NY Times article on Gophers legend John Kundla: Almost 100, ‘Forgotten Legend of Bbal

BleedGopher

Reaction score
H/t to DeathClutch who posted this on the OT board, but I thought it should be on this board since he is a Gopher great. Per the NY Times:

John Kundla sat in a wheelchair playing cribbage opposite his 68-year-old son, calling out numbers in a quiet, deep voice. The efficiency apartment here had a twin bed under a painting of Jesus tending sheep; a desk topped with a large magnifying glass and a Bible; and, resting on a shelf, a photograph taken on a basketball court in 1952 showing Kundla atop the shoulders of a jubilant George Mikan, the sport’s most dominant big man in the first half of the 20th century.

Kundla, 99, was the head coach of the Minneapolis Lakers’ championship teams of the 1940s and 1950s — professional basketball’s first modern dynasty. He is the oldest living Hall of Famer in any of the four major American team sports and one of three N.B.A. coaches, along with Red Auerbach and Phil Jackson, to have won three or more consecutive titles.

Kundla is “a forgotten legend of basketball,” according to the historian John Christgau, author of the book “The Origins of the Jump Shot.” His Lakers ruled the league in the years before the shot clock, at a time when players were still shooting free throws underhand. Kundla coached in the N.B.A.’s first four All-Star games, and his five league titles are tied for third with Pat Riley and Gregg Popovich. He is also the only coach in league history to win a title in his first two N.B.A. seasons (the first when it was called the B.A.A.) — a feat that Steve Kerr will match if the Golden State Warriors win this year’s championship.

Yet even at the peak of his team’s success, Kundla was so laid-back during games and overshadowed by his talented players that the Sporting News once said: “Few ever heard of John Kundla.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/03/s...nal-coach-still-marvels-at-the-game.html?_r=0

Go Gophers!!

Nice article. Thanks for posting!

The Dahlman boys call him Grandpa!

per Shooter:

Golden State’s Steve Kerr can become only the second coach in NBA history to win championships in each of his first two seasons. The only coach to have achieved that is Johnny Kundla, who led the Minneapolis Lakers to titles in 1948 and 1949.

“I had a good bunch of guys who jelled together,” Kundla said Friday of teams that included stars George Mikan, Jim Pollard, Vern Mikkelsen and Slater Martin. “They controlled both backboards. I was lucky to get the players I had — give them all the credit.”

Kundla, who turns 100 years old on July 3 and resides in northeast Minneapolis, watched Golden State’s 104-89 victory over Cleveland in Game 1 of the NBA Finals.

“I don’t like the way they shove and push each other and the fake charges,” Kundla said. “They keep falling down purposely. That’s not good at all. There’s a lot of stuff going on. It was a wild game.”

Kundla is in decent health and remains mentally sharp.

“I feel fine — no problems,” he said. “The tough part of being old is your hearing goes and your eyes go — that’s the sad part of it. But I couldn’t live this long without my family — they are wonderful. One takes care of the laundry, one takes care of the banking, one the letter writing. Thanks to my family, I’m here.

“I look like a million, but I’m only 99.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/06/04/charley-walters-steve-kerr-can-match-johnny-kundlas-mark/

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Golden State’s Steve Kerr can become only the second coach in NBA history to win championships in each of his first two seasons. The only coach to have achieved that is Johnny Kundla, who led the Minneapolis Lakers to titles in 1948 and 1949.

“I had a good bunch of guys who jelled together,” Kundla said Friday of teams that included stars George Mikan, Jim Pollard, Vern Mikkelsen and Slater Martin. “They controlled both backboards. I was lucky to get the players I had — give them all the credit.”

Kundla, who turns 100 years old on July 3 and resides in northeast Minneapolis, watched Golden State’s 104-89 victory over Cleveland in Game 1 of the NBA Finals.

“I don’t like the way they shove and push each other and the fake charges,” Kundla said. “They keep falling down purposely. That’s not good at all. There’s a lot of stuff going on. It was a wild game.”

Kundla is in decent health and remains mentally sharp.

“I feel fine — no problems,” he said. “The tough part of being old is your hearing goes and your eyes go — that’s the sad part of it. But I couldn’t live this long without my family — they are wonderful. One takes care of the laundry, one takes care of the banking, one the letter writing. Thanks to my family, I’m here.

“I look like a million, but I’m only 99.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/06/04/charley-walters-steve-kerr-can-match-johnny-kundlas-mark/

Go Gophers!!

Great article on a true legend.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I see him about twice a month. He goes to church daily.

Was Gopher coach when I attended my first game 1964.

As the Gopher coach Kundla finally got some players when ass't coach Glen Reed recruited Hudson, Yates, and Archie Clark. Unfortunately during those same years that they played Michigan had Cazzie Russell, Bill Buntin, and Oliver Darden.

Top Bottom