Not that long ago...

sec105

Reaction score
We had a great offensive line and wonderful running backs (We were Halfback U...Maroney, Russell, Barber III). Now just a few short years later we have one of the worst OL' in the Big Ten and running backs that consistently go the wrong way off the blocking that is there. The OL couldn't protect Weber when he needed to pass nor could it open any holes for our running backs.

What happened? Is it coaching, recruiting or is it still Mason's fault?

Maybe this is why Tim Davis was expendable at Alabama and left their team before the season ended. Saban sure didn't seem to shed any tears when he left.

Their was only a 2 (maybe 3) year window where the Gophers could run on anyone. During that time period we also had an absolutely anemic passing game and one of the worst defenses in college football. Even when our running game could not be stopped, we still found ways to lose games. Then Barber left, Maroney left, and we no longer had a stud back. We had Amir Pinnix and recruited Duane Bennett. Mason's line recruits from his last few years were Dom Alford, Andy Brinkhaus, DJ Burris, Ryan Ruckdashel, Ned Tavale, Matt Stommes (DL and OL), and Jason Sekinger (never made it to school 6'10 project guy). These are the guys who should be in their 4th or 5th year in the program. Bunders from his last class is starting in his 3rd year on campus. The RB's? Jay Thomas, Terrence Sherrer, Brylee Callender, Duane Bennett, and Andre Tate.

I don't see Ben Hamilton, Marion Barber, Laurence Maroney in that bunch.

I have no doubt Glen Mason was a better running game coach than Tim Brewster, but we were not going to go back to the "glory days" of running on everyone and finishing 4-4 or 3-5 in the conference with the above players. We did finish 3-5 in the conference last year though, so the bottom line was similar...not good enough.

Cupito had some *MONSTER* passing games, please don't get it twisted.......

Maybe this is why Tim Davis was expendable at Alabama and left their team before the season ended. Saban sure didn't seem to shed any tears when he left.

Davis wasn't a coach at Alabama. He was the director of player personnel.

I do miss the offensive glory days. The defense not so much.

Top Bottom