Not So Fast On Calhoun

Duluthguy

Reaction score
Another thread states that Troy Calhoun is likely the guy, but I think we may be missing something. Calhoun's season ended last week and so far we haven't heard about the Gophs asking for permission to talk to him (news that usually gets out pretty fast from the other school). Could this mean (1) he's not interested or (2) we're not interested because we have bigger fish to fry. Seems like a guy we'd want to at least talk to if we're down to tier 2 guys. One other slight possibility is that we don't want any hard coaching news circulating and distracting the players from Iowa. Thoughts?

I assume you're referencing my thread. It's important to note that I don't think Calhoun is the guy based off my own information, but based off posts by gopherdudepart2 and Crazy Joe Davola. They make it seem like it's a done deal.

And, if that really is true, I can easily see a scenario where they haven't had an official interview/hire yet. If they want to give off the illusion that they tried their hardest to get a real A-list hire, this is way too early to announce someone. If they wait until after all of the regular season games have been played (Dec. 4, discounting the Army/Navy game), they have plausible deniability that they at least took a legitimate shot at Harbaugh, Golden, Sumlin, etc. If they hired someone right now, that just doesn't pass the sniff test.

Another thing to consider is that they may be waiting on the end of the season for an unexpected firing to give access to someone they like. This is not likely, but another important factor in plausible deniability.

I think the earliest we hear something is next week, once our season is done and most prospective coaches' regular seasons are done.

I would expect things to move fairly quickly after that unless we're waiting on a coach playing in a conference championship game the following weekend.

If Troy was their clear number one target, he would have been interviewed already. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense to interview anyone now and then have to wait for more interviews when the regular season is over. It would just make a mess of it by leaving someone hanging for a week or two.

just for the record

I assume you're referencing my thread. It's important to note that I don't think Calhoun is the guy based off my own information, but based off posts by gopherdudepart2 and Crazy Joe Davola. They make it seem like it's a done deal.

I never said Calhoun was the hire! But I have given five names that should be closely monitored.

I don't really understand how waiting would make them look better. If no tier 1 guy is interested, I see no advantage in waiting to try to make it look like you were trying harder. If we are down to tier 2 guys, why not start interviewing as soon as possible - in Calhoun's case, now. I would assume we would interview maybe 3 tier 2 guys, and we would want to get the interview process going as quickly as possible. You could still be trying to change some minds (like Harbaugh) while you interview.

I just don't see anyone making any decisions or delaying decisions because of how it might look. That should be their last concern.

Pure Guessing Just Like The Rest of The Posts

And, if that really is true, I can easily see a scenario where they haven't had an official interview/hire yet. If they want to give off the illusion that they tried their hardest to get a real A-list hire, this is way too early to announce someone. If they wait until after all of the regular season games have been played (Dec. 4, discounting the Army/Navy game), they have plausible deniability that they at least took a legitimate shot at Harbaugh, Golden, Sumlin, etc. If they hired someone right now, that just doesn't pass the sniff test.

Another thing to consider is that they may be waiting on the end of the season for an unexpected firing to give access to someone they like. This is not likely, but another important factor in plausible deniability.

Instead of spending all day posting your opinions and trivia on Gopherhole (like you usually do - see mass of recents posts) why don't you shut up unless you've got something that's really relevant.

Instead of spending all day posting your opinions and trivia on Gopherhole (like you usually do - see mass of recents posts) why don't you shut up unless you've got something that's really relevant.
You're no more than a poor man's Chief Jay Strongbow.

Not sure who you are referencing there, but if we all waited to post until we had "something that's really relevant," this board would not exist.

Edited in the interests of propriety.

You still suck so hard that you could take the chrome off a bumper.

I think Calhoun is a very real option.

I base a lot of my opinions on what Doogie says because he is the only Twin Cities media member who seems to be keeping a somewhat daily update going.

That leads me to believe he is the most credible. He has wrote at least one article on how Calhoun is a realistic possibility.

Now, most people will admit that Maturi and the search firm has done a great job keeping a lid on what is going on correct? Then we at this point can't really rule out anyone. Even though we hear Leach is a no go, we can't be certain.

