OC Possible Insight?

SRSKSM

FB Season Ticket Holder
Reaction score
Brewster has said that the OC he hires will have NFL experience. Most of the names tossed around as possibilities don't have any NFL experience. How about some names who have coached in the NFL.

I know it's a huge longshot as he just had NFL head coaching gig, but could it be Scott Linehan? He was a successful OC in college and the pros, and he's got nothing lined up for '09 that I know of. The big drawback would be that he would probably get an NFL OC offer after 1 successful year at Minnesota.

Scott Linehan could be an amazing get for Brewster.
OC and good at training QBs? Check.
Knows how to run the ball and also instill a good passing game? Check.
Yeah - I'd be on board for this one!

Concerned

For much of this year I have had a real good feeling about the Gopher program. Actually, I don't remember feeling as positive about the program as I did after my girlfriend and I made a road trip to Purdue this year. At that time we were talking Rose Bowl (as an outside shot), Capitol One Bowl, or Outback Bowl. The defense was playing amazingly well by Gopher standards, the offsense was doing OK, and recruiting was on-track. Since that point it's been a pretty rough ride...the end of the season, particularly the Iowa game, was painful, the offense sputtered, the D dropped a few notches...then recruiting ceased...then the bowl loss (again)...then Carter & McNeal chose other schools (getting at least one seemed probable)...then Ted Roof's departure...then talk of Cosgrove (not a good sign judging by most posters)/ Wow, what a rough couple of months! Is this program really falling or is all the talk more of a Chicken Little phenomenon? I am sick about the Gophers now and hope that we are going to reverse course soon. Getting a great OC (as Brew said we would) would be a great step. Is that going to happen? e need some good news fast!

"Recruiting ceased." Interesting assessment. We have a better class than last year's, judging by Rivals' points system. More overall ability.

It was Davis and Kiffin that did not get along!

Rumor is that Shanahan may be in the Twin cities today....not to take the job but to assist Brewster in the search for a new OC....

"Recruiting ceased." Interesting assessment. We have a better class than last year's, judging by Rivals' points system. More overall ability.

Yeah, I don't know why so many people are saying that. Our class this year is way more talented across the board. We may have had more high end recruits last year but we also had more low end recruits as well. This year we have a lot of high 3-star guys.

Rumor is that Shanahan may be in the Twin cities today....not to take the job but to assist Brewster in the search for a new OC....

That would be nice. Maybe this Cosgrove BS will be slapped away by Shanny.

"Ceased" may have been the wrong word to use but...let's see. In the last month we've signed Allen, Willis, and Paige (please feel free to tell me there are more as I'm sure there are) and not signed McNeal, Carter, and Lewan (and I'm sure there are more), which seemed to be our biggest 3 targets...not exactly recruiting success. I never said our class wasn't good, it is. But it had a chance to be much better and ore recruting momentum has definitely sputtered/stalled/slowed/hit a speed bump (choose your own description)

what?? come on?? No way he came here for something like that?? anyone confirm this??

"Ceased" may have been the wrong word to use but...let's see. In the last month we've signed Allen, Willis, and Paige (please feel free to tell me there are more as I'm sure there are) and not signed McNeal, Carter, and Lewan (and I'm sure there are more), which seemed to be our biggest 3 targets...not exactly recruiting success. I never said our class wasn't good, it is. But it had a chance to be much better and ore recruting momentum has definitely sputtered/stalled/slowed/hit a speed bump (choose your own description)

We have signed one player right now. The rest are verbal commitments. Simply not the same.

As for the commits we do have, I will refer to one of my previous posts where I mentioned how much the recruiting expectations have changed under Brewster. We have fewer spots to give out, we have a recruiting class that might be in the top 25 when it is all said and done, and people are genuinely concerned because a couple 4* recruits chose to go elsewhere. Interesting.

People can knock Brewster legitimately on a lot of things, but recruiting simply should not be one of them.

12th man...

You can argue all you want but you just can't make the argument that we are better off now, finishing 7-6 and looking for 2 new coordinators than we were when we were 7-1 and had Roof, which was my original point. The grass, including recruiting, were a lot greener then and I don't see how anyone can say it wasn't. I am concerned about the direction this program has taken over the past 2 months. 'Nuff said.

12th man...

