O Line

TCF=UnitedWeStand

Reaction score
I thought they had a terrible first half, but I thought a really good 2nd half, with only a couple blips. I don't know if adjustments were made, but they got better as the game went on, particularly when Shortell came in (minus the shot Shortell took on the incomplete pass).

Bennett, the H-Backs (Lair) and Tight Ends (McGarry), also, for the most part, did a GREAT job in the 2nd half picking up the blitzes and helping contain the pressure.

I thought they had a terrible first half, but I thought a really good 2nd half, with only a couple blips. I don't know if adjustments were made, but they got better as the game went on, particularly when Shortell came in (minus the shot Shortell took on the incomplete pass).

Bennett, the H-Backs (Lair) and Tight Ends (McGarry), also, for the most part, did a GREAT job in the 2nd half picking up the blitzes and helping contain the pressure.

The O-Line definitely has some work to do. There were a number of instances of missed assignments. One in particular sticks out where Gjere blocked nobody at all while the DE got a free run at the QB. These things are to be expected and I'm sure that there are lots of "teachable moments" on the game film. I look forward to seeing what Kill and Limegrover do with them.

Shortell and Gray

What I think has been lost on those discussing a potential quarterback controversy, is that on almost every play where MarQueis dropped back he had about half a second before someone was coming off the edge to kill him, he never really seemed to have much time at all....

On Shortell's scoring drive, he made accurate throws when the line protected him well. But when USC D-line got pressure on Shortell, he didn't exactly find open receivers everytime either.

Stating the obvious here, but with stronger o-line play both QBs will have a lot more success.

The OL play is an example of good coaching adjustments. It isn't really that they played a lot better in the 2nd half, though I do think they did. The real difference was the playcalling. The coaches saw that straight dropbacks where our young OL had to block their stud DL was not going to work. Thus, they moved the pocket. Gray started to have a little more success when he got outside the pocket on half-rolls and play action. As I remember, the first play for Shortell was a half-roll as well. This made the OL look better because it simplified their assignments.

Roll-outs simplify things for QBs also, which is what Kill was talking about at the half. The reason things get simpler is that the QB is only working with 1/2 of the field. Sprints, half-rolls, and bootlegs (all of which we saw in the 2nd half) effectively take away the backside of the field and narrow the vision of the QB. The result is an easier set of reads for the QB because he only has to worry about 1/2 of the field.

Now, coaches need to be careful not to roll continuously to one side, as the defense will adjust. They also can't just move immediately on the snap, as the defense will jump the play. That is why you saw some bootlegs (out of the gun, still) mixed in. That way, it looked like they were going one way before heading the other. The simplification is still accomplished, but it keeps the defense honest.

I suspect you will see more of that going forward, especially with Gray in at QB. It stretches the field horizontally and forces the defense to respect his legs. When Shortell is in, and I think he will be, they will stretch the field vertically. He is better at sitting in the pocket, which gives the receivers more time to make double moves (post-corners, out & ups, etc.). That, of course, requires more from the OL.

I'm betting that they will experiment with both QBs over the next three weeks. They are going to want to know specifically what each one can do well so that they can put the QBs in a position to make plays. Same with the OL. They want to see what these kids can do well and want to avoid putting them in a position to fail when the chips are down.

I thought the pass blocking was adaquate at best, even when Shortell was in the game, USC was playing a little bit of a prevent so he mostly threw 10 yard passes.

There was major talent disparity between our o-line and their d-line. It's not surprising they were getting pressure.

Considering you are starting a RS and a Sophomore we should expect the first few games to be dicey at those positions.

Hopefully by the time the Big Ten schedule starts the young guys on the line will have their legs under them.

Gjere has a lot of potential and once he gets some experience under his belt he'll be very good.

They'll get better. It's not uncommon for O-lines that are playing together for the first time, especially with some players who are lacking experience, to play poorly. Especially when playing on the road against a quality D-line. I expect that the next three games will go a long way to building their confidence and increasing their effectiveness. I believe this group will impress us all by the time B1G play comes around.

We need more out of Eddie. He got beat a number of times and you expect that to happen against a USC d-line. But how many penalties did he have - 2 or 3?

We need him to stabilize this thing

One thing nobody seems to mention is the Offense was up against Monte Kiffin. Monte has college experience as the Linebackers coach at Nebraska, Defensive Coordinator with the Vikes, Tampa. He has forgotten more than most know about line stunts, twists, scrapes, boundery blitz, overloads. He put 8 in the box and said beat us with your arm. And after some success throwing it. He brought 5, then 6, 7 and the all out 8. You combine that with Limegrover being in the box, and communication to field a question it left the o line, and Gray on their own. Given the time at half to adjust the results were a turn around. You had Lair, McGarry in there for the blitz, and Bennett did a good job also. Once we were able to stop the blitz, it opened the passing game. And it was Gray to Lair, Gray for 14, and the Bennett on an inside zone play, or trap. The rest is Shortell. To his credit he scrambled his way out of a blitz. In the fourth quarter with the game on the line the O Line was doing the job.

It was clear.

This O-line did some good things especially on the quick developing runs and the shorter drops late in the game. USC has a very athletic and fast D-line and that was a tough matchup for our line to handle. That being said they probably wont have to work against a group that athletic most of this season. The coaches did a good job in the second half when throwing the ball to go with quicker drops.

I think some of the pressure can be blamed at times on the quarterback play. Marques Gray was very hesitant in almost everything he did in the first half giving the D-line more time to get to him. The longer the line had to block the worse they would perform because they were going up against better athletes. As time goes along the line can grow even more and we will see better play. I was very happy they looked as good as they did compared to past years I see some positive signs going forward. This group needs to stay healthy and the young players need to continue to get better. If they do this team will be much better.

I have a hard time judging line play, and have a really hard time determining the more nuanced factors in line play. With that being said, it appeared to me that the Gophers spent more plays in the 2nd half keeping the TE or HBack near the guards during motion to help with the blocking. Maybe I saw it wrong.

One more item is that I think our line was much better conditioned than the U$C line, giving us that advantage.

This reminds me of an irritation I had with the broadcast.

The only thing ESPN/ABC did was to show who the impact players were. At no time did they show the starting line ups.

I saw that Olson and Gjere were the OT, I saw Wynn at C and Bunders at OG, but for the life of me I couldn't make out who the other OG was.

On the DL I saw Wilhite and Garin, Jacobs and Kirksey, but I don't know who else rotated in.

Any help on the starters vs the backups on both lines would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Top Bottom