Oakland on Gophers' 2011-12 nonconference schedule

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
http://oaklandpostonline.com/2011/02/11/sports/schedule-2011-12/

According to Grizzlies head coach Greg Kampe, the schools have a verbal agreement to play in Minnesota next season. In addition, Grandpa Sid reported some time ago that the Gophers will again host North Dakota State and South Dakota State. So if Sid's accurate (never a certainty) it would mean three Summit League teams on the Gophers' nonconference schedule.

Oakland just played in the NCAA tourney for the second straight season but will lose graduating stud big-man Keith Benson to the NBA.

Not bad for the cupcake portion of the schedule. However, with (likely) no ACC home game and a weak pre-season tournament, they simply have to get a BCS home game with someone. They don't have a single one that wasn't ACC challenge-induced in 4 years and it's pathetic.

Not bad for the cupcake portion of the schedule. However, with (likely) no ACC home game and a weak pre-season tournament, they simply have to get a BCS home game with someone. They don't have a single one that wasn't ACC challenge-induced in 4 years and it's pathetic.

How about keeping the Philly thing going with a home and home with Villanova. Talent rich area is a good place to be seen for recruiting.

We seem to have a knack for scheduling mid/small-major teams that were really good the year before (i.e. Oakland, Cornell & Siena this past season) but who lost significant players largely responsible for that success. Somehow I don't think that's an accident. I call it the "year after" scheduling philosophy.

Even so, as long as we get a couple decent NCAA qualifiers and/or RPI top-100-type opponents amongst our "buy" games (i.e. Wofford & Akron) and pepper in a BCS home opponent or two (as Howeda pointed out, something Tubby's never done without the help of the ACC Challenge), I would hope the NC home sked improves next season, especially with preferred seating right around the corner.

Top Bottom