Offense the last 14 games....

Art Vandelay

Banned
Reaction score
....has been shutout 3 times, couldn't score a TD against a D2 team, and was basically shutout a 4th time at OSU (I'm sorry, but a garbage time TD against the Buckeyes towel boys and student managers doesn't count).

That means the 1st team offense didn't score a TD in 5 of the last 14 games.

Brutal....

Pathetic.......

What's sad is they've usually had *VERY* good Field Position in games.......

Yeah. The offensive futility is absolutely astounding. Doogie - any chance you could get a sit-down with Fisch and get his thoughts on what went so terribly wrong this year?

Gopher offense in November 2009:

Nov. 7 vs. Illinois - 3 TDs
Nov. 14 vs. SDSU - 0 TDs
Nov. 21 vs. Iowa - 0 TDs

Gopher offense in November 2008:

Nov. 1 vs. Northwestern - 2 TDs
Nov. 8 vs. Michigan - 0 TDs
Nov. 15 vs. Wisconsin - 4 TDs
Nov. 22 vs. Iowa - 0 TDs

Basically - there are no offensive TDs in four of the seven November games the past two years.

There were so many low moments yesterday that I'm not sure what was the worst:
-You had two tries to get one yard by our power back and he didn't have a chance;
-between those two tries, we looked like an unorganized junior high team;
-you had the ball first and goal on their two and after four tries we turn it over on their seven;
-you had two of our receivers collide fifteen yards downfield and damn near knock each other out;
-when we still had hope, our junior quarterback loses the ball on a snap deep in their territory;
-again, in a position to score we try a double reverse but our second guy takes off at least a count early and we get a penalty;
-our junior quarterback has one of the worst looking grounding penalties in history when he panics and wings the ball into the turf five yards in front of him.

Our defense did make some great plays, but the sad fact remains that if a freshman quarterback wasn't playing so poorly, we would have lost to SDSU and we would have been really embarrassed yesterday with the score. At one point, when Griese was asked what was wrong with our offense he just sort of shrugged and threw open his hands. Things are so broken, you don't know where to start.

My faith has eroded so much that I'm at the point of doubting how much talent Brewster has actually recruited. There is no threat at running back. Yes, there's seldom blocking but no back makes a tackler miss or powers for additional yardage after hit. Our receivers have a hard time getting open, drop too many balls, and don't run good patterns. Early in the game we took a shot downfield and Weber threw a nice pass that McKnight looked like he short-armed instead of reaching out for it. Late in the game Weber threw a pass that looked bad, but it looked like Allen just quit on the pattern. Stoudermire excited everyone early, but looks very ordinary now. Finally, our most heralded recruit is apparently not good enough to replace a quarterback who has become totally dysfunctional. He's now a potential end?

Well, we are in a bowl game. We certainly have time to reassess and practice. Hopefully, there will be some positive differences. I can't see Brewster gone after this year and he probably shouldn't be, but with another showing like we've seen lately, all bets are off.

....has been shutout 3 times, couldn't score a TD against a D2 team, and was basically shutout a 4th time at OSU (I'm sorry, but a garbage time TD against the Buckeyes towel boys and student managers doesn't count).

Brutal....

We haven't played a D2 team in our last 14 games.

You are right, though, about our offense being terrible. A disproportionate amount of that blame goes to the guy wearing #8 and possessing just about the sorriest excuse for a "beard" that I've ever seen.

We haven't played a D2 team in our last 14 games.

You are right, though, about our offense being terrible. A disproportionate amount of that blame goes to the guy wearing #8 and possessing just about the sorriest excuse for a "beard" that I've ever seen.

Yep your right, the QB should be able to avoid virtually unblocked d linemen and should be able to catch the ball for the receiver, also he should open the holes for the runningbacks and run the ball throught hose open holes for them. He should also be able to run complete routes and the right routes so that when finally he throws it on time and in the right place it's caught.

Anyone with any football knowledge watching that game can see there are alot of things broken with this offense, and there is not a disproportionate amount of blame to go to ANY one person.

The venom and scapegoating needs to stop with Weber. Our Oline was pathetic Sat, so were our receivers, and guess what? So was our savior freshman backup QB.
It's a team sport, everyone needs to be on the same page, they're not, here's to hoping for a much more simple playbook for the bowl and next year.

I'm sorry, but this team looks like they don't even practice anymore. I have seen some terrible offenses presented by this team in my lifetime, but this level of ineptitude is almost unparalleled.

Brutal....

Lousy Offense is right, but if the "garbage time" TD doesn't count, then they should have avoided shutouts against Penn State and Iowa by kicking Field Goals when they were down by the goaline? This rather then going for it on Fourth Down? The way the Defense was playing they probably should have against Iowa. They got the ball back twice more anyway.

Wouldn't have made me any happier but it appears with "basically shutout" and not counting a TD anyway, it appears that would have made Art happier.

