Offense Skill players? How will they be used?

Ole

Reaction score
Just curious what are the opinions/predictions out there on the different skill players, Brew has said none of the new skill guys will redshirt, a few probably will regardless after camp is over, but there is a big group of potential offensive skill guys.
WR/KR/PR
Decker-Obvious, but any new wrinkles, more slot maybe?
Green- Should be in the mix for a starting rotation spot
McKnight-Redzone threat, or starting material?
Kuznia-Does he play this year?
Brandon-Another big target, starting mix?
Stodermire-Utility/KR, will he be in the backfield, snaps at QB? Punt Returns?
Pittman-Flashed in the bowlgame
Carpenter-Deep threat, Slot, PR, or more?
Keise-Will he play/RS? Doesn't seem like a Special Team Coverage type
Allen-Same, maybe in the mix for returner
RB/FB
Bennett-3rd down blocker/receiver? Starter w 10-20 carries?
Whaley- Returner? Scatback type, can he catch?
Salamon-Some have suggested a Soph RS, could be a SP team guy
Eskridge-Starter? SP teams?
Lipscomb-Too good to RS? Mix in for a speed look?
Thomas-Sp teams, I'm going to guess he's going to have about the same role
Hoese-Fullback, Just a blocker? Will be be a goalline back like the bowlgame?
TE
Tow Arnett-Starter, I thoght he looked nice as a receiver last year, not sure about blocking
Lair-receiving threat, out wide?, blocking?
Hughes-Blocker, less PT this year or more with new offense
Hageman-Play right away, redzone, starter late in season? RS?
QB
Weber-Less called running plays this year? Any option, split out wide w/ Gray in game
Gray-10-20 plays a game or less? Split out wide, reverses? Option game? Pure pocket passing?

Alot there to discuss, I know, but posts have been pretty blah lately as far as actual football stuff, I thought I'd throw soemthing out there.
Go Gophs!

I think they are going to move Decker around a lot to keep the defenses honest. I think he needs to continue to prove he is a legitimate NFL type receiver and that means beating the cover guys (read cornerbacks) on the outside.

makes sense, I think with some of these other guys stepping up and the new offense, Decker will be doing alot less of the reverse/option type plays, Getting him banged up last year bit us pretty bad. He was basically a runningback split out wide. i'll guess your right and he focuses more on running good routes, classic receiver type stuff from numerous positions

Gray - like a brick of play-making plastic explosive (Brew's words, not mine)

I need to find my new gunner on the Kick off team. I hope from my sideline seats I get the same thrill of watching someone dodge and weave through blockers to get a tackle.

Johnny Johnson did pretty well for himself in gunner coverage last year, then got too ambitious and got some boneheaded penalties late in the year. I'm willing to bet a Dback like Lewis or Watkins contributes this year.

As for that quote on Gray, Man I love when Brew talks like that, If a quote like that doesn't bring a smirk and a good natured roll of the eyes to you, then you need to lighten up, Love it!

I really like this post.

Wide Receiver
Decker: Starter, mostly slot but moved around to keep defenses honest
Carpenter: Starter (if not from day 1 by mid-season), outside receiver primarily, best deep threat
Green: 3rd starter, will play outside & slot
McKnight: Will challenge for PT w/ Green, will play a lot in pro-set (2 WR, TE, FB, RB) because he should be a better blocker than Carpenter
Stoudermire: Used in slot and in a Percy Harvin type fashion on reverses, bubble screens, etc.
Kuznia: I see him getting less PT than last year, still a good possession WR
Allen: Take your pick with calling him either a poor man's Percy Harvin or Troy Stoudermire v2.0 with more speed. It will be interesting to see how quickly he picks up the offense and makes an impact and whether he takes touches away from Stoudermire. Aside from Carpenter, Allen appears to be our best deep threat.
Pittman: He didn't make a big contribution in the spring game so it is hard to project big things for him in 2009. Hopefully he proves me wrong.
Brandon: He is another Brodrick Smith/Dajon McKnight type larger WR. He was injured last year so it is hard to judge where he is at but it is also hard to project him to have a large role this season.
Keise: Barring injuries I don't see him as an impact player as a freshman. With all of the talent ahead of him I would personally like to see him redshirt and add some muscle and become the big WR and red zone that we need but I don't see him being that in 2009.

Punt Returner
I think Sherels will be replaced at PR by either Stoudermire, Allen, or Carpenter. Stoudermire would have had this role last year if he was more reliable catching punts. Hopefully he has improved or one of the others steps in because to me they all have a better chance of taking one to the house.

Kick Returner
It seems hard to imagine Stoudermire losing his job after leading the Big Ten in return yards last year. Allen or Carpenter seem the most likely alternatives. Jay Thomas is the other deep man and he is usually more of a blocker which he seems to fit better than putting another WR back there.