You can argue all you want but you just can't make the argument that we are better off now, finishing 7-6 and looking for 2 new coordinators than we were when we were 7-1 and had Roof, which was my original point. The grass, including recruiting, were a lot greener then and I don't see how anyone can say it wasn't. I am concerned about the direction this program has taken over the past 2 months. 'Nuff said.

Just as we shouldn't measure this team by the first eight games only neither should you measure them by the last 5. At the very least you should look at the year as a whole. And at the very least you should measure this recruiting class by where we were at this time last year and not where we were after LOI day in the context of a smaller class.

Our record and level of play improved considerably this year over last. This recruiting class is better than last years. But if you want to take a smaller snap shot and claim that as the total picture than by all means go right ahead.

indiana gopher

Are you sitting in the living room with recruits? are you stalking Brewster when he's on visits? How would you know recruiting has ceased? As far as I know the coaches are still out recruiting and we have one of the best players on the board coming in for a visit soon. recruiting has not ceased until national signing day, this staff breathes recruiting.

Brewster was in Denver on Thursday on the final leg of a recruiting trip that took him to Los Angeles and Houston. He is scheduled to be back in the Twin Cities today, when an announcement on the new defensive coordinator is expected.

"That will be announced shortly," Brewster said Thursday afternoon. The offensive coordinator position could be filled by early next week.

"Both positions are in great shape," Brewster said. "We're in very similar positions with both."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/37312854.html?page=1&c=y

what?? come on?? No way he came here for something like that?? anyone confirm this??

I cannot confirm, but Brewster did work under Shanahan in Denver. So, it's a possibility that they talked about OC. Now, for Shanahan to BE the Minnesota OC, I think, would have a nearly 0% chance. But just to talk? Why not?

I cannot confirm, but Brewster did work under Shanahan in Denver. So, it's a possibility that they talked about OC. Now, for Shanahan to BE the Minnesota OC, I think, would have a nearly 0% chance. But just to talk? Why not?

Talk...... fine, but no way in hell he flew into MN.

On diff topic..... does brew and maturi not realize this guys is not liked (Cosgrove)??? I mean there is a website about the guy. Is it really possible they would look past all the negativity and hire the guy??

Like I have said before: Cosgrove is just a trendy name because of his connection to Brewster and Maturi.

The new defensive coordinator will not be Cosgrove. MARK MY WORDS.

Like I have said before: Cosgrove is just a trendy name because of his connection to Brewster and Maturi.

The new defensive coordinator will not be Cosgrove. MARK MY WORDS.

I would go streaking if you are right!!!

Is there an e-mail address for the public to e-mail the U athletics department??? We need to blow it up with dont hire Coz msgs

Best Guess for OC if NFL Exp is Required

Jay Norvell has joined Oklahoma's football staff as co-offensive coordinator and receivers coach. OU head coach Bob Stoops made the announcement today.

Technically it's the second tour of duty for Norvell with Oklahoma. He had been announced in a similar position prior to the 2002 season, but then opted to join the staff of the Oakland Raiders of the National Football League.

Norvell left the Oakland Raiders in February of 2004 for a three-year stint at Nebraska. In 2007, he was the offensive coordinator at UCLA.

"Jay has a varied and impressive background of coaching both college and professional football and we are excited that he is coming to Oklahoma," Stoops said. "He brings with him expertise in both coaching and recruiting and we feel there are significant contributions that he can make to our program."

Norvell said that the positives of the Oklahoma program are overwhelming.

"I'm so excited to work with Bob and the staff there," he said. "I have so much respect for that program. The talent of the team, the quality of the staff and the tremendous support all mean so much to me. I've worked at a lot of schools and I know that this is a special situation.

"I've known Bob for a long time and he is tops. Several of the assistant coaches are good friends to so there are just so many positive aspects to this move."

The new Sooner assistant said his background should benefit the OU program.

"I've been fortunate to have a lot of different experiences at the college and pro level, including coaching in a Super Bowl," he said. "I know the Big 12 and I know the defenses in that league. I feel like I can contribute in both coaching and recruiting. I've had the opportunity to work with a lot of good coaches and players and feel I can make specific contribution with the passing game."

During Norvell's three years on the Husker staff, Nebraska produced some of the best passing statistics in school history while running the West Coast Offense.

