#4 Clemson
#6 Alabama
#13 Kansas State
#16 Illinois
#18 Oklahoma State
#20 Syracuse
#21 Wake Forest
#23 Oregon State

They will still have Bama in the top 10 and in the conversation and back up to about 5 or 6 when they beat Kiffin and Ole Miss. Meanwhile other deserving teams won’t get a sniff (Tennessee will probably be about same as Bama ends up) I mean Bama is good, don’t get me wrong but they are there every year. Time to get some new blood.

I think TN is still gonna be ranked top 4 despite getting thumped though I don't think they deserve it. Ohio State would not get the same benefit of the doubt if they lose to Michigan.

Playoff looks like OSU/Mich, Georgia, TN, TCU/Oregon/USC.

Though LSU winning the SEC championship could shake that up.

How many two or fewer loss teams in P5?
9-0 TCU
9-0 Ohio State
9-0 Michigan
9-0 Georgia
8-1 Tennessee
8-1 ole miss
8-1 Clemson
8-1 North Carolina
8-1 Oregon
8-1 USC
8-1 UCLA
7-2 Utah
7-2 LSU
7-2 Alabama
7-2 Washington
7-2 NC State
7-2 Penn state
7-2 illinois
That’s 18

How many 0 or 1 loss G5/independents?
8-1 Tulane
8-1 liberty
8-1 coastal Carolina
That’s 3

21 total:

This means 4 teams with 3 losses from P5 or teams with 2 losses from G5 will be ranked.
Contenders:
Troy
Kentucky
South Carolina
Mississippi state
Oregon state
San Jose State
Notre Dame
Texas San Antonio
Minnesota
Maryland
Baylor
Kansas state
Texas
Kansas
Oklahoma state
Duke
Syracuse
Florida state
Louisville
Wake forest
Cincinnati
UCF

What I’m telling you is, talk to your kids about ranked 7-3 Minnesota (if they beat northwestern)

9-0 TCU
9-0 Ohio State
9-0 Michigan
9-0 Georgia
8-1 Tennessee
8-1 ole miss
8-1 Clemson
8-1 North Carolina
8-1 Oregon
8-1 USC
8-1 UCLA
7-2 Utah
7-2 LSU
7-2 Alabama
7-2 Washington
7-2 NC State
7-2 Penn state
7-2 illinois
That’s 18

8-1 Tulane
8-1 liberty
8-1 coastal Carolina
That’s 3

21 total:

This means 4 teams with 3 losses from P5 or teams with 2 losses from G5 will be ranked.
Contenders:
Troy
Kentucky
South Carolina
Mississippi state
Oregon state
San Jose State
Notre Dame
Texas San Antonio
Minnesota
Maryland
Baylor
Kansas state
Texas
Kansas
Oklahoma state
Duke
Syracuse
Florida state
Louisville
Wake forest
Cincinnati
UCF

What I’m telling you is, talk to your kids about ranked 7-3 Minnesota (if they beat northwestern)

Yes, that's what I was getting at with the original post.

I don't think beating Northwestern alone gets us there, though. We need to win out.

Bama is good, don’t get me wrong but they are there every year. Time to get some new blood.
Bama’s only path to the CFP playoff at this point is if they back their way into the SEC Championship (LSU loses loses both of its remaining 2 conference games), and beat Georgia. Either one of those two things happening is very unlikely.

It was a crazy day across the entire college football landscape, not just in the top 25. Even some of the top 25 teams that didn't lose were tested way more than they should have been. Michigan was down to Rutgers for a while, and Northwestern took advantage of the horrible wind conditions to give OSU a bit of a scare.

Combine all that with how our game played out and Iowa suddenly figuring out how to play offense.

To me though, the biggest shocker of the day is still MSU doing what they did to Illinois. No way they should have been able to pull that off given who they lost to suspension on defense.

Bama’s only path to the CFP playoff at this point is if they back their way into the SEC Championship (LSU loses loses both of its remaining 2 conference games), and beat Georgia. Either one of those two things happening is very unlikely.

My personal opinion: it will be good for college football if Alabama does not make the playoff. It would be good to see Tennessee in it for a change.

It was a crazy day across the entire college football landscape, not just in the top 25. Even some of the top 25 teams that didn't lose were tested way more than they should have been. Michigan was down to Rutgers for a while, and Northwestern took advantage of the horrible wind conditions to give OSU a bit of a scare.

Combine all that with how our game played out and Iowa suddenly figuring out how to play offense.

To me though, the biggest shocker of the day is still MSU doing what they did to Illinois. No way they should have been able to pull that off given who they lost to suspension on defense.

I was both shocked and really impressed by how Michigan State played against Illinois. Tucker had them ready, there's no doubt about that.

And, yeah; Iowa suddenly looks pretty tough.

9-0 TCU
9-0 Ohio State
9-0 Michigan
9-0 Georgia
8-1 Tennessee
8-1 ole miss
8-1 Clemson
8-1 North Carolina
8-1 Oregon
8-1 USC
8-1 UCLA
7-2 Utah
7-2 LSU
7-2 Alabama
7-2 Washington
7-2 NC State
7-2 Penn state
7-2 illinois
That’s 18

8-1 Tulane
8-1 liberty
8-1 coastal Carolina
That’s 3

21 total:

Contenders:
Troy
Kentucky
South Carolina
Mississippi state
Oregon state
San Jose State
Notre Dame
Texas San Antonio
Minnesota
Maryland
Baylor
Kansas state
Texas
Kansas
Oklahoma state
Duke
Syracuse
Florida state
Louisville
Wake forest
Cincinnati
UCF

We know for sure there can be only 3 undefeated teams at the end of the season. There will likely be a lot of 1-loss teams to pick from for that last playoff spot.

Yes, that's what I was getting at with the original post.

I don't think beating Northwestern alone gets us there, though. We need to win out.
I’m not sure it takes that long.
Of the 43 teams I listed, there are guaranteed 9 Ls next weekend because 9 games involve two teams on the list.

We know for sure there can be only 3 undefeated teams at the end of the season. There will likely be a lot of 1-loss teams to pick from for that last playoff spot.
If there are 3 unbeatens:
Big ten
Georgia
TCU

The following teams mathematically could be 1 loss teams:
Ole miss
Ohio state vs Michigan loser
Tennessee
UNC vs Clemson winner (ACC championship)
Pac 12 champ

It’s actually a lot cleaner for there to be 3 unbeatens than if Georgia or TCU or the big ten champ had a loss. The committee probably loves that.

I’m not sure it takes that long.
Of the 43 teams I listed, there are guaranteed 9 Ls next weekend because 9 games involve two teams on the list.

Maybe I have a persecution complex, but I think Minnesota (with 3 losses) gets less consideration than most 3-loss teams, and there may even be one or two 4-loss teams that are rated higher.

We aren't viewed in the same way as certain other programs. We are seen as perennial doormats.

Maybe I have a persecution complex, but I think Minnesota with 3-losses gets less consideration than most 3-loss teams, and even one or two 4-loss teams.

We aren't viewed in the same way as certain other programs.
I agree with that but that the same time of the 42 teams on the list a bunch of them probably feel the same way about Minnesota.

Texas
Notre dame
Ok state
Anyone in the SEC will get the benefit of the doubt over us.
But we get the benefit of the doubt over people who aren’t those teams.

Top Bottom