Norman Lear, producer of TV's 'All in the Family' and influential liberal advocate, has died at 101

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score

LOS ANGELES — Norman Lear, the writer, director and producer who revolutionized prime time television with "All in the Family," “The Jeffersons” and “Maude,” propelling political and social turmoil into the once-insulated world of TV sitcoms, has died. He was 101.

Also a decorated war hero as he was a navigator/gunner in a B-17 and flew 52 combat missions.

What a life he lived.

I don't think that you could get a show like "All in the Family" on Network TV today. It would have to go on streaming or HBO. the 70's were just a different era in movies and TV. producers were willing to take a lot more chances and try different directions. then in the 80's, things swung back in a more conservative or 'traditional' direction.

FWIW - Lear also developed "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman" - one of the wackiest shows ever put on TV (although it was on syndication, not network TV). that was some prime stoner viewing.

FWIW - Lear also developed "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman" - one of the wackiest shows ever put on TV (although it was on syndication, not network TV). that was some prime stoner viewing.
I was young, but I'm pretty sure I got a contact high just from watching it.

Such a trail blazer in terms of comedies.

On March 25, 1992 I was on vacation in LA and a friend scored an extra ticket to the Tonight Show. It was one of the last episodes for Jay Leno as a Guest Host before taking over full time for Carson.

Guests were Willem Dafoe, Tim Daly, Norman Lear and the band Poi Dog Pondering. That's a really full line-up by today's talk show standards. I don't think there was a sketch or bit after the opening monologue. Leno did a quick warm-up for the crowd and did a little Q&A before the cameras rolled.

Lear wore his trademark hat and was about to hit the age of 70.

I don't recall much about the show itself. I do remember it was rather chilly in the studio, it was taped later in the afternoon and Poi Dog Pondering played 2 songs, but only 1 aired.

Last edited:

Top Bottom