Offensive Scheme

ncgo4

Reaction score
Brewster came to Minnesota and announced one significant decision. He would implement the spread offensive. After serving with Mac Brown, one of the most successful coaches in college ball, he decided that this was the way to go. He then hired a spread offense coordinator. Then after one miserable year and a beating at the hand of some team from down south (Iowa methinks it was?) at the end of the second he decided to make a 360 degree turn.

Why on earth did this happen? If his storied career as an assistant coach led him to believe that the spread was the way to go why would one terrible year followed by a year of significant improvement cause a 360? It says that his only key first year decision was a bad one.

Now we come to 2009. A new system and a new coordinator and what's changed? Well, the team is a lot better. Forget our bitching about a 12-0 loss to Iowa and compare it to last year's 55-0 bitch slapping we took - AT HOME. This team is a lot better. 6-6 against a much stronger schedule is real improvement.

However, all of the improvement was on the defensive side. Is there hope for the offense? I believe so and next year will be the test. We'll keep our offensive coaches because I suspect after 12 quarters of shut out there isn't a line forming to steal anyone away. We'll have a major uptick in the offensive line. We'll improve significantly at running back and with bowl practice and spring practice we'll be much stronger at receiver. I'm assuming we hold our commitments.

I'll give Brewster that one bad decision. He's a rookie head coach on a very steep learning curve. Pass the cool aid, please.

I'm not saying I don't like your post, but do me a favor. Get up from your chair, rotate your body 360 degrees and let me know where you end up.

Top Bottom