Nightmare of 89 on Big Ten network

gophersfan

Reaction score
the nightmare of 1989 vs OSU is on right now. BTN. who would want to see that game again.

I guess I thought those kind of epic collapses originated with Mason.

Ohio State would....

those epic collapses were endemic of the Dome era. They were something that started
long before Mason showed up. Since he raised the program's stature, they just seemed
bigger when they happened to Mason- the stakes were higher.

Remember this game well. It was somewhat rare for the Gophers to be on regular tv back then so when they were it was an event where we drove to Grandpa's and spent the afternoon watching it with him (R.I.P.). It was such a heartbreak to lose that game. That was the beginning of the end of the Gutey era. As OSU came storming back he had this expression on his face that he didn't know what to do.

The game on Nov 7th of '81 was on right before that so I guess it evens out.

What a game!

Wow, an Epic Fail to rival the '03 fiasco, if not surpass. And to have the winning pass of redemption overthrown by naught more than an inch. Yet somehow I had to watch the whole train wreck as though compelled to learn more of the deep anguish that so deeply colors the rich tapestry that is Gopher football...

Golden Memories

I remember that afternoon well.

Little Studwell was not a happy camper.

One of the first Gopher games I ever took my daughter to. I remember her asking me why I kept mummbling to myself. She was 10 at the time. The dome was cursed. We should have never left campus.

I will never forget that night for a number of reasons. I was in the marching band at the time and I remember the rollercoaster of emotions we went through that night. Also, we had a band Halloween party after the game and it was one of the first times I talked to my current wife of 16 years so I guess the night wasn't a total loss.

The Barbie Doll game

The afternoon of October 28, 1989. First time, and certainly not the last time, I got kicked in the nuts as a Gopher football fan.

The Buckeyes were visiting the Gophers and the game was actually the marquee afternoon game featured on TV that day. Television being 4 channels to me at the time. Long story short the Gophers blow a big halftime lead and fall behind late 41-37. They have one final chance and are driving into OSU territory needing a 4th down conversion to continue the drive. Pass goes awry and OSU gets the ball back on downs to run out the clock.

My sister, who was almost 6 years old at the time, had collection of Barbie Dolls that were strewn about the family room where I was watching the game. Well, when that final 4th down pass attempt fell incomplete I, in a fit of anger, kicked one of her unfortunate Barbie Dolls which flew across the room, crashed into a wall and came crashing down to the floor without her head. Yes, I decapitated Barbie. My sister wailed and my mom yelled. I stormed outside to kick the football around for the next hour to just to get rid of some of my anger. I knew right then that college football must be something special to follow if I could get that angry.

That game took place during my "black hole" of Gopher football exposure. I was a senior in college myself (not at the 'U') and I was all wrapped up with my new girlfriend (now my wife). So, I paid attention but not much more than "How'd the Gophers do today?" at that time. I am glad I was spared the preview of the '03 Michigan game.

Long story short the Gophers blow a big halftime lead and fall behind late 41-37. They have one final chance and are driving into OSU territory needing a 4th down conversion to continue the drive. Pass goes awry and OSU gets the ball back on downs to run out the clock.

Actually, we had the winning TD thrown 2 inches too far off the fingertips of the receiver in the endzone as time expired. It was even worse than you describe.

I didn't get to see the game, I was stationed in California at the time. I had to watch whatever game was on TV, hoping for occasional updates. I remember being so pumped about beating OSU, and then I hear "... greatest comeback in OSU history". That was my first real taste of epic-level snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

For your viewing pleasure.....

Iowa in 1986, Ohio State in 1985, Indiana in 1987, Utah in 1990, Illinois in 1982.......

I'm sure I've left some off.

Oh yeah....there was a curse in that place Big Time.

Up 31-0 with 4 minutes to play in the first half. Minnesota's D forces a 3 and out. Ohio State punts. Minnesota 12 men on the field. OSU scores before half and it's 31-8.

12 men on the field sums up Gutey's command of a football team during his entire tenure. For those too young, picture Brewster's sideline in 2007 for four plus seasons. Chaotic. (Not like Brew's sideline the past two years)

Two crucial plays that lost that 1989 game

This game was the one where one of my current season ticket buddy's dad gave up his season tickets after that season. The 12 man on the field play was crucial as without tOSU scoring there they would never have thought it was over. The third down play on the OSU last scoring drive where the Safety and CB fight each other off the ball and instead of a interception to end the game they take the lead to win at the end. Yes dome ball was indeed cursed.

Iowa in 1986, Ohio State in 1985, Indiana in 1987, Utah in 1990, Illinois in 1982.......

I'm sure I've left some off.

Oh yeah....there was a curse in that place Big Time.

Wisconsin 2005.....................

Top Bottom