Offensive Line

This is what has me most puzzled about yesterday. What happened??? Were they just out-muscled? Were they just confused, missing assignments?
Fighting bielema eat their breakfast. But PJ gave them difficult conversations as a replacement meal.

This is what has me most puzzled about yesterday. What happened??? Were they just out-muscled? Were they just confused, missing assignments?
I haven't watched the game back (and won't...too sickening), but from what I saw it was 1 guy getting beat on bad plays -- not the whole OL being consistently bad. Schluter was mauled on a couple pass rushes (that was seriously concerning and embarrassing), Faalele was beaten inside on a couple short yardage plays, I think Olson gave up the pressure on the first INT, etc.

I haven't watched the game back (and won't...too sickening), but from what I saw it was 1 guy getting beat on bad plays -- not the whole OL being consistently bad. Schluter was mauled on a couple pass rushes (that was seriously concerning and embarrassing), Faalele was beaten inside on a couple short yardage plays, I think Olson gave up the pressure on the first INT, etc.
You are being over generous in saying one guy getting beat. From where I was sitting it looked like 2 or 3 missed assignments on most plays.

A lot of it was running to a negative box

some of it was guys getting beat off the ball

GBFan's 1st half analysis shows they were mostly doing their jobs...

My eyes on the field just did not seem to match that analysis. Not challenging his work and am glad he does it.

Didn't really want to but will have to obviously rewatch the game on the DVR for a second look. In the stands was not pretty the whole game from 211.

Last edited:

A lot of it was running to a negative box

some of it was guys getting beat off the ball
This.
1.We were running 1st down into a +1 box setting up 2nd and long=obvious passing down.
2. They played 5 men on Dline of scrimmage ala WI and confused the our OL with alot of blitzes and drops. Our experienced OL was a mess.
3. Sanford didn't adjust. We never rolled the QB out to get away from pressure. We never threw a RB screen...nothing! Hell, he didnt even call short routes and had all these long pass plays called...wtf

This.
1.We were running 1st down into a +1 box setting up 2nd and long=obvious passing down.
2. They played 5 men on Dline of scrimmage ala WI and confused the our OL with alot of blitzes and drops. Our experienced OL was a mess.
3. Sanford didn't adjust. We never rolled the QB out to get away from pressure. We never threw a RB screen...nothing! Hell, he didnt even call short routes and had all these long pass plays called...wtf
Yeah #3. I don’t blame him in the first half if that was the plan going in. But sticking with #3 in the second half was mind boggling.

The only time we spread them out was in empty. Should’ve spread them out on 1st and 2nd down with a back. We never had them off balance the whole game and their d backs outplayed our wideouts

To me that speaks of arrogance of the coaches thinking our guys would just beat theirs 1 on 1 and they didn’t

Yeah #3. I don’t blame him in the first half if that was the plan going in. But sticking with #3 in the second half was mind boggling.

The only time we spread them out was in empty. Should’ve spread them out on 1st and 2nd down with a back. We never had them off balance the whole game and their d backs outplayed our wideouts

To me that speaks of arrogance of the coaches thinking our guys would just beat theirs 1 on 1 and they didn’t
I mean...many of us were critical of Kirk C when he was here but his whole was predicated on what the box was doing. +1=pass. Even or -1= run.

Sanford doesnt adjust to what the d is giving them.

I mean...many of us were critical of Kirk C when he was here but his whole was predicated on what the box was doing. +1=pass. Even or -1= run.

Sanford doesnt adjust to what the d is giving them.
Our offense looks pretty similar to the 2018 and 2017 KC offenses

I noticed two things that stood out to me concerning our O-line:

1. We often were losing the matchups up front that we normally win, Bielema did a great job getting his kids ready for this.

2. The biggest downside to starting two freshman backs was their ability to pick up blitzes or chip a defensive end when they were coming out of the backfield on routes. They flat out missed assignments that they will need to make if they want to be complete backs going forward.

I really miss Mo Ibrahim!

This.
100% on your analysis Thomasthetank!

What is a negative box?
They have 8 in the box and we have 6 or 7 to block 8

Thomas the tank explained it but talked about it opposite of how I would. I would say we were -1
He was saying they were +1

but we are saying the same thing

They have 8 in the box and we have 6 or 7 to block 8

Thomas the tank explained it but talked about it opposite of how I would. I would say we were -1
He was saying they were +1

but we are saying the same thing
Sorry. My logic is : +1 accounts for defensive players in box vs our blockers. +1 means they brought a safety into the box for run support. -1 means we have more blockers than they have d players in the box which usually indicates they are playing man vs our 3 WR sets or they go double high S

GBFan's 1st half analysis shows they were mostly doing there jobs...

My eyes on the field just did not seem to match that analysis. Not challenging his work and am glad he does it.

Didn't really want to but will have to obviously rewatch the game on the DVR for a second look. In the stands was not pretty the whole game from 211.
It didn't look any better from 113.

Sorry. My logic is : +1 accounts for defensive players in box vs our blockers. +1 means they brought a safety into the box for run support. -1 means we have more blockers than they have d players in the box which usually indicates they are playing man vs our 3 WR sets or they go double high S
No worries. We are saying same thing.

Or Morgan is misreading the RPO.
Maybe he likes second and long.
Seems like their is a fundamental problem with preparation for lesser teams. Either:
1. Coaches are overconfident and not game planning sufficiently.
Or
2. Players are not motivated properly for lesser opponents to execute properly.
Or
3. A combo of 1 and 2.

I believe it’s 3. At least offensively. Consistently running into a wall and ignoring free yardage on the outside is insane. Or they don’t trust Morgan’s arm strength.

Or Morgan is misreading the RPO.
Maybe he likes second and long.
Seems like their is a fundamental problem with preparation for lesser teams. Either:
1. Coaches are overconfident and not game planning sufficiently.
Or
2. Players are not motivated properly for lesser opponents to execute properly.
Or
3. A combo of 1 and 2.

I believe it’s 3. At least offensively. Consistently running into a wall and ignoring free yardage on the outside is insane. Or they don’t trust Morgan’s arm strength.
I agree with your #3 assessment. The game planning vs. teams who are not good is really poor, combined with a lack of total focus by the team leads to games like Saturday.
On your last comment, Morgan has been the starter for a long time, if they don't trust what he can do at this point, then PJ is a complete fool and our OC is as well.
I've not been fond of our play calling and don't understand the passing game at all. Too many times we are running one man routes while the other receivers are just out there taking up a man leaving Tanner with nobody to throw to as other teams are figuring out which guy to take away based on formation.

Top Bottom