NIL at Warp Speed

TrapperDoo

Reaction score
Is anyone else surprized at the speed with which NIL has gotten out of hand? D1 football is ruined forever. There’s no going back. If Im going to watch paid football players I guess I’ll take the NFL. Money truly is the root of all evil.

Is anyone else surprized at the speed with which NIL has gotten out of hand? D1 football is ruined forever. There’s no going back. If Im going to watch paid football players I guess I’ll take the NFL. Money truly is the root of all evil.

It will come back down to a more median point eventually. I don't think there is any chance they don't eventually get some regulation around it - especially in regards to how it's being used for recruiting by some programs.

CFP, unlimited transfers, conference expansion, de-emphasis of bowl games, etc. have been happening for years, and people think players being able to profit off of their talents is what ruins the game?

I dont blame the players. I blame the adults around them. B10 Network -“hey we can make money off of this.” Players are going to want a taste - and no wonder.

To your first question, nope...not in the slightest. There was zero doubt in my mind that "NIL" would get bastardized in football and basketball.

the NCAA is becoming a joke.

If you want NIL to be reigned in, it will have to be from National legislation. good luck with that, considering how dysfunctional Congress is right now.

But - I am not sure that NIL is really that much worse than what was going on before under the table.

If you think that some of these schools - or boosters - have never made any kind of financial inducement to a recruit until now, then you are more of an idealist than I am.

the different with NIL is that it is now out in the open.

maybe in the long run, that is better than the old system of pretending nothing was going on behind the curtain. at least now, we can see who is manipulating the levers.

Imagine a school like Minnesota. Every time we unearth a Eric Murray, Greg Esslinger, etc. we'll need to pony up every year to keep them from going elsewhere. It will be somewhat like the NFL but with no salary cap and only 1 year "contracts" allowed.

I'm curious if D3 and Pioneer League can use NIL? Could local wealthy boosters start paying low D1 and D2 quality players to play "non-scholarship" football?

I'm curious if D3 and Pioneer League can use NIL? Could local wealthy boosters start paying low D1 and D2 quality players to play "non-scholarship" football?
Going to go out on a limb and say D3 and Pioneer programs probably aren't rolling with the kind of boosters that would be willing to toss money away like they are at places like Miami and Texas A&M.

I just wish we would stop calling these monster deal NIL deals because everyone knows what they really are and it has nothing to do with NIL. NIL as intended is a great thing and is almost certainly being used the way it was intended in the olympic sports.

The bastardized version of "NIL" that everyone is so obsessed with is nothing close to what it was intended to be. But as I have said numerous times it was 1000% predictable that it was going to be used the way it is being used.

The sad part is the legit NIL deals in football and basketball are getting overshadowed by the stupid ones where some rich booster is just tossing bags of cash at recruits and calling it NIL money.

The only way to save revenue-generating college athletics is to stoke the old IRS investigations that were happening a decade ago (and create new rules that are based on disclosing income taxes paid to a regulating authority).

Back then there were going to be a lot of high-profile programs that were on the path to being shutdown, but the IRS was obviously told to stand down by higher-powers and it mysteriously went nowhere.

Donors funneling money to bagmen were terrified that the IRS was going to subpoena peole, which would have led to some helmet schools’ biggest and most notable donors actually facing prison time. And their programs likely facing suspension (the old SMU death penalty).

NIL was the solution these powerful donors promoted to their state politicians to absolve themselves of their past crimes and pave the way for legitimate cheating in the future.

It is a genius tool for cheating, because the NCAA has no power to compel anyone to cooperate with their investigation, and now the IRS has been taken out of the game completely.

This is what's going to happen.

1. Big Ten finishes their expansion and their TV contract.

2. The issue a portion of that annual revenue to payer play.

3. Players are then employees on contracts so they lose option to transfer, and contract will stipulate all NIL $$ must be reported (and possibly shared (or not)). This will be a portion of the term of the contract.

4. The Big Ten with 20-30 teams paying $10-20 million a year in player salaries will take a large portion of the talent. Boosters fighting to buy with NIL won't have the influence of these first couple of years because the money is just as good as a legal player, still with NIL upside.

5. There will be some QB's who could still make more passing on a Big Ten contract, to play just for NIL money, but those teams will suck compared to the teams paying all players.

Coaches want control Universities want control. Pandora's box is open, and so now it's time to hire them and make them employees.

They can. You could have the local car dealership pay kids for autographs if you’d like.

Yes - all of these things will come to pass. No longer will a player be a true Gopher. And football teams will be made of mercenaries. Im so sad.

It will come back down to a more median point eventually. I don't think there is any chance they don't eventually get some regulation around it - especially in regards to how it's being used for recruiting by some programs.
Just need several highly paid flops or a program to get in trouble where all players are getting some NIL for it to correct itself.

Anyone can get NIL deals. Weren’t non scholarship athletes always able to cash in on NIL? I could see popular D3 and D2 athletes earning deals if they have large social media followings.

Anyone can get NIL deals. Weren’t non scholarship athletes always able to cash in on NIL? I could see popular D3 and D2 athletes earning deals if they have large social media followings.
I don’t think so. It wasn’t that long ago that an amature athlete could not receive any money or they were considered a pro in all sports. The event that changed this was when a very good college athlete (I think in football, could be wrong), turned pro in snow boarding and was ruled ineligible for his college sport.

I don’t think so. It wasn’t that long ago that an amature athlete could not receive any money or they were considered a pro in all sports. The event that changed this was when a very good college athlete (I think in football, could be wrong), turned pro in snow boarding and was ruled ineligible for his college sport.
I know a guy who played baseball for Iowa and he lost his scholarship for having a part time job.

Top Bottom