Northwestern's Clayton Thorson must grow up quickly in Big Ten play

Iceland12

Reaction score
You can do things in high school at quarterback that you can't do at this level," Fitzgerald said of Thorson. "There's probably one other guy on the other team who's at your level, who can play up to your level. So … (Thorson) will be fine. He has a lot of work to do, but he'll be fine."

Thorson turned the ball over three times (two interceptions and a fumble) in the first half of last Saturday's 24-19 victory over Ball State, but he rebounded in the second half to throw for three touchdowns.

"That was a pretty good snapshot of what he's capable of," Fitzgerald said.

Thorson knows the defensive intensity will pick up as the Big Ten season unfolds.

"In the first half (against Ball State) my attention to detail just wasn't there," Thorson said. "Taking care of the football … that's something we will always stress."

Offensive coordinator Mick McCall says the Gophers (3-1) are going to "lick their chops" when they face the first-year quarterback, but "I think he's up for the challenge."

Thorson became the first Northwestern quarterback to throw three or more touchdown passes in a game since Trevor Siemian threw four against Illinois on Nov. 30, 2013. But protecting the ball remains the priority.

"Sometimes in the first half he guessed a little bit," McCall said. "I think he would probably tell you that. And sometimes as a young quarterback you get that way. You think you see some things and you say: 'I'm going to take this.' He knows the progression he needs to go through. It's just a learning experience."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-spt-0930-20150929-story.html?reset_flag=true

Gophers did recruit and offer Thorson, who Rivals ranked as the 6th-best dual-threat QB prospects in the country his senior year. Great pedigree and I venture that if he were a Gopher, there would be a lot of folks clamoring for having him as our starter.

Gophers did recruit and offer Thorson, who Rivals ranked as the 6th-best dual-threat QB prospects in the country his senior year. Great pedigree and I venture that if he were a Gopher, there would be a lot of folks clamoring for having him as our starter.

The only things more certain than Gopher fans pining for the backup QB are death and taxes.

Does he throw a tight spiral?

You can do things in high school at quarterback that you can't do at this level," Fitzgerald said of Thorson. "There's probably one other guy on the other team who's at your level, who can play up to your level. So … (Thorson) will be fine. He has a lot of work to do, but he'll be fine."

Thorson turned the ball over three times (two interceptions and a fumble) in the first half of last Saturday's 24-19 victory over Ball State, but he rebounded in the second half to throw for three touchdowns.

"That was a pretty good snapshot of what he's capable of," Fitzgerald said.

Thorson knows the defensive intensity will pick up as the Big Ten season unfolds.

"In the first half (against Ball State) my attention to detail just wasn't there," Thorson said. "Taking care of the football … that's something we will always stress."

Offensive coordinator Mick McCall says the Gophers (3-1) are going to "lick their chops" when they face the first-year quarterback, but "I think he's up for the challenge."

Thorson became the first Northwestern quarterback to throw three or more touchdown passes in a game since Trevor Siemian threw four against Illinois on Nov. 30, 2013. But protecting the ball remains the priority.

"Sometimes in the first half he guessed a little bit," McCall said. "I think he would probably tell you that. And sometimes as a young quarterback you get that way. You think you see some things and you say: 'I'm going to take this.' He knows the progression he needs to go through. It's just a learning experience."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-spt-0930-20150929-story.html?reset_flag=true

Need to take away Thorsons ability to step up in the pocket and knock the ball out of his hands. I think this Gophers defense can do that but it is going to take the defensive line staying disciplined and everyone collapsing the pocket on him. He can make throws but if we can get to him and put some hits on the ball I think the Gophers have a chance to be + in the turnover department, different from the last couple games. Gophers should be used to the no huddle by now they have seen this no huddle style three times this season.
Obviously Northwestern is a good football team they beat Stanford at home and Duke on the road so there not a team lacking confidence. Gophers always seem to have those toe to toe match ups against the Cats where a couple plays or last series decides it. I'm expecting the Gophers to play well and physical football game against Northwestern, I think we all are excited to see them against another ranked team.

How would he react to Adam Weber teaching him to hit the ground 3 feet before the receiver?

Don't you see? The coaches brought Weber in to keep Mitch from throwing over a 6'10" TE. Add in the Weber ground toss in practice and BOOM, passes right in the numbers come game time. Success.

I think we have the advantage at QB on Saturday. Thorson hasn't been very good so far with the exception of some moments in the Ball State game. If we can contain Jackson and make Thorson beat us through the air I like our chances, even with our depleted secondary.

I agree Jaymil. I hope someone besides Keith and Richardson will step up with some QB pressure.

I agree Jaymil. I hope someone besides Keith and Richardson will step up with some QB pressure.

Agree. The D Line needs to step up huge this game. They're the healthiest unit on the team. With the injuries to DB's, we're gonna be thin back there, and likely need lots of LB support in coverage. We need to get at least a moderate rush without needing to blitz too much.

Top Bottom