Nothing But Nylon's B1G Preview

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

This seems about right. Finishing in Purgatory or the Basement with this club would be disappointing. Really bad conference teams abound.

Favorites: Iowa, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan
Contenders: Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern
Purgatory: Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers
Basement: Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin

MINNESOTA​

Head coach: Lindsay Whalen (4th season)

2020-21 record: 8-13 (7-11)

Conference finish: 10th

Minnesota quite literally is missing only one player from last season’s roster, and that player appeared in three games in 2020-21. So, you can expect the Gophers to look pretty similar to a year ago.

A lot of Big Ten women’s basketball teams return a good chunk of talent from last season, but Minnesota takes it to another level. Jasmine Powell, Sara Scalia, Kadi Sissoko, Gadiva Hubbard, Klarke Sconiers, Alexia Smith, Kayla Mershon, Laura Bagwell Katalinich, they’re all back and presumably better with another offseason and more experience in them. Smith and Sissoko were both five-star recruits, and Lindsay Whalen has to think she can get more out of both of them, especially Smith

tripledouble

Reaction score
I agree that they seem to have it about right. Although I'm still thinking that OSU and PSU have a chance to move up to the contender category. I might be too optimistic, but I'm hoping that the Gophers can finish in the top half of the conference and secure an NCAA tourney bid. Whalen certainly has the numbers this year with almost everyone returning, but we'll have to see if and how much some of the returning players improve, especially people like Kadi, Clarke, and all of the guards.

whalenfan

Reaction score
I dont understand the Ohio State part of that but I agree with the rest. OSU is gonna have some dang good guards and will be able to score with anyone. Outside of the bottom 3 teams this conference will be tough.

Top Bottom