Northwestern Attendance

gophers141

Reaction score
I know it is still weeks away but will we be close to a sell out again for the Northwestern game?

Hopefully they move it to 2:30 kickoff if we are both undefeated.

I think it depends on how Iowa goes. If the Gophers win, Northwestern will be sold out undoubtedly. If not, it's a toss-up. Northwestern, if undefeated, will be ranked (they'll be 6-0 coming in) so that will help drive interest. But the next week is certainly a big one as far as the NU attendance is concerned.

Where will college game day be in two weeks? It sounds like later on in the season there are a few big matchups i.e. Alabama/LSU and USC/Oregon, so even if the Gophers are undefeated later, they wouldn't get Gameday on campus. I found South Carolina/LSU, Texas/Oklahoma, and TCU/Baylor for 2 ranked teams playing each other week 7. IF the Gophers and Wildcats are both undefeated and ranked, any chance we get thrown a bone that weekend? Don't they get tired of going to LSU, OK, etc? I know the chances of this happening are slim to none and slim is at the airport ready to leave town. Can Teague get involved and lobby for something like this? This sounds like something that's right up his alley.

EDIT: I missed Stanford at Notre Dame that weekend too. My guess if those teams are still undefeated at that point, game day will go there. The storyline would be something about the return of Notre Dame, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

If its at Notre dame, it will be on NBC.

And no, we won't get gameday any time soon. We are neither sufficiently good nor interesting enough yet for that.

I know it is still weeks away but will we be close to a sell out again for the Northwestern game?

Only if we both make it and I will be there God willing.

It's homecoming and they plan activities around the game long in advance, so there isn't much chance that they'd change the time.

And there is no chance whatsoever that we'll get GameDay.

EDIT: I missed Stanford at Notre Dame that weekend too. My guess if those teams are still undefeated at that point, game day will go there. The storyline would be something about the return of Notre Dame, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

This.

As long as neither gets upset, they will be in South Bend in two weeks.

The NW game could be for control of the division and a 1 1/2 game lead with the tiebreaker.

While insanely unlikely, we could be the only two undefeated teams in conference play in the Legends heading into that game:

Northwestern 2-0 (W over ILL and PSU)
Minnesota 1-0 (W over IA)
Iowa 0-1 (L to MN)
Michigan 0-1 (L to PUR)
Michigan State 0-2 (L to OSU and IND)
Nebraska 0-2 (L to WI and OSU)

Lots of cross-divisional matchups in the first few weeks.

Nine us of are going

I just bought nine tickets for my buddies for the game against Northwestern. We're doing our part!

Offering discounted tickets for the Northwestern game right after the Syracuse win, as they did Saturday night, should help.

If its at Notre dame, it will be on NBC.

And no, we won't get gameday any time soon. We are neither sufficiently good nor interesting enough yet for that.

Says you. How about those of us that think that we might have something special happening, and not yank it out of our optimism.

It is quite possible Northwestern will be 6-0 and the Gophers 5-0 heading into their October 13th game. When was the last time that happened? That would be incredible.

I just bought nine tickets for my buddies for the game against Northwestern. We're doing our part!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

We need more fans like you....bring 'em on, bring 'em in...bring 'em loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

We need more fans like you....bring 'em on, bring 'em in...bring 'em loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Says you. How about those of us that think that we might have something special happening, and not yank it out of our optimism.

The only way Gameday would come to the U is if all 3 of the following:

1. Both teams are undefeated
2. The Big Ten announces a new conference logo and spelling that looks remarkably similar to SEC
3. Minnesota and Northwestern are now spelled in a fashion that looks an awful lot like Alabama and LSU (in no particular order)

As great as it would be one day, ESPN is incredibly biased towards anything that will draw viewers. The fact that they will be in East Lansing this week is amazing given the state of the B1G.

I could see the BTN scrambling to put on their own version of Gameday in the plaza of TCF if both teams were to still undefeated. It would be the most interesting B1G headline at that point.

I will be there if they move it to 2:30. I will not if it's 11:00. I thought we were getting rid of this 11:00 crap.