In 2006, Nebraska was one of just two schools to rank in the top 25 in rushing offense, passing offense, total offense and scoring offense. The Cornhuskers ranked 23rd nationally in passing, averaging 244.1 yards per game; 23rd in rushing, averaging 170.5 yards on the ground; 14th in total offense, averaging 414.6 yards per game; and 17th in scoring, averaging 30.6 points per game.

In 2006, senior quarterback Zac Taylor earned Big 12 Conference Offensive Player of the Year honors. He set school records with 3,197 passing yards and 26 touchdowns while completing 233 of 391 passes to lead the Cornhuskers to a 9-5 record and a Big 12 North title. He also set a school total offense record with 3,165 yards and ranked 20th nationally in passing efficiency.

In 2005, Taylor, a junior college transfer, broke the Nebraska single-game records for passing yards (431), completions (36), attempts (55) and total offense (433), as well as single-season Husker marks for completions (237) and attempts (430).

During his first campaign in Lincoln (2004), Norvell, 44, helped the Husker quarterbacks post the fifth 2,000-plus yard passing season in program history. Nebraska's 186.9 passing yards per game in 2004 were its highest in nearly three decades, since averaging 188.0 per game in 1976.

In addition to his duties coaching the quarterbacks and coordinating the offense, Norvell also directed the Huskers' Elite Quarterback Camp in the summer and had oversight responsibility for Nebraska's video operations.

In May 2006, Norvell was also one of 25 participants at the Expert Coaches Academy, an NCAA initiative that addresses a critical shortage in ethnic minorities in head coaching positions within college football. The academy assists coaches with career advancement, networking and exposure opportunities.

Prior to joining the Huskers, Norvell coached the Oakland Raider tight ends under current Nebraska head coach Bill Callahan in 2002 and 2003. A key component for Oakland, the tight ends were led by Doug Jolley, who topped 30 receptions in each season, including 32 catches for 409 yards in Oakland's drive to the AFC Championship in 2002.

In 2002, the Raiders featured the most prolific offense in the National Football League, averaging nearly 390 total offense yards per game. Norvell played a key role in designing the Raiders' passing attack that averaged 279.7 yards per contest. Oakland culminated the season with two explosive offensive efforts in the playoffs, defeating the New York Jets 30-10, before gaining a 41-24 victory over the Tennessee Titans in the AFC Championship Game.

From 1998 through 2001, he served as wide receivers coach for the Indianapolis Colts, working with the passing game and tutoring All-Pro receiver Marvin Harrison. In Norvell's final season with the Colts, Harrison had 109 catches for 1,524 yards and 15 touchdowns.

In 2002, Harrison became the only player in league history to have four consecutive 100-catch seasons. While he was coached by Norvell, Harrison had 385 receptions for 5,376 yards and 48 touchdowns.

Before his jump to the NFL with the Colts, Norvell has mentored 10 players that went on to professional careers. He spent the 1995 through 1997 seasons on Dan McCarney's staff at Iowa State, serving as assistant head coach and quarterbacks and receivers coach.

Under Norvell, the ISU passing attack improved by nearly 100 yards per game in 1997, when wideout Ty Watley led the Big 12 with 827 receiving yards.

Norvell had worked with McCarney as an assistant at Wisconsin. He was with the Badgers from 1989 to 1994, serving the final five of those years as the offensive line coach. Norvell helped the Badger program to a Big Ten championship and Rose Bowl berth against UCLA in 1993. Wisconsin finished the season with a 10-1-1 record and a No. 6 final national ranking.

In Norvell's final season at UW, the Badgers finished 8-3-1 and played in the Hall of Fame Bowl. Both Callahan (Philadelphia Eagles) and Norvell (Iowa State) left Wisconsin following the 1994 campaign. Wide receiver Lee DeRamus was Norvell's top product at Wisconsin, compiling 119 catches for 1,974 yards and 15 touchdowns from 1991 to 1993. Norvell began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Iowa in 1986 before joining the Northern Iowa staff in 1988.

Norvell played at Iowa from 1981 to 1985. He was an All-Big Ten defensive back in 1985, leading the league with seven interceptions, and helped Iowa to a league title and a Rose Bowl appearance. At Iowa, Norvell was associated with five bowl teams, including two Rose Bowl squads (1981, 1985 versus UCLA), a pair of Big Ten championship teams and a team that spent five weeks ranked No. 1 in 1985. He also played one season as a member of the Chicago Bears in 1987.

Top Bottom