Oct. 7, 1916: šŸˆ Georgia Tech 222, Cumberland 0

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Axios Sports:

104 years ago today, Georgia Tech beat Cumberland College, 222-0, in the most lopsided game in college football history.

The mismatch:
  • Georgia Tech was a national powerhouse at the time. The Yellow Jackets were coached by John Heisman and went on to win the 1917 national title.
  • Cumberland College (Lebanon, Tennessee) had shut down its football program that spring, but when Heisman insisted they honor their scheduling agreement, they were forced to put a team together mostly from scratch.
By the numbers:
  • Georgia Tech put up at least 42 points in every quarter (63, 63, 54 and 42), scored 32 touchdowns and averaged 17.3 yards per play (all rushes).
  • Cumberland committed 15 turnovers (nine fumbles lost, six interceptions), did not gain a first down, and finished with negative-28 total yards.
Fun fact: Heisman coached football, baseball and basketball at Georgia Tech, and his running up the score in this game was reportedly an act of revenge against Cumberland's baseball team, which had run up the score against Tech, 22-0.

Go Gophers!!

I first read about this in Strange But True Football Stories when I was in 2nd grade, one of the most influential books of my youth.

The Gophers beat a few teams during that era by over 100 points, including Macalester which has been in a rebuilding mode ever since.

Did they go for two on the last touchdown? :cool:

per Axios Sports:

104 years ago today, Georgia Tech beat Cumberland College, 222-0, in the most lopsided game in college football history.

The mismatch:
  • Georgia Tech was a national powerhouse at the time. The Yellow Jackets were coached by John Heisman and went on to win the 1917 national title.
  • Cumberland College (Lebanon, Tennessee) had shut down its football program that spring, but when Heisman insisted they honor their scheduling agreement, they were forced to put a team together mostly from scratch.
By the numbers:
  • Georgia Tech put up at least 42 points in every quarter (63, 63, 54 and 42), scored 32 touchdowns and averaged 17.3 yards per play (all rushes).
  • Cumberland committed 15 turnovers (nine fumbles lost, six interceptions), did not gain a first down, and finished with negative-28 total yards.
Fun fact: Heisman coached football, baseball and basketball at Georgia Tech, and his running up the score in this game was reportedly an act of revenge against Cumberland's baseball team, which had run up the score against Tech, 22-0.

Go Gophers!!
I didnā€™t realize Dr. Tom Osborne coached at GT early in his career.

They probably didn't wear Scott Frost's hoodies.

Georgia Southern would have won by 228.

I've lost some respect for Heisman. Sounds like a bully and a guy who doesn't know what sportsmanship is.

Clemson 73, Ga Tech 7.

Instant Karma's gonna get you, gonna knock you right in the head.

Cumberland alums, rejoice!

Listened to it while dealing with leaves. Tech had a pulse for about 5 minutes and then went downhill obviously fast.

The end score was a new "greatest spread" record for Clemson over an opponent...went from 63 points to 66 points with this "victory."

One of the announcers must have said 80 times that he saw no problem runnning it up in conference play. It was old by the end although pretty much even Clemson's waterboys saw action on the field by the end. Even Tech put in the back-up QB to give him some reps in the 4th Quarter (their starter is a freshman to boot too). That kind of game.

Meanwhile Bama took it to my beloved Bulldogs once again. Kirby Smart is 0-4 against his old boss. Let the grumbling begin...

Top Bottom