NIL pays for tuition for all 36 walkons at BYU

You hit it on the nail. "Screw the 85 limit." The big money schools clearly are going to take advantage of this one.
Not sure BYU would be one to get lumped in with the "Big Money" crowd. But it will be interesting to see how the NCAA handles a team essentially getting 30+ scholarships over the limit. If they don't do anything about it I would expect lots of teams to find a way to duplicate what BYU is doing.

Wow. Sounds like unlimited scholies moving forward. Whoever it was that said in a previous post their ESPN friend said it’s over in 2-3 years and a different thing will form is right. I would suggest there has to be a cap on NIL like they do with all the other sports so you could have some degree of parity.

It's not really big money. BYU tuition is cheap. Something like $3000/semester for LDS members, and $4500 for non LDS members. The church so heavily subsidizes the school that keeps costs low.

Compare that to $60-70,000 a year at say, Stanford.

They even offered "endorsement" deals to all 132 members of the football team ($1,000 each) from built brand protein bars.

Boosters will be crawling out of the woodwork to cough up the money all across the country.

For schools with passionate, monied boosters, the new scholarship "limit" will be the size of the roster. Nebraska might go back to the days of 50 walk-ons. Who knows? And a lot of schools will begin to approach, but never quite catch, Alabama in regard to the number of expensive cars being driven by football players. Amateur football had a great run ...

Not sure BYU would be one to get lumped in with the "Big Money" crowd. But it will be interesting to see how the NCAA handles a team essentially getting 30+ scholarships over the limit. If they don't do anything about it I would expect lots of teams to find a way to duplicate what BYU is doing.

I don't think GopherOhana was implying that BYU was the "Big Money" crowd. Think he was suggesting that the top dogs in college football are going to be duplicating this.

Personally....if this does pull scholarship quality power five kids away to be walk on (but tuition paid for) players....it will be for a limited amount of time. Either the NCAA will step in and create new rules....or kids will wise up and realize that the glut of talent on these teams are causing starting quality power five kids to never see the field. Only so many guys can play at once. If teams like Alabama start piling up high three and four star talent as "walk ons" behind the scholarship four and five star players.....a lot of kids are going to see their NCAA football careers and talent wasted.

I don't think GopherOhana was implying that BYU was the "Big Money" crowd. Think he was suggesting that the top dogs in college football are going to be duplicating this.

Personally....if this does pull scholarship quality power five kids away to be walk on (but tuition paid for) players....it will be for a limited amount of time. Either the NCAA will step in and create new rules....or kids will wise up and realize that the glut of talent on these teams are causing starting quality power five kids to never see the field. Only so many guys can play at once. If teams like Alabama start piling up high three and four star talent as "walk ons" behind the scholarship four and five star players.....a lot of kids are going to see their NCAA football careers and talent wasted.
I would fully expect the NCAA to try and do something to eliminate teams essentially giving scholarships to walk on players through the use of NIL money. That is certainly not what this NIL thing was supposed to be about, but I am not surprised one bit to see it heading this way.

In the end it will come down to how much the dollars really end up being. Guys aren't going to give up the chance to play just to make a little bit of money in college. Ultimately, most Power 5 level athletes believe they have a shot at the NFL (whether they really do or not), and you aren't going to get noticed by the NFL by being buried on the depth chart at a place like Alabama.

When it is all said and done, many of us want to just make it about money, but that isn't going to be the driving force for a lot of players because they NIL money they would make in college is unlikely to be anything life changing for the vast majority of players. Only a small fraction will see the massive deals that will get all the attention. The rank and file players aren't going to be offered enough to totally abandon their dreams in order to ride the bench somewhere for a couple grand.

I would fully expect the NCAA to try and do something to eliminate teams essentially giving scholarships to walk on players through the use of NIL money. That is certainly not what this NIL thing was supposed to be about, but I am not surprised one bit to see it heading this way.

In the end it will come down to how much the dollars really end up being. Guys aren't going to give up the chance to play just to make a little bit of money in college. Ultimately, most Power 5 level athletes believe they have a shot at the NFL (whether they really do or not), and you aren't going to get noticed by the NFL by being buried on the depth chart at a place like Alabama.

When it is all said and done, many of us want to just make it about money, but that isn't going to be the driving force for a lot of players because they NIL money they would make in college is unlikely to be anything life changing for the vast majority of players. Only a small fraction will see the massive deals that will get all the attention. The rank and file players aren't going to be offered enough to totally abandon their dreams in order to ride the bench somewhere for a couple grand.

100% agree with all of this. There will be a transition period where the helmets will try and take advantage.....but I think after the dust settles.....high school athletes will (mostly) get sound advice from their coaches and understand that chasing a little bit of money is not in their best interests.

Wow. Sounds like unlimited scholies moving forward. Whoever it was that said in a previous post their ESPN friend said it’s over in 2-3 years and a different thing will form is right. I would suggest there has to be a cap on NIL like they do with all the other sports so you could have some degree of parity.
Sounds good in theory, but from what I gather the SCOTUS would still label that are restraint of trade or whatever the term is.

I think the only recourse the NCAA would have would be to have a limit on roster size in total, at 85 or whatever number.

This is a pretty bad precedent and may not hold up to a legal challenge unless there is zero stipulation in the NIL regulations about giving blanket endorsement $ to every player regardless of their realistic marketability value. How could you say a 3rd string walk-on with no name recognition warrants $10K a year for a protein bar ad?

This is a pretty bad precedent and may not hold up to a legal challenge unless there is zero stipulation in the NIL regulations about giving blanket endorsement $ to every player regardless of their realistic marketability value. How could you say a 3rd string walk-on with no name recognition warrants $10K a year for a protein bar ad?
Also, like, you're not explicitly saying "we'll give you money to come to BYU" but if every player is eligible for this deal regardless, the outcome is the same.

Just give them 85 kids maximum, that are receiving any athletic scholarship and/or any amount of NIL money. Full stop.

That is entirely within the purview of the NCAA to propose, and the autonomy group to vote on.

Correct.
With the transfer rules they will just transfer to teams like The U. Can only play 11 players at once.

This is a gamechanger. The scholarship limits are now only theoretical. I just hope the Gophs can leverage this with their location in a large metro with a strong economy.

How could you say a 3rd string walk-on with no name recognition warrants $10K a year for a protein bar ad?
It's a fair question, but so is this: "Who is to say that he does not?" I share the concern that this is going to totally upset the applecart and change college football in all sorts of ways, both obvious and unanticipated, and that much of that will be bad for the sport as a whole. But the truth is that my question is the one the Supreme Court seems willing to ask . . . and answer.

Last edited:

This is a gamechanger. The scholarship limits are now only theoretical. I just hope the Gophs can leverage this with their location in a large metro with a strong economy.
I have little to no doubt that everyone is working on ways to do the same thing for their walkons. I also have little doubt that the NCAA is going to try and figure out a way to stop this from happening as it totally blows away the scholarship limit rules if it allowed to happen.

I don't think it's hard. You simply limit roster sizes.

The reason for scholarship limits was to prevent schools from stockpiling more talent than they could use, just to keep it from other schools.

If scholarships are no longer the only way to pay a player to go to a certain school, then you have to resort to hard caps on rosters.

Top Bottom