I would say don't be so quick to write off Calhoun. Just because we have not contacted him doesn't mean we don't do it within the next 10 minutes.

You still butthurt about him saying you aren't funny? If so, lashing out like a petulant child about his every post is probably not the best response.

Great PR move - Hire one of the few coaches that actually lost to Brewster.... No thanks on Calhoun.

what a stupid statement

Great PR move - Hire one of the few coaches that actually lost to Brewster.... No thanks on Calhoun.

I would take Pat Fitzgerald, Mark Dantonio or Troy Calhoun, I do believe he also beat Kill @ NU.

I left out an obvious alternative. I've thought all along that we would probably narrow the list down to 1 Mr. Big or 3 tier 2 guys by the end of this week. If the listed hasn't been narrowed down yet, we obviously wouldn't be ready to interview Calhoun. Guess I just negated my own thread.

Sorry guys. I'm so hungry for news that I'm looking for anything I can find. Though, sometimes no news is actually news.

Why do people keep bringing up the Brewster loss? First off, if memory serves me right that was a pretty close game.

Second, service academies should lose to Big 10, Big 12, Big East, SEC, Pac-10 and ACC teams 9 out of 10 times. He beat Jerry Kill in 2008, a lot of people are big on him on these boards, would you pass on Pat Fitzgerald as a head coach because Brewster beat him in 2009?

Heck Mason KILLED Al Golden in 2005-06 66-0!

Why do people keep bringing up the Brewster loss? First off, if memory serves me right that was a pretty close game.

Heck Mason KILLED Al Golden in 2005-06 66-0!

I was at both games and we had our hands full with Air Force. If Nate Tripplet doesn't return that fumble for a touchdown AFA probably wins.

I live in Colorado Springs and no one is even mentioning Calhoun leaving. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm 99% positive that Troy Calhoun will not leave his alma mater of the Air Force Academy to come to Minnesota although I would love him to come.

I've actually talked to some people at the Academy and no one is hearing anything about Calhoun leaving or even having interviews.

I live in Colorado Springs and no one is even mentioning Calhoun leaving. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm 99% positive that Troy Calhoun will not leave his alma mater of the Air Force Academy to come to Minnesota although I would love him to come.

I've actually talked to some people at the Academy and no one is hearing anything about Calhoun leaving or even having interviews.

Thanks for the info, I was actually wondering to myself what some opinions were coming out of Colorado Springs.

According to some articles I have read (Out of the Denver Post I believe) The Air Force accepts the fact that Calhoun will leave one day. So it apparently has come up, but it does scare me that he stuck his nose up at the Tennessee job last year. Makes me wonder if he has any interest in Minnesota, but I still hold out hope that he is our guy!

While the Denver Post is a great paper, they mostly keep their coverage to the Denver/Boulder area and leave the Springs alone. The Colorado Springs Gazette is the major paper the covers the AFA and have pretty good insight to the program (although I'm not really a fan as I work for a rival paper).

No offense, but this is flawed logic at best and moronic logic at worst. First basing your opinion of a hire off of any one game they coached (unless it's the national championship they won) is beyond short-sighted. Second, to defend Brewster, the 2009 Gophers were not an awful team. As others have already pointed out, they also beat Mark Dantonio and Pat Fitzgerald. So I assume you'd be 100% against hiring them as well? Third, that was the opening game at TCF. If ever a team was going to ride a wave of emotion to victory, it was that night, and they still almost beat us. I'd like to think we could have taken out someone even tougher with that momentum behind us. I'm actually quite impressed that Air Force didn't get swept up in it and made is close as it was.

If you don't like Calhoun because of the concerns about recruiting to a non-service academy, etc. that's fine. But spare me the 'He lost to Brewster' as a valid reason.

Wow! Really Original and Informative!

Edited in the interests of propriety.

You still suck so hard that you could take the chrome off a bumper.

Never heard that bumper joke before (LOL).

What else yah got?

Going to work today or are you wasting your employers time (and money) posting on Gopherhole every couple of hours day after day after day?

Never heard that bumper joke before (LOL).

What else yah got?

Going to work today or are you wasting your employers time (and money) posting on Gopherhole every couple of hours day after day after day?

Translation:

baby-crying.jpg

Top Bottom