Offense identity???

WHB Brewer

Reaction score
What is the identity of this offense? I've been trying to figure it out, and it just baffles me.

Brewster came in preaching Spread, Spread, Spread. By the end of year 2, we fire the O-Coordinator, then preach the "Power Running Game". That lasted all of one game (last year's bowl).

This year, we have a new O-Coordinator, and we seem just plain overmatched on offense. We have one game (Mich.St) where the offense looks semi-competent. The next week vs. ILL we come out like we are the '98 Vikes and try to throw deep on every play, with the QB failing to hit on any of them. This week, we are playing a small team from 1-AA. You would expect a power run, then play-action pass to take advantage of their small size and lack of athleticism. Instead we come out running sweeps and screen passes.

Are our coaches this bad that we have absolutely no identity on offense after 3 years?

I agree with your premise

but in the Illinois game a QB who was accurate some of the time would have shredded that defense. What do you want tthem to do? They had open receivers every play, and Weber mostly identified them. He missed almost all of them, badly.

When a QB is playing that bad, it si quite simple..... BENCH THE QUARTERBACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How hard is that?

The Spread was the Mistake

If Brewster would have come in with a ProStyle offense with the talent (still limited) that was in the fold instead of wasting two years in the speadcoast (make me puke) offense. And continued to recruit for the ProStyle power running offense. We'd be two years further down the road, and would likely have an even better identy as a running back school based, in part on the limited foundation that was left.

I support the dismissal of the SpreadGod. Unfortunately, it means that I have to be patient for a bit again. In other posts I have stated that I think the new offense, throwing motion and new responsibilities regarding blocking assignments has Weber distracted from his true QB duties of getting balls to receivers, and otherwise thinking on his feet. Sometimes it looked like he was trying to figure out what blocking scheme should be called next time rather than considering the 3-5 yard run gain. Resulting in a sack, or worse.

The INTs-I got no answer for. This a problem unto itself. However, If some other more incremental improvements were made, I think the number of INTs. Particularly the very painful - didn't see'em INTs would decrease.

What is the identity of this offense? I've been trying to figure it out, and it just baffles me.

Brewster came in preaching Spread, Spread, Spread. By the end of year 2, we fire the O-Coordinator, then preach the "Power Running Game". That lasted all of one game (last year's bowl).

This year, we have a new O-Coordinator, and we seem just plain overmatched on offense. We have one game (Mich.St) where the offense looks semi-competent. The next week vs. ILL we come out like we are the '98 Vikes and try to throw deep on every play, with the QB failing to hit on any of them. This week, we are playing a small team from 1-AA. You would expect a power run, then play-action pass to take advantage of their small size and lack of athleticism. Instead we come out running sweeps and screen passes.

Are our coaches this bad that we have absolutely no identity on offense after 3 years?

our identity

Our identity is 3 plays and a cloud of crap. Followed by a punt.

The SDSU linebacker blitzed and came in clean about 8 times in the first half. I can't even blame Weber for that! WTF. They came right up the middle and our center and guards would let them through untouched. Terrible blocking.

Top Bottom