NIL Question

The SF Rock

Banned
Reaction score
Can players receive multiple NILs from different sponsors? Or do they have to be consolidated into one? Asking from a business perspective.

Can players receive multiple NILs from different sponsors? Or do they have to be consolidated into one? Asking from a business perspective.

Multiple is allowed. But if Nike offers you $1 mil per year I’m sure the contract stipulates you can’t be doing ads for Adidas—for instance.

I was wondering about the NIL mechanics as well. For example, if Dennis Evans received an offer of 800k from Louisville as some have reported, is that all up-front money or is it prorated over 4 years? And if the offer requires a 4 year commitment by the athlete is that spread evenly over the 4 years or can the offerer front-end load the offer (say 100,100,200,400) to protect themselves from the athlete transferring again. This process is very confusing to me.

I was wondering about the NIL mechanics as well. For example, if Dennis Evans received an offer of 800k from Louisville as some have reported, is that all up-front money or is it prorated over 4 years? And if the offer requires a 4 year commitment by the athlete is that spread evenly over the 4 years or can the offerer front-end load the offer (say 100,100,200,400) to protect themselves from the athlete transferring again. This process is very confusing to me.
By literal reading of the rule it cannot be pay for play or to a particular school. Thus, it its implied it cannot be structured literally like you wrote.

However, it could be done creatively. Also, sinxe enforcement is lacking it probably is done like you wrote. I would imagine most contracts will never be read by anyone that matters in the penalty portion. Thus, probably many il intentioned deals will be completed.

The whole thing is very confusing and clearly being abused to the point of hiding clear pay for play deals under the guise of NIL.

But one important distinction is that the money is not coming from the school directly. It is coming from a third party and is supposedly not being given to get a player to attend a certain school. I mean we all know what is really happening but Louisville is not the one paying Evans.

By literal reading of the rule it cannot be pay for play or to a particular school. Thus, it its implied it cannot be structured literally like you wrote.

However, it could be done creatively. Also, sinxe enforcement is lacking it probably is done like you wrote. I would imagine most contracts will never be read by anyone that matters in the penalty portion. Thus, probably many il intentioned deals will be completed.
That's the nature of NCAA infractions.

Something is only investigated if it is reported. They aren't proactive.

I believe some of the top Women's players like Caitlin Clarke or Paige Bueckers have deals with multiple companies. so yes, there can be multiple sponsors.

in theory, each NIL deal is a separate agreement between an athlete and a sponsor. Just like pro athletes who do commercials for different companies.

Top Bottom