Official Signing Day Thread

I'm 100% committed to the Minnesota Football Team. To all the other teams, "go away." Minnesota is my new home.

I saw Dylan McGill on 247 as a commit. He was a grey shirt and is apparently signing tomorrow.
Oh is this the guy who was basically supposed to be the 25th guy for 2020 but they held that spot open for JDS, or some stupid crap like that? Like they faked up some way for his test scores to not qualify, or something.

Maybe I'm making that up out of thin air.

Anyway, awesome that he's still committed and getting his chance to come here.

EDIT: yep that's him https://247sports.com/college/minne...g-PJ-Fleck-Grey-Shirt-Dylan-McGill-143305351/

"I am going to grey shirt at Minnesota because of ACT/SAT reasons," 2020 Mesquite (Texas) wide receiver Dylan McGill said to GopherIllustrated about his status with the Gophers. "I am NCAA qualified, but it’s just trying to get through University of Minnesota admissions. Coach Fleck has offered me the grey shirt and I will be taking that offer, and will be signing with Minnesota in the early signing period with 2021. I am all about Minnesota and the people, my journey is just a little different. Just like Coach Fleck said, I don’t have a chip on my shoulder; I have a crack on my shoulder."

Bolded: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: please. Fleck can get anyone he wants in the school. Guaranteed there are plenty of guys on the team now that wouldn't have been accepted otherwise.

Whatever, like I said, glad he's still committed with us and getting his chance to enroll a semester late.

Two players that I pay particular attention to:

Will Dickerson stick to his commitment?

Will Townley change his mind and stick with the hometown Gophers?

Last edited:

Oh is this the guy who was basically supposed to be the 25th guy for 2020 but they held that spot open for JDS, or some stupid crap like that? Like they faked up some way for his test scores to not qualify, or something.

Maybe I'm making that up out of thin air.

Anyway, awesome that he's still committed and getting his chance to come here.

EDIT: yep that's him https://247sports.com/college/minne...g-PJ-Fleck-Grey-Shirt-Dylan-McGill-143305351/

"I am going to grey shirt at Minnesota because of ACT/SAT reasons," 2020 Mesquite (Texas) wide receiver Dylan McGill said to GopherIllustrated about his status with the Gophers. "I am NCAA qualified, but it’s just trying to get through University of Minnesota admissions. Coach Fleck has offered me the grey shirt and I will be taking that offer, and will be signing with Minnesota in the early signing period with 2021. I am all about Minnesota and the people, my journey is just a little different. Just like Coach Fleck said, I don’t have a chip on my shoulder; I have a crack on my shoulder."

Bolded: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: please. Fleck can get anyone he wants in the school. Guaranteed there are plenty of guys on the team now that wouldn't have been accepted otherwise.

Whatever, like I said, glad he's still committed with us and getting his chance to enroll a semester late.
Just STFU

Two players that I pay particular attention to:

Will Dickerson stick to his commitment?

Will Townley change his mind and stick with the hometown Gophers?
Townley said he won't be signing until Feb. 6th. Seems as though Fleck has moved on from him.

I thing Townley is gone. And I don't think it is a big loss. I'm not convinced he'll ever be a good football player. I think it is more likely he'll be done after 2 years. Mark it now, Smokey....

I just hope we don't get any bad surprises tomorrow. Losing Dickerson in particular would be a huge blow both to the class ranking and our prospects for next year as we're going to need CB's to come in and play early.

I will be really interested to see Athan Kaliakmanis. PJ put a lot of eggs in his basket by not taking a 2020 QB recruit in order to entice Athan as our 2021 QB with fewer guys in the pipleline ahead of him. Hopefully, he's the real deal.

I just hope we don't get any bad surprises tomorrow. Losing Dickerson in particular would be a huge blow both to the class ranking and our prospects for next year as we're going to need CB's to come in and play early.

I will be really interested to see Athan Kaliakmanis. PJ put a lot of eggs in his basket by not taking a 2020 QB recruit in order to entice Athan as our 2021 QB with fewer guys in the pipleline ahead of him. Hopefully, he's the real deal.
Who would we lose Dickerson to? I’d be pretty shocked if he flipped to Nebraska. As for Athan, I’m not worried, I like our qb situation for the next 3 years. Plenty of time to find other guys if Athan doesn’t pan out.

per Megan:

Deven Eastern sat in P.J. Fleck's office, his mother and his mentor by his side.