There were so many low moments yesterday that I'm not sure what was the worst:
-You had two tries to get one yard by our power back and he didn't have a chance;
-between those two tries, we looked like an unorganized junior high team;
-you had the ball first and goal on their two and after four tries we turn it over on their seven;
-you had two of our receivers collide fifteen yards downfield and damn near knock each other out;
-when we still had hope, our junior quarterback loses the ball on a snap deep in their territory;
-again, in a position to score we try a double reverse but our second guy takes off at least a count early and we get a penalty;
-our junior quarterback has one of the worst looking grounding penalties in history when he panics and wings the ball into the turf five yards in front of him.

Our defense did make some great plays, but the sad fact remains that if a freshman quarterback wasn't playing so poorly, we would have lost to SDSU and we would have been really embarrassed yesterday with the score. At one point, when Griese was asked what was wrong with our offense he just sort of shrugged and threw open his hands. Things are so broken, you don't know where to start.

My faith has eroded so much that I'm at the point of doubting how much talent Brewster has actually recruited. There is no threat at running back. Yes, there's seldom blocking but no back makes a tackler miss or powers for additional yardage after hit. Our receivers have a hard time getting open, drop too many balls, and don't run good patterns. Early in the game we took a shot downfield and Weber threw a nice pass that McKnight looked like he short-armed instead of reaching out for it. Late in the game Weber threw a pass that looked bad, but it looked like Allen just quit on the pattern. Stoudermire excited everyone early, but looks very ordinary now. Finally, our most heralded recruit is apparently not good enough to replace a quarterback who has become totally dysfunctional. He's now a potential end?

Well, we are in a bowl game. We certainly have time to reassess and practice. Hopefully, there will be some positive differences. I can't see Brewster gone after this year and he probably shouldn't be, but with another showing like we've seen lately, all bets are off.

Interestingly enough, Brew has demonstrated that with solid coaching on STs and D alone, a BT team can win enough to become bowl eligible even with overall very poor, inconsistent and erratic offensive results.

Obviously, fixing the O could make the W/L and bowl situation substantially better.

Just look at the Hawks. They managed to get to #4 in the country on D/STs and now feature a current total offense rating of #95 (out of 120 D1 teams). Note Minny at #114.

Seem very odd, but then again, Mase got bowl eligible many times with almost the reverse strategy: focus on offense and cupcake nonconference matchups.

Brew's not making Mase's Minny mistake: getting blownout in 2H collapses in competitve matchups due to ST/D failures...TB's no dummy.

In fact as a measure of coaching and player grit, Minny's popgun offense has come from behind in all of its 6 wins. Fix the O intelligently to match collegiate level comprehension, maintain or improve D/STs, and the W/L outlook gets a lot better imho.

Yep your right, the QB should be able to avoid virtually unblocked d linemen and should be able to catch the ball for the receiver, also he should open the holes for the runningbacks and run the ball throught hose open holes for them. He should also be able to run complete routes and the right routes so that when finally he throws it on time and in the right place it's caught.

Anyone with any football knowledge watching that game can see there are alot of things broken with this offense, and there is not a disproportionate amount of blame to go to ANY one person.

The venom and scapegoating needs to stop with Weber. Our Oline was pathetic Sat, so were our receivers, and guess what? So was our savior freshman backup QB.
It's a team sport, everyone needs to be on the same page, they're not, here's to hoping for a much more simple playbook for the bowl and next year.

Please show me where I said Weber was the only problem on the offense. Thanks in advance!

There is a laundry list of things wrong with our offense, but #1, and it's really not even close, is the play of Weber. Sure there are times when he is hurried because of the offensive line, but does the offensive line make him throw balls at his receivers' feet, 5 yards over their heads, or behind their back shoulder on crossing routes? Do they make him hold on to the ball way too long and take sacks that shouldn't have happened 3-4 times a game?

There is something wrong with Weber's head. Period. Anyone with any football knowledge watching that game (or any game this year, outside of MSU) can see that. He has no internal clock for pocket pressure, he doesn't scramble when he should (this could possibly be the fault of the coaching staff), and he has a nagging tendency to throw to receivers just after they're open. He didn't forget how to play QB, but he's damaged goods, and he needs to not play anymore.

The only post on this thread "A disproportionate amount of that blame goes to the guy wearing #8"
I'm sure there have been other times when you rightly name other problems in this offense.

Weber's head is messed up. His body is messed up. His spirit is messed up.
I'm still not going to give up on him. He's a smart kid, works like a madman, fights like a lion in games, but his transition to this offense has been really tough.(understated)
He's had to endure the worst Oline play I've ever witnessed at any level. He's gone from being the primary running threat to handing it off and not having any running threat. He's also had to deal with receivers not running the right routes, not coming back to the ball, and not catching it when it gets to them. Has he missed wide open passes? Yep. Has he had some bad passes that stick out in our minds? Yep. He's stood up and admitted his shortfalls after every game win or lose. He's done nothing to deserve the vitriol and disgust that many have posted here.

Bottom line, he's a three time captain, the all time passing leader at Minnesota, and if anyone is going to bounce back from this tough of a year it's going to be him.

My solution is literally for him to let football go for a week or two, eat some turkey on thanksgiving, heal, rest, hang out with family and freinds, and come back rebooted and hopefully to a simplified gameplan for the bowl.