To 2nd Gopherdrummer, I hate to break it to the dreamers here, but GameDay will be at Michigan St this week for MSU vs OSU. So there's pretty much no chance they'd bring it to a B1G conference that is down, down, down this year just 2 weeks after going to the same conference to see 2 teams that don't have national followings or interest.

For 2012, if somehow, beyond all hope the Gophers go undefeated and Mich St wins every other of its games, GameDay might consider going to TCF to see a 11-0 Top 5 ranked Gophers team take on a Top 10 MSU squad. So if you think that's going to happen, well then you sir are truly an optimist.

The more realistic chance for the Gophers to ever host a GameDay would be if the do really well (go to the B1G title game in some year) and then the following year be somewhat favored for a Legends title and then be ranked and undefeated for a matchup against a highly ranked Michigan or OSU team (or perhaps Nebraska or Wisconsin to a lesser extent). So we've got our work cut out for us, and it'll take a while.

Why are people worrying about College Gameday? I've seen numerous threads where this is mentioned. Both we and our opponent would likely have to be in the top 15 for that to happen, and I don't think beating Iowa gets us there. We're still at the baby steps phase.

Come on now...Gameday.....really. Even at 5-0 against a 6-0 Northwestern there is not a chance in you know where that Gameday is at TCF bank for that one. I would love to see it as much as anyone but let's not drown in the kool-aid just yet. This is going to be a dog fight this weekend to get by Iowa.

The sad part is that a loss combined with the long layoff would all but kill any excitement and momentum fan wise for the Northwestern game. We have seen that script play out way too many times with our casual fan base. On the flip side of course, a win combined with the bye week would work great to build hype on campus if they promote it right.

Notre Dame at Michigan State didn't get Gameday. And that was when everyone still loved MSU in the national press and when it was a night game. The Gophers are not in the same stratosphere as MSU on the national level. I get that folks want a hot start to be "validated" in the eyes of the national press, but ultimately pining for that sort of recognition is futile (and frankly, still undeserved) at this stage.

I never said I thought Gameday would happen, just dreamin'. I looked at the history of Gameday, and a few times a year they have gone to lower ranked school's games. They even did Army/Air Force one year. I guess that's more what I meant by "being thrown a bone" in a previous post. Obviously wouldn't be the biggest matchup of the weekend, but that isn't always where they go either. I'm sure there was some sort of underlying story for the Army/Air Force game (veteran's day maybe), but they even did unranked SMU vs #10 Houston just last year...

Now, I don't want any negative responses to my tiny (and by tiny, I mean one in a million; cue Lloyd Christmas) bit of hope that I have of seeing a Gameday on campus at the U. I already have been told that it will never happen by those who know best.

I wonder if my wife comes on here just to tell me I'm wrong...

Now, I don't want any negative responses to my tiny (and by tiny, I mean one in a million; cue Lloyd Christmas) bit of hope that I have of seeing a Gameday on campus at the U. I already have been told that it will never happen by those who know best.

Some may say it will never happen. I'm not one of them. But it will not happen for Northwestern. Every situation you've listed thus far trumps MN/NU of this year. Army/Air Force happened twice. The first was after 9/11, the second was in 2009 the weekend before Veterans Day. Plus service academies are in their own category with a guaranteed level of cache and respect because they are the service academies. Houston's GD appearance came on the last weekend of their season when they were nationally ranked, undefeated, and poised to set program records for wins, etc. It was a feel good story in addition to the fact that it highlighted a good team.

Minnesota and Northwestern is just not going to move the needle in a way ESPN cares about. Pointing that out isn't trashing the idea that GameDay could come to MN at some point. It's simply recognizing the realities of where the program is right now. We're coming off back to back 3-9 seasons. The team MN would beat to remain undefeated just lost to Central Michigan. The last time the Gophers started hot (2008) they lost 5 in a row to end the year. This is what the ESPN folks are looking at. Plus the B1G is way way down. You can be full of hope about this year and still keep perspective.

Top Bottom