"Where have you been in your life up to this point," the Gophers coach asked the 17-year-old, "and what do you need in your life right now?"

The Shakopee defensive end could have given a surface-level answer, anything to preserve a recruiting relationship for the unranked player 12 months before Wednesday's early signing day. Telling the true story, all of its uncomfortable and vulnerable parts, was a risk.

But Eastern opened his mouth, and his heart came spilling out.

"He teared up and started talking to the coach about his life and what means the most to him," said his mentor, Mike Morris. "And it was very, very, very real."

Eastern spoke about his struggle with emotional behavioral disorders, his mom, his devotion to football, his dream to play in the NFL but more important, to be a good man. By the end of his deliverance, everyone was crying.

"He gave me a chance," Eastern said of Fleck. "He knew everything about my past. And he knew I had the potential to grow and become a better person. And that I've been working so hard.

"And he was the first guy to tell me that 'We'll get through it, and I'll help you through this. And we're more than just football here. We're family.'"

Go Gophers!!

per Megan:

THE GOPHERS' EXPECTED CLASS OF 2021
The Gophers football team has 18 players in its recruiting Class of 2021 who are expected to sign letters of intent Wednesday, the start of the three-day early signing period. Players listed are ranked by star grade, and listed with position, height, weight.

Avante Dickerson, CB, 6-0, 170, 
From Westside High School (Omaha, Neb.). The No. 1 recruit in Nebraska and the No. 8 cornerback in the nation picked the Gophers despite offers from the likes of Ohio State, LSU, Texas, Virginia and USC.

deven eastern, de, 6-6, 280, 
From Shakopee High School. Committed to the Gophers shortly after their 11-2 season in 2019 when he wasn't ranked. Through a short but dominant senior year, he climbed to four stars.

mar'keise irving, rb, 5-10, 175, 
From Hillcrest High School (Country Club Hills, Ill.). Could end up with a similar build as current Gophers running back Mohamed Ibrahim if he puts on some weight. Is also a talented basketball player.

athan kaliakmanis, qb, 6-4, 190, 
From Antioch Community High School (Antioch, Ill.). The dual-threat QB has been committed to the Gophers since March 2019 and ranks second in his state and 12th among all 2021 quarterbacks.

steven ortiz, cb, 5-11, 170, 
From Desert Edge High School (Goodyear, Ariz.). Committed to the Gophers sight unseen during this recruiting dead period without travel amid the coronavirus pandemic.

austin booker, de, 6-5, 235, 
From Center Grove High School (Greenwood, Ind.). Named to the Indiana Football Coaches Association's Top 50 all-state team for 2020.

brady boyd wr, 6-1, 175, 
From Carroll High School (Southlake, Texas). Broke his wrist in an early October game but returned to the field by late November.

lemeke brockington, wr, 6-0, 185, 
From Colquitt County High School (Moultrie, Ga.). Named the All-Region 1-7A Athlete of the Year in 2020 for his prowess as a receiver and kick returner.

jameson geers, te, 6-4½, 240, 
From Providence Catholic High School (New Lenox, Ill.). From the same high school as current Gophers linebacker Mariano Sori-Marin.

darius green, s, 6-0, 190, 
From Newton High School (Covington, Ga.). Prides himself on speed, with a reported 100-meter time of 10.62 seconds.

cameron james, ot, 6-8, 280, 
From Simeon Career Academy (Chicago). Picked the Gophers from among several Power Five offers, including Arizona, Indiana, Kentucky and Michigan State.

dino kaliakmanis, wr, 6-2, 188, 
From Antioch Community High School (Antioch, Ill.). The older brother by 17 months of QB commit Athan Kaliakmanis, whom he combines with often as a receiver.

luther mccoy, dt, 6-4, 290, 
From Creekside High School (St. Augustine, Fla.). Committed to the Gophers a week ago after tallying 44 tackles through nine games this past season.

dylan mcgill, ath., 6-1½, 194, 
From Mesquite (Texas) High School. The original 2020 commit was a grayshirt, delaying his enrollment while he worked to improve his test scores for admission to the school.

logan purcell, ot, 6-7, 245, 
From Annandale High School. One of just two in-state recruits in this Gophers class.

jacob schuster, dt, 6-2, 300, 
From Tumwater High School (Olympia, Wash.). Reportedly plans on enrolling in the summer so he has a chance to help defend his team's state title in a delayed spring season.

justin walley, cb, 5-10, 185, 
From D'Iberville High School (Biloxi, Miss.). Made 55 tackles with two interceptions this season as Mississippi's Mr. Football for his 6A division.

devon williams, lb, 6-1, 215, 
From Dublin Coffman High School (Dublin, Ohio). Flipped his commitment from Kentucky back in April.

