Offensive Line question ?

Rog

Reaction score
This is a question from an uninformed gopher fan -

I haven't seen our offensive line guards "pulling" on end sweeps like we used to see (Mason and Gordie Shaw years). Is this the "new" way or just a lack of talent?

Different blocking scheme's under the current staff ; more drive blocking versus the Mason/Shaw way of pulling and zone blocking. This staff wants to get the push up front and have backs locate the hole off the guard and tackle position.

They will pull the center and guard once or twice a game for outside runs. IIRC seems to work pretty well. Brooks scored a td on a pin and pull. Mix in in power runs and more zone than in the past. I do like seing those linemen rumbling down the field when they pull.

At this time I don't think the o-line has the kind of kids where pulling is to our advantage. We have phone booth guys. As new recruits come in and Bart Miller gets more time with the kids on the roster we may see more pilling. BM did get his feet wet at Wisconsin and they do pull a lot more.
It's not only how athletic the guards or centers are but the tackles too. T's have to down block or reach back to the space where the pulling lineman came from. This also is not the easiest block to make. If BM and this coaching staff is here I could see us pulling much more.

Different blocking scheme's under the current staff ; more drive blocking versus the Mason/Shaw way of pulling and zone blocking. This staff wants to get the push up front and have backs locate the hole off the guard and tackle position.

Top Bottom