Nigel Hayes weighs in on noose issue

The noose is way over the line. Complaining about someone dressing up as the president in a jail suit? Sorry bub, that's been going on for years and years.
And while I agree with his stance that athletes should receive more compensation from the NCAA, I lost any respect I had for him when he told someone who made the point that he played DIII basketball for no money, no scholarship, "Sorry I'm a better basketball player than you." Grow up.

Can't disagree with what he's saying. He has got a point and who am I as a white, American male to say that he doesn't experience those things day to day? It's sad that that stuff still exists today all over the country. I wouldn't be surprised if the same could be said about UMN. In fact, I would expect the same to be true.

On a different topic, a few weeks ago he was complaining about how he should be treated like a professional athlete and earning a paycheck. Now he's all about the STUDENT-Athlete as he chooses to emphasize in his letter. Which one is it?

Not sure what board this belongs on but since he is referring to the noose incident at Camp Randall thought I would put it here.

https://twitter.com/NIGEL_HAYES

https://twitter.com/NIGEL_HAYES/status/795795295795875840

As someone who has spent too much of their life in Wisconsin, nobody should be surprised by these types of antics in Wisconsin. It is by far the most racist, discriminatory state in the Midwest. Yes, Minnesota has its fair share of this, but Wisconsin dinner parties are like Mississippi in the 60s.

Maybe, Nigel and other athletes of diverse backgrounds should've chose a school not backed by thousands of fat, white, uneducated losers, who don't care about anybody, but their own kind"?

Rant over.

For a smart kid he misses the point which is that the harsh truth is many people don't actually care. They don't actually care about the humanity of black people/athletes. Well, they do, until the realities of it make them uncomfortable or when they're forced to confront the inconvenient truths about our nation. That's why myself and so many others lose white 'friends' as soon as we begin to openly express the full depths of our experiences and feelings regarding our blackness. Its all good when you're scoring points or doing/saying non controversial things but as soon as you dare to step out of your presumed place within the social order you get shouted down, called names and treated like a terrorist. IE Colin Kaepernick.

For a smart kid he misses the point which is that the harsh truth is many people don't actually care. They don't actually care about the humanity of black people/athletes. Well, they do, until the realities of it make them uncomfortable or when they're forced to confront the inconvenient truths about our nation. That's why myself and so many others lose white 'friends' as soon as we begin to openly express the full depths of our experiences and feelings regarding our blackness. Its all good when you're scoring points or doing/saying non controversial things but as soon as you dare to step out of your presumed place within the social order you get shouted down, called names and treated like a terrorist. IE Colin Kaepernick.

+1. It is interesting that the Badger fan(s) behavior would be explained away(in some circles), yet someone sitting down in quiet peaceful protest would be considered a terrorist...

Mocking icons will always lose friends and turn people off, whether your icon is the National Anthem or the First Black President. If you don't like the social order you can either ignore it, climb it, mock it, or go off and sulk.

Mocking icons will always lose friends and turn people off, whether your icon is the National Anthem or the First Black President. If you don't like the social order you can either ignore it, climb it, mock it, or go off and sulk.

Serious question. How do you propose someone like Nigel Hayes "climbs" it?

The Badger fans in question were intentionally trying to incite. The President in a prison suit is one thing. They really were trying to hammer home a point with the noose. They really wanted all to know their intent. What is more troubling is those at the gate were okay with letting them in.

I will mention that I could be wrong and that they smuggled in the costumes, but that would be scary as well since women I forced to carry clear bags into the stadium...

Serious question. How do you propose someone like Nigel Hayes "climbs" it?

A good start would be to marry a good woman and provide a nurturing home to children. Upward mobility is a multigenerational project.

Thanks for sharing that.

Mocking Presidents is an American tradition, but in this day and age anyone who cannot understand the implications of an African-American in a noose is simply a mental midget or beyond any sense of decency.

A good start would be to marry a good woman and provide a nurturing home to children. Upward mobility is a multigenerational project.

Okay, I get it. Nigel Hayes is going to fix said issues by marrying a good woman and providing a nurturing home to his children. I am sure that will right the ship in Madison. Never knew that is all that was needed over there...

You don't think good parenting would have helped the guy with the noose?

You don't think good parenting would have helped the guy with the noose?

Unfortunately, I've run accross many people who did the opposite of what their parents taught them.

Regarding the fans behavior, IMHO the more it gets exposed the better. The hope is it will discourage this type of behavior.

Can I ask what did Colin Kaepernick expect? There is obviously a cultural problem, thus the reason Colin and so many others are protesting. To then get disgusted by the response is kind of like being disappointed your finger got burned when you touched the stove is it not?

Colin is accomplishing what he wanted, bringing a greater light to the issue. "Starting a conversation". I'll always be one that says talk is cheap, but at a minimum talking is hopefully a precursor to resolution.

Can I ask what did Colin Kaepernick expect? There is obviously a cultural problem, thus the reason Colin and so many others are protesting. To then get disgusted by the response is kind of like being disappointed your finger got burned when you touched the stove is it not?

Colin is accomplishing what he wanted, bringing a greater light to the issue. "Starting a conversation". I'll always be one that says talk is cheap, but at a minimum talking is hopefully a precursor to resolution.

You say that as if Kaep himself is complaining. Point is people are telling on themselves. Everyone claims to be for equality until black people begin telling the truth without censoring it. Kaep and others essentially said 'this country doesn't treat us the way it claims to and the relationship we have with the country we love but abuses us is complicated and painful'. The response by all these so called 'patriots' was to insult him and others. Little league FB players are receiving death threats for kneeling. Many black people fully expected that because we know the amount of hate there is under the surface towards us in this country. Its just more out in the open now. Black athletes play in front of 70,000 fans screaming for them and a good percentage of those same fans have no care for their humanity as black Americans

An interesting discussion.

Also interesting: The sign that the idiot with the noose was carrying suggested he was a Bernie Sanders supporter. Weird.

These kinds of things are almost always false flag operations.

You say that as if Kaep himself is complaining. Point is people are telling on themselves. Everyone claims to be for equality until black people begin telling the truth without censoring it. Kaep and others essentially said 'this country doesn't treat us the way it claims to and the relationship we have with the country we love but abuses us is complicated and painful'. The response by all these so called 'patriots' was to insult him and others. Little league FB players are receiving death threats for kneeling. Many black people fully expected that because we know the amount of hate there is under the surface towards us in this country. Its just more out in the open now. Black athletes play in front of 70,000 fans screaming for them and a good percentage of those same fans have no care for their humanity as black Americans

Again, I'm not sure why you're "complaining" about people showing their true colors when faced with "the truth". That should be the goal of the movement.

Define "good percentage", for what it's worth, a good percentage of that 70,000 don't care for the humanity of any Amercians, black or not.

I'm personally of the opinion that I don't really care what Kaepernick does. BUT - I know lots of people that regardless of race feel that kneeling (or not standing at attention) for the national anthem is disrespectful - period. I don't think I necessarily agree with that, but I think it's a valid position for someone to have and it doesn't necessarily mean they are racist.

Top Bottom