The only post on this thread "A disproportionate amount of that blame goes to the guy wearing #8"
I'm sure there have been other times when you rightly name other problems in this offense.

Weber's head is messed up. His body is messed up. His spirit is messed up.
I'm still not going to give up on him. He's a smart kid, works like a madman, fights like a lion in games, but his transition to this offense has been really tough.(understated)
He's had to endure the worst Oline play I've ever witnessed at any level. He's gone from being the primary running threat to handing it off and not having any running threat. He's also had to deal with receivers not running the right routes, not coming back to the ball, and not catching it when it gets to them. Has he missed wide open passes? Yep. Has he had some bad passes that stick out in our minds? Yep. He's stood up and admitted his shortfalls after every game win or lose. He's done nothing to deserve the vitriol and disgust that many have posted here.

Bottom line, he's a three time captain, the all time passing leader at Minnesota, and if anyone is going to bounce back from this tough of a year it's going to be him.

My solution is literally for him to let football go for a week or two, eat some turkey on thanksgiving, heal, rest, hang out with family and freinds, and come back rebooted and hopefully to a simplified gameplan for the bowl.

+1

Interestingly enough, Brew has demonstrated that with solid coaching on STs and D alone, a BT team can win enough to become bowl eligible even with overall very poor, inconsistent and erratic offensive results.

I would agree but we're pretty much right back where we started kinda.......

"Mason has demonstrated that with solid coaching on the Offense alone, a BT team can win enough to become bowl eligible even with overall very poor, inconsistent & erratic defensive results."

I would agree but we're pretty much right back where we started kinda.......

"Mason has demonstrated that with solid coaching on the Offense alone, a BT team can win enough to become bowl eligible even with overall very poor, inconsistent & erratic defensive results."

Exactly.

Now if going forward, Brew & Co can do with the O what Mason couldn't/wouldn't do with the D, the Gs might have something special at the Bank for quite some time.

I'm still not entirely sold on the defense. That third down conversion percentage is horrific. Over the long term a defense that doesn't get off the field is not going to win a lot of games, and I think that's really going to come into play with some of the offenses they'll face next season.

I'm just going to comment on that horrible grounding penalty. It was a screen play, the defense read it well and covered our RB, our lineman released from the defensive person they were blocking after a couple counts and ran down field. Would have been a penalty if Weber threw it out of bounds or to a receiver. It looked bad, but in that situation there wasn't much more he could do except run for it with little to no blocking.

But I digress, our offense sucks. Good job Defense though!

I'm still not entirely sold on the defense. That third down conversion percentage is horrific. Over the long term a defense that doesn't get off the field is not going to win a lot of games, and I think that's really going to come into play with some of the offenses they'll face next season.

Agreed K...but I really like the depth, speed and athleticism in the pipeline.

There is an active "Fire Cosgrove" thread here and Brew has stated that there's a lot of room for improvement on the D side as well...I doubt that he's going to take his foot off the Cosgrove/Lee pedal since his stated goal is to preside over a dominant BT D (ala Iowa,PSU,tOSU) under his watch.

That said, there seems to be no disagreement here that D/STs improvement enabled them to reach the 6-6 expectations of most knowledgeable observers/pundits and put them in a BT contractual bowl.

If the STs/D maintain or improve, the big key for a stepup in performance next year is to fix a broken O.

That's where JF/TD are going to justify their paychecks assuming they significantly coach-up on-field execution and integrate new talent into a comprehensible collegiate O scheme.

Agreed K...but I really like the depth, speed and athleticism in the pipeline.

There is an active "Fire Cosgrove" thread here and Brew has stated that there's a lot of room for improvement on the D side as well...I doubt that he's going to take his foot off the Cosgrove/Lee pedal since his stated goal is to preside over a dominant BT D (ala Iowa,PSU,tOSU) under his watch.

That said, there seems to be no disagreement here that D/STs improvement enabled them to reach the 6-6 expectations of most knowledgeable observers/pundits and put them in a BT contractual bowl.

If the STs/D maintain or improve, the big key for a stepup in performance next year is to fix a broken O.

That's where JF/TD are going to justify their paychecks assuming they significantly coach-up on-field execution and integrate new talent into a comprehensible collegiate O scheme.

Good lord, my head is hurting from reading such a calm, collected, reasonable post. Haven't you seen how mad or even psychotic you are supposed to be to take part in gopherhole banter?

Good lord, my head is hurting from reading such a calm, collected, reasonable post. Haven't you seen how mad or even psychotic you are supposed to be to take part in gopherhole banter?

Anyone who has been posting here for awhile knows that this board has a huge bi-polar flavor...especially after an unexpected bad loss or a very ugly win...and the deflated, irrational, delusional, emotional meltdown aftermath can be daunting for even the most seasoned, senior and battle-hardened posters in the Hole.

Otoh, that makes this GN community of mostly sensible, intelligent and passionate posters one of the most lively and fun sports entertainment discussion venues on the web imho.

Top Bottom