NIL and portal destroying college hoops

This would make a massive difference but it would also likely be struck down by the courts.
Economically free transfer (every year) would drive down NIL. Seems like the DOJ and a few others thinking the opposite.

You are not wrong. The worst of it is to be a struggling program like ours in this type of landscape. Good programs can lose a few guys and feel good about reloading. While that is still not as fun as real college basketball was, at least there was a fighting chance. Now? It's tough.

What do you all think of this. Personally, I'm finding it harder to be a committed fan(which I've been for 45 years- through thick and thin). There's no consistency or continuity. You get a hopeful recruit and he grows into a very good player year 2. Year 3 he's a stud and helping your team really win. You're excited for team on year 4 because of this player and his surrounding staff which has grown for 3 years. They end up winning big10 and get high seed in NCAA. Any team can kiss this possibility away. I'm just really frustrated and wanted to hear some differing opinions.
One of the sucky things about players leaving programs like ours, is that, no matter what, people are almost ALWAYS going to blame the coach first, whether it was on them or not. From what I've read, the guys that have left thought they could get more PT elsewhere or NIL and seemed to let it affect the chemistry / team play a bit. I also hate that the transfer portal opened before the tournament is done
You are not wrong. The worst of it is to be a struggling program like ours in this type of landscape. Good programs can lose a few guys and feel good about reloading. While that is still not as fun as real college basketball was, at least there was a fighting chance. Now? It's tough.

NIL (paying college players) emanated out of California. The goal is to destroy college football & basketball.

I'll never donate even 1 cent to it. I've been upping my own gym and trying to do more worthwhile things.

Should multi-millionaire coaches be forced to sit out a year as well if they leave? If not, why?
Coaches and players are not the same and shouldn't be treated the same. The coach is an employee of the University and at least for the time being the players are not. Different conditions and rules apply for each, so the argument that players should be able to move around at will because coaches can is not apples to apples in my opinion.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a free transfer window for players when the head coach leaves or is fired, but in all other cases, outside of grad transfers, go back to having the players sit out for a year if they want to transfer.

But it doesn't really matter what any of us think at this point. Players will just go running to the courts if the NCAA or anyone tries to restrict things at all and this mess will continue.

As fans we probably just have to adapt to the idea that teams are essentially year to year at this point. No point really looking to the future at all, just enjoy the group of players you have and be prepared to get to know a whole new group of athletes the following year. At least in basketball. Football seems to have more continuity even if things are messy on that side as well.

NIL (paying college players) emanated out of California. The goal is to destroy college football & basketball.

I'll never donate even 1 cent to it. I've been upping my own gym and trying to do more worthwhile things.
Almost any charitable cause is better than NIL- which isn't even tax deductible to a donor. It is appalling to me that we have come to a point where these programs are dragging in massive sums from TV contracts and other revenue sources and it is now expected that the fans have to donate to pay the players. NIL wasn't intended to be this way, but this is what it has become. Let the schools just pay the players and work out some sort of salary cap. Get rid of the collectives - which are a sham that has screwed up what NIL was intended for. If a kid can then arrange through agents a way to make additional real name image likeness deals for advertising or promotional purposes - go for it. Nobody has shown any leadership in this.

Almost any charitable cause is better than NIL- which isn't even tax deductible to a donor. It is appalling to me that we have come to a point where these programs are dragging in massive sums from TV contracts and other revenue sources and it is now expected that the fans have to donate to pay the players. NIL wasn't intended to be this way, but this is what it has become. Let the schools just pay the players and work out some sort of salary cap. Get rid of the collectives - which are a sham that has screwed up what NIL was intended for. If a kid can then arrange through agents a way to make additional real name image likeness deals for advertising or promotional purposes - go for it. Nobody has shown any leadership in this.
The problem at this point is any effort to change or restrict things will just lead to another court battle. Reform of some kind will happen eventually but it will probably take years to figure it all out in a way that actually works for everyone.

But until that time comes it will continue to be a massive mess that teams will have to find a way to navigate.

Said it a few times on here, the fact that collectives are just accepted as a valid thing by everyone involved is mind boggling to me.

I've said it over and over, the only way this gets settled down is with a CBA and contracts. The kids will get paid through the University and have to sign a contract that they would be tied to. Collectives then would become a moot point in terms of stealing players. Those collectives have no rules now, so why wouldn't they call a Payne and offer him cash if he leaves, there's no reason not to do it. If PP was under contract they'd have no reason to call as he couldn't leave. Now, you could still have collectives to help kids get endorsements while they are under contract (much like pro players now) but they wouldn't have unfettered FA like we have now.

Then there will inevitably be kids (again like the pros) that try to force their way out, but at least with a cba and contract the school would have some leg to stand on and say sorry you aren't leaving. While also still being able to release a kid. Hey 12th man , we know you aren't happy and went to leave, its a win win if you do, cool we can release you.

I'm ok with one free transfer. But just limit it to that one. No more grad transfers, no waivers. If you want to transfer a second time, then you have to sit out.

Unfortunately I don't think the NCAA has much control over that anymore as it's become a legal matter.

Contracts might be the only way to stop it.
Agree, but I'd add if the head coach leaves, players have a 30 day window where can leave too.

Top Bottom