OTHER 2021 ADDITIONS
jack gibbens, lb, 6-4, 240

From Abilene Christian University (Bulverde, Texas). The graduate transfer will be a scholarship player, joining a young linebacker group in January after four years at the FCS level.

eli mau, lb, 6-2, 225
From Chanhassen High School. The preferred walk-on joined the class a couple of days before signing day.

Go Gophers!!

Who would we lose Dickerson to? I’d be pretty shocked if he flipped to Nebraska. As for Athan, I’m not worried, I like our qb situation for the next 3 years. Plenty of time to find other guys if Athan doesn’t pan out.

Not trying to create "worry" I don't know anything. I did read a Ryan Burns piece (free not premium) that said Dickerson was the only recruit he was "monitoring" going in to signing day.

Not trying to create "worry" I don't know anything. I did read a Ryan Burns piece (free not premium) that said Dickerson was the only recruit he was "monitoring" going in to signing day.
Yeah, does seem to be a more solid class than most years. Seems like their is typically a handful you kinda worry about, but this is the benefit of filling the spots early I think.

Fleck set to bring in Gophers' best class since 2008

If nothing else, 2020 has provided Minnesota football a larger window into the future.

A young defense, attrition and one of college football’s worst COVID-19 outbreaks have forced the Golden Gophers to grow up in a lot of spots. In Saturday’s win against Nebraska, they played a whopping 22 freshmen.

But reinforcements are coming.

“This is that cultural sustainability we’re talking about of getting those high school kids in here and developing them,” said coach P.J. Fleck, who often refers to Minnesota as “a developmental program.” “Everybody wants to play more and everybody wants to do more and everybody wants more playing time, and it’ll happen. And there’ll be that progression.”

With the Early Signing Period set to begin Wednesday, this is a pivotal class for Fleck. He led the Gophers to an 11-win season in 2019, but that was largely with Jerry Kill/Tracy Claeys recruits.

Virtually the entire roster will be “Fleck guys” by next fall. It’ll include a few 4-star skill players who could be in line for early playing time.

Go Gophers!!

SI All-American Top 25 Football Recruiting Class Rankings

18. Minnesota (19)

17 Verbal Commitments, 2 in the SI99

PJ Fleck and company recently added Florida defensive lineman Luther McCoy to the 2021 haul in a group headlined by defenders. It's led by a pair of Nickel prospects we dig in Steven Ortiz and Avantae Dickerson. However, do not sleep on QB Athan Kaliakmanis. His moxie, movement skills, competitiveness and solid arm talent are traits to be developed into a starter for head coach PJ Fleck. TE Jameson Geers should be a factor in the passing game around the seams in a few seasons.

Go Gophers!!

It will be interesting to see how many Seniors stick around for another season with the extra year of eligibility.

If nothing else, that might allow the coaches to bring some of the recruits along at a natural pace without feeling pressed to push them into the lineup.

It would be great to be able to set up that cycle where virtually all of the recruits redshirt their first year - so only a truly outstanding player would crack the lineup as a true FR.

Like it or not, that is part of the reason why WI and IA have had success. They don't lose a lot of guys early to the pros, so they wind up with a lot of 5th-year Seniors and 4th-year Juniors in the lineup.

There has been A LOT of chatter on twitter and nebraska message boards about him possibly having second thoughts. Hopefully it's just talk, I guess we'll see tomorrow🤞

If all goes well, this will quietly go down as a very exciting class. Seven 4-Stars according to 247 Sports (5 4-Stars, 247 Composite).

I hope that recruiting momentum will continue under PJ Fleck. The Gophers can only go up from here.

We have a lot to be optimistic about.

Top Bottom