Running Back
This seems like the biggest crap shoot within the offense.
Thomas: Given his small role last year it is hard to project him to play much here. However, it sometimes takes 2 years to come back from an ACL injury so if his cutting is back it wouldn't surprise me to see him thrive in a more downhill running type of O.
Bennett: For lack of anyone else that has proven their ability to start I'll project Bennett as the starter. His return from an injury is a big question mark.
Eskridge: He was forced in to action before he was ready but a year of weight training should be hugely beneficial.
Whaley: I thought he looked better than Eskridge in the spring game. He runs harder like a bigger back than his actual size. He will have a role in the offense and get carries but I'm not sure how many carries he will get.
Lipscomb: I was watching a lot of his HS film recently and I personally think he will eventually be the best RB that we currently have in the program. I'm hesitant to admit that he reminds me of Maroney. He has breakaway speed and he already has the size to play DI football but until he gets in to camp we don't know whether he will pick up the blocking schemes to be a starting RB.
Salamon: I really like Shady but I don't see him playing as big of a role in this year's offense. He has good hands out of the backfield, and has the style to be a great short yardage running back when he adds more bulk.

Tight End
Tow-Arnett: Starter, good receiver across the middle
Lair: A lot of people like him but I'm not as high on him. The only time I've watched him was at the spring game and he didn't look as natural catching the ball as I expected for somebody considered to be a receiving tight end. He has added a lot of weight that should help him in the trenches. I reserve the right to change my mind when I see more of him.
Hughes: His primary PT will likely be in 2 TE sets and goal line as a blocking TE.
Hageman: I am very high on Hageman. Size wise he is Big Ten ready but technique wise it may take some time because there is a big jump from Mpls City Conference to Big Ten. In time he has the chance to be very good.

QB:
Weber: Starter, should compete for All Big Ten
Gray: Hopefully he sees 3-4 series a game. Like everyone else I am very high on him and I personally think he'll be better than Terrelle Pryor because he is a more natural QB instead of an athlete playing QB.
Alipate: Redshirt

I think that the recievers' roles are very much determined on their rapport with the QB than with their individual talent. If Weber likes throwing to Kuznia or Stoudermire, we'll see them a whole lot more than you might think. On the other side of that coin, maybe Brew will recognize that Gray likes throwing to a couple of different guys entirely...then you'll see those guys with Gray on the field.

Potentially, defenses would have to prepare for more than one offense.

Potentially, defenses would have to prepare for more than one offense.

There are still only so many hours of practice in the college level. I tend to find this a bit overrated. It works well early in the year but as the year goes on the scouting catches up, and you don't have a lot of time to work on two styles of offenses. It tends to be just a couple plays here and there.

There are still only so many hours of practice in the college level. I tend to find this a bit overrated. It works well early in the year but as the year goes on the scouting catches up, and you don't have a lot of time to work on two styles of offenses. It tends to be just a couple plays here and there.

All too true, my friend. All too true.

Maybe i should say my point was that if Gray was given the reigns to the offense as a 'change of pace', then part of that change of pace could potentially be that he comes with a significantly different set of recievers, and all of them have been focusing more on their own 'style' of offense.

Not two different offenses entirely, but more than just a change of quarterback.

Maybe i should say my point was that if Gray was given the reigns to the offense as a 'change of pace', then part of that change of pace could potentially be that he comes with a significantly different set of recievers, and all of them have been focusing more on their own 'style' of offense.

Not two different offenses entirely, but more than just a change of quarterback.

This I can agree with. Maybe more bootleg on playaction then straight drop back. Maybe less complicated running plays so they are easier to read at the line. Probably just as many QB draws since we tend to use Adam in this way anyhow.

A change in QB can be important. Look at the game vs NU.

NU ran the same offense they ran in every other game. Kafka was an entirely different QB from Bacher, and our D wasn't ready for it.

A change in QB can be important. Look at the game vs NU.

NU ran the same offense they ran in every other game. Kafka was an entirely different QB from Bacher, and our D wasn't ready for it.

This is how my prediction of how the intial use of Gray would go until scouting caught up. If up to that point kafka was used 2-3 series a game doing what he did, don't you think we would have been more prepared for it?

This is how my prediction of how the intial use of Gray would go until scouting caught up. If up to that point kafka was used 2-3 series a game doing what he did, don't you think we would have been more prepared for it?

Do you think we should hold Gray back for a few games and then unleash him for more than half the game against somebody?

That is a good question. I guess I would rather see him perform well within the offense then just be a gimick. The 2-3 series a game allows him to develop and do film study within the confines of the offense. I'm sure like you said certain plays will be geared for him, and he can learn how to adapt to the different defenses each week with a smaller set of plays. This will give him some training in how to read defenses, how to study film, and how to adapt.

I honestly thought we were saving a few plays/players here and there with the new personnel last year for the OSU game. I kept telling my buddies I had a feeling we were goign to bust out some new players/plays, it seemed smart to me, but never happened. Now that I consider everything maybe it's never an option for a DIV I football team. Get the W's when you can I suppose, they'll either use Gray/Lipscomb/Allen/etc early if they're ready, or ease them in later if they're not.

Skill Players

I realize we're going to be under center most of the time, but I'd really like to see a formation that included Gray, Weber, and Pittman lined up next to each other in the shotgun just to give an opposing DC indigestion.

Top Bottom