None of the freshmen WR's will be RS.

Reaction score
We didn't feel like sitting in the rain, so we didn't make it down yesterday. From reports generated on GI and the hole my guess is Harbison, MacDonald, etc. will be asked to contribute right away. If we can't create separtion at the WR spot, Gray is going to be on a island out there. I realize Jones didn't play, but from all accounts yesterday Green was our best WR. For me that is a great concern as he is not the most durable of group that is out there.

A long ways to go between now and the first game Rup.

Green should be the best one out there. He has the most experience. If Green is struggling then that's bad. Durability aside (and his previous injuries don't automatically mean future ones) the team really needs him to step up.

We didn't feel like sitting in the rain, so we didn't make it down yesterday. From reports generated on GI and the hole my guess is Harbison, MacDonald, etc. will be asked to contribute right away. If we can't create separtion at the WR spot, Gray is going to be on a island out there. I realize Jones didn't play, but from all accounts yesterday Green was our best WR. For me that is a great concern as he is not the most durable of group that is out there.

That's the way I see it too. Nothing to wait for.

Might be a little early after a spring scrimage in the rain to come to that conclusion. It would be nice to hear more from some of our young receivers,like Fruechte though.

I was there and I thought Moulton was solid as was Green. Crawford-Tufts was not targeted much and one pass his way was way off the mark. Engel and Barker are decent but not spectacular. The DBs really blanketed the WRs from my perspective which is good but the job at WR is there for the taking.

IMHO, wide receiver is the weakest position on the team by far. McDonald, Harbison, and Maye should all get time this fall. When you have a group where no one had more than 18 catches last year, there are going to be some growing pains. Past experience has taught us all that if you are looking for someone who has never played at the B1G level to emerge immediately, people will be disappointed. That's why I think the guys that will need to come through this year are Green, Jones, and Moulton. I also think the weakness at WR was magnified by the fact that our secondary has improved a lot.

McDonald and Harbison will get every chance to play. Maye will get a look at running back first and if things are copacetic there he will be given a chance to make an impact at receiver.

Jones didn't play, you have to count him in. Engel will get plenty of reps, as will Cesario, Fruechte, and Wilson. Let's see how real football practice goes in the fall...

We really didn't get a chance to see much yesterday. Moulton has been a bit of a disappointment--he dropped a few last year and dropped at least 1 easy pass during the spring game. IMO the receiving corps could turn out to be a huge strength this year. Kill has said that Jones can run a 4.4, and Fruechte is supposedly the fastest offensive player--4.38--and Engel is advertised as a 4.4 type. I watched Engel closely yesterday and he has a smooth, sneaky fast acceleration--he got yards behind several players but never had a long ball thrown his way. Until we actually see these guys consistently in a game situation it will hard to judge what they're capable of. Fruechte and Engel are fairly tall--6-3 and 6-2 respectively, and a receiver that we rarely hear anything about is Cameron Wilson--6-3. You can see potential on paper without considering the much hyped freshman that will be arriving this summer. Alot of potential at this position.

I've run this into the ground, but I'd like to thank Tim Brewster one more time for his idiotic use of DaJon McKnight during his freshman season.

Finally got to watch the BTN video of the Spring Game. I know the conditions weren't ideal and you shouldn't put too much stock into one outing but WOW. I'm much more concerned about the WR position than I was before. Lots of plays that weren't made that should have been. Dropped balls, stopping routes short, not looking for the ball, et al. I thought the QB's, particularly Gray and Shortell, really did a good job of putting the ball in the right places.

That being said, with the stable of WR's the Gophers have, it doesn't take much for just a few to step up and make a difference. Hopefully one or more of the newcomers this summer make a difference as well.

Remember also that Gray was not working with the first team receivers (other than Green). Timing takes a long time to build. I am interested to see what the newcomers can do, however. The talent will be there, and now they need to make plays.

I think the play of the DB's had something to do with the performance of the receivers. That, to me, is very encouraging. In addition the offense on Saturday was extreamly vanilla. Let's wait until Fall to pass judgement.

I thin the DBs are far enough ahead of the receivers that just going against them during the summer will lead to big improvement for the receivers. Not necessarily good for the DBs though.

I thin the DBs are far enough ahead of the receivers that just going against them during the summer will lead to big improvement for the receivers. Not necessarily good for the DBs though.

This summer's drills will likely be good for both the DB's and receivers.

I think the play of the DB's had something to do with the performance of the receivers. That, to me, is very encouraging. In addition the offense on Saturday was extreamly vanilla. Let's wait until Fall to pass judgement.

Waiting and patience are not in our playbook.

This summer's drills will likely be good for both the DB's and receivers.
What I meant is going against our receivers won't be as helpful for the DBs as it will be for the receivers. You don't improve as much going against players that aren't better than you.

We've known since signing day that they would need to play. Green and DCT are the only split wide guys we have that have shown anything and Jones and Moulton are the only 2 in the slot. McDonald at least needs to show up ready to go split wide

Top Bottom