team, Penn state will be a challenge, and if this QB of ours can be decent I like our chances big time against UCLA, Wisconsin, Iowa, Rutgers, and Illinois.

This could be another special year if we get good QB and WR play. We need that off set to continue our very impressive OL and RB play.

I don't see any reason Minnesota can't win 2 of four of the Iowa, Michigan, USC, UCLA games the author thinks is such a daunting task. If the Gophers do go 2-2 ,(,,or better) in that stretch, I just hope Michigan isn't one of the losing teams.

I hope for more original thinking. But not writing to the 10,000 gopher football fans that understand the basics of the team.

Plus, a lot of his arguments are simply; well, they lost to them last year so, that means it’ll be hard this year.

That probably describes 80% (at least) of the web-based writers from other teams who are posted here. People should be used to it by now and I don't know why these sort of postings even generate comments (boredom I guess). Few of these people are going to sift through the weeds like that Oregon fan.

Per Chip:

Besides the September 21st grudge match versus Iowa, Minnesota has to go on the road to Michigan on September 28th, host USC on October 5th, then travel to UCLA on October 12th. Michigan crushed Minnesota 52-10 in 2023, so the Golden Gophers will not be lacking any type of motivation against the Wolverines. The question will be if Minnesota will have the personnel to go toe to toe against Michigan to exact any type of revenge.

That four game stretch, in my estimation, could be the main pitfall area for the Golden Gophers in 2024. If Minnesota drops all four games, the latter portion of the season will be dicey for the Golden Gophers to get into bowl game contention.

2024 Schedule Outlook: As I wrote above, Minnesota's schedule has just enough challenges that another bowl bid seems worse than 50/50. Add in all of the games I cited, plus other Big Ten opponents in November at Illinois (November 2nd), the aforementioned game at Rutgers (November 9th), Penn State (November 23rd), and at Wisconsin (November 29th for a Black Friday game on CBS), and you will see why I am skeptical about seeing the Golden Gophers in a bowl game this upcoming season. Illinois and Wisconsin both defeated Minnesota in 2023, and this year's games are on the road. It's not looking too promising.

Go Gophers!!
Adding the PCC to our schedule is lunacy - only the wealthy will flourish (Ohio St., Michigan, Penn St.) It's a disaster for us. Money is all that counts now. An 18-team league with no divisions, stuffed with powerful teams from the West Coast. Lunacy. Chip is probably right as to a bowl under those circumstances. Then add NIL which will just get worse, plus the insane transfer policies.

That probably describes 80% (at least) of the web-based writers from other teams who are posted here. People should be used to it by now and I don't know why these sort of postings even generate comments (boredom I guess). Few of these people are going to sift through the weeds like that Oregon fan.
Then we should beat Iowa no problem

Per Chip:

Besides the September 21st grudge match versus Iowa, Minnesota has to go on the road to Michigan on September 28th, host USC on October 5th, then travel to UCLA on October 12th....

Iowa is beatable. Minnesota will beat UCLA. Unlikely to lose all four.

Not sure about USC, an enormous game for both teams if Gophers win.

We have potential NFL talent at every level on Defense and Offense. If our QB flashes that he could be a late round selection, this team could be special. The challenge is that is a lot of "what ifs" because it means counting on player development and coaching. In years past I would be optimistic, but we still have a lot to learn about our OC and DC. This year will tell us more about how good PJ hires than any other year to date. I have to admit I am a little concerned.

We have potential NFL talent at every level on Defense and Offense. If our QB flashes that he could be a late round selection, this team could be special. The challenge is that is a lot of "what ifs" because it means counting on player development and coaching. In years past I would be optimistic, but we still have a lot to learn about our OC and DC. This year will tell us more about how good PJ hires than any other year to date. I have to admit I am a little concerned.
Potential is a dangerous word. So do most of our b10 opponents

My prediction is 6-6. Untested QB against Div1 defenses is the wildcard. This time last year people on this board were singing the praises of AK. That didn’t age well.

USC is imploding, Michigan isn’t last years team, Penn state will be a challenge, and if this QB of ours can be decent I like our chances big time against UCLA, Wisconsin, Iowa, Rutgers, and Illinois.

This could be another special year if we get good QB and WR play. We need that off set to continue our very impressive OL and RB play.
Personally, I think USC will be better this year. Better defense for sure and not sure the offense drops off much if at all.

Personally, I think USC will be better this year. Better defense for sure and not sure the offense drops off much if at all.
How good is the QB behind Caleb Williams? Should be a fun game to watch. Personally I think we should match up well with both USC and UCLA.

How good is the QB behind Caleb Williams? Should be a fun game to watch. Personally I think we should match up well with both USC and UCLA.
Miller Moss was the MVP in the Holiday bowl with 6 TD passes. The guy can throw the ball. He completes around 70% of his passes. So yea, he's a serious threat. In my opinion, he's not a running threat, so that's his weakness. Make him run.

Do not even think USC and UCLA are similar opponents. UCLA has a lot of work to do to be competitive. USC just may surprise a lot of people.

My prediction is 6-6. Untested QB against Div1 defenses is the wildcard. This time last year people on this board were singing the praises of AK. That didn’t age well.
Fair take and I would basically agree with this. If Max is not good MN could win 3 games. If he is decent to pretty good could win 6-7 games, if hes great maybe 9...

I get the sentiment, but there's a substantial difference between Brosmer and AK. Brosmer is older and has so much more game experience than Kaliakmanis does. There's a ton of pressure on Brosmer to perform at the level expected of a redshirt senior qb, but he's a record holder at the FCS level and I think the odds of him performing as expected or better will be pretty high. If he underperforms or sucks, I fear that means Minnesota under Fleck is where qbs go to die and running backs run themselves into the grav... I mean Valhalla. 🤷

Wild speculation is fun unless the product ends up being crud. I want to be hopeful until there's reason not to be.

Fair take and I would basically agree with this. If Max is not good MN could win 3 games. If he is decent to pretty good could win 6-7 games, if hes great maybe 9...
If he's great this is a 10+ win team. We have an offense built to keep the defense fresh and an unreal running back stable. If this kid can nickel and dime us down the field at his leisure with our ground pound, clock running offense, this team will be special. If our offense is legit out of the gates on the ground and through the air, the only team I feel the least amount of hope against is Michigan on the road.

If he's great this is a 10+ win team. We have an offense built to keep the defense fresh and an unreal running back stable. If this kid can nickel and dime us down the field at his leisure with our ground pound, clock running offense, this team will be special. If our offense is legit out of the gates on the ground and through the air, the only team I feel the least amount of hope against is Michigan on the road.
I guess I’m not sold on the defense. I do have confidence in the running game for sure.

Top Bottom