Notes from GLC Button Hook Social

Triple D

Reaction score
I attended the Social tonight and here are some notes, I was wondering if it would be poor form to share some of what Coach Kill said but none of it is too sensitive to keep from sharing to give NW an edge. He said one mistake he made against Iowa was not calling a time out in the First Quarter to settle down the team and stem some of the Hawkeyes early momentum, said he would have gathered the whole team like he does just before half and if he would have got a delay penalty he would have been fine with it just to have the chance to rally the troops.

Credits players for being upset that they lost which he didn't see as much of after last years losses. Credited Mike Rallis for immediately getting off the bus and heading for the film room. Kill also shared on a side note that Conner Cosgrove is organizing a haircutting Cancer benefit and he and the players are trying to get Rallis to join in and cut his hair, Kill said he'd even pay for it drawing laughs.

Andre McDonald should be back on the field. Gray will be a game time decision and had been practicing and trying to adjust.

Kill's mom was there and he spoke about how he was raised and how he credits his family a lot for his success. His dad was hard but fair and taught him hard work pays off. He gave immense credit to his wife Rebecca for raising their kids and he was guilty of being a workaholic but is very proud of how they turned out.

He spoke about translating those hard working values to the team and would not allow players to try and get away with anything, he used Carter as an example of not letting him play until he shaped up and to Carter's credit he did and look at the way he's playing now. Players respect knowing where they stand. He had a former player call him the other day that he had actually thrown off one of his former teams telling him that he didn't appreciate the message enough at the time but learned a valuable life lesson and is now trying to get his cousin who is a highly regarded prospect to play for Kill at Minnesota.

Talked about the walk-on program and how important it is, 9 seniors he had at NIU who are currently playing a lot were walk-ons.

Once again talked about how we need the Gopher football game on Saturdays to be a party and an event and we need the Syracuse atmosphere this weekend to help beat NW. Iowa drew a lot of strength from their fans and the players could feel that Iowa was feeding off that from the get go.

Overall a very enjoyable evening, if you get the chance to attend one I would recommend it.

NCAA is now investigating Jerry Kill's comment regarding paying for player's haircuts.

'Kill also shared on a side note that Conner Cosgrove is organizing a haircutting Cancer benefit and he and the players are trying to get Rallis to join in and cut his hair, Kill said he'd even pay for it drawing laughs.'

Triple D

Great Summary! It is nice to know that we have a back up to DL65. As coach Kill always says you can't have too much depth.

NCAA is now investigating Jerry Kill's comment regarding paying for player's haircuts.

'Kill also shared on a side note that Conner Cosgrove is organizing a haircutting Cancer benefit and he and the players are trying to get Rallis to join in and cut his hair, Kill said he'd even pay for it drawing laughs.'

I think you are joking, but just to clarify Kill was clearly joking around when he said this, hence the drawing laughs part.

EGADS, would that really be an NCAA violation? If a cancer survivor can't donate a little money for a benefit and a worthy cause to a kid who is battling leukemia and taking his time and making an effort to help raise money to battle the disease that would be one of the stupidest rules in NCAA history and needs to be changed. What kind of world do we live in.

Rallis desperately needs a haircut (and a shave). I've seen homeless vagrants with better grooming habits.

And no, I'm not against all guys with long hair. I'm against guys who wear long hair and look like dillholes doing so.

I know this is semantics, but Kill did not say he'd pay for Rallis's haircut. Paraphrasing, he said he'd pay to see that. That statement was in relation to donating money toward cancer research.

The next and Last? social is the Thursday evening before the LBJ game.

Top Bottom