Nickname for the Iowa/Neb. Game?

balds

Reaction score
My vote is for the Everclear Bowl.

rivalry game IA vs NE

how about the corn bowl, or bowl of corn?

Why exactly are Iowa and Nebraska two separate states? Is there any sort of meaningful cultural, geographical, or historical reason for them being separate?

I get that there is a river between them.... is that it?

BTW, while they both deserve to be made fun of, I would be interested to hear a real answer, too.

I don't know what we can call the game, but in the stands, it will be a "cattle call" for the female spectators.

You know the old joke of why the originally put in artificial turf at Kinnick was to keep the cheerleaders from grazing.

Why exactly are Iowa and Nebraska two separate states? Is there any sort of meaningful cultural, geographical, or historical reason for them being separate?

BTW, while they both deserve to be made fun of, I would be interested to hear a real answer, too.

Rivers make good natural boundaries. Even today when it's a lot easier to get traffic and goods across rivers, rivers are still an impediment. Two towns might be only a couple miles apart, on the opposite side of a river, but you might have to drive a ways out of your way to get to the bridge.

Iowa is about the size of an average state, if Iowa and Nebraska were one state, it would be one very long state.

Nebraska became a state in 1867. Iowa became a state in 1846.

Rivers make good natural boundaries. Even today when it's a lot easier to get traffic and goods across rivers, rivers are still an impediment. Two towns might be only a couple miles apart, on the opposite side of a river, but you might have to drive a ways out of your way to get to the bridge.

Iowa is about the size of an average state, if Iowa and Nebraska were one state, it would be one very long state.

Nerd. ;)

I like Farmagedden as well.

I hate to say it, but those two schools have an opportunity to build a great rivalry due to the 'sameness' of their two states AND the current power of their two programs. We've got some work to do to join the battle, on the football side of things.

Farmageddon is good, but most Nebraska and Iowa fans would likely think it was pronounced "Farmage Don". I like "Corn Holders". Or Holers.

If Minnesota keeps sucking, its going to be called the "Minnesota Who? Bowl".

More specifically it was on the advice of a man who this city now remembers with a downtown bus-lane.

But I may remark, in the first place, that two states may be formed west of the trans-Mississippian states of Arkansas and Missouri; and then, by taking about equal portions of each side of the Missouri River, embracing the mouth of the Platte River, we have a third state, with a good and well-watered soil. This latter division would still leave sufficient space for the state of Iowa, by extending it as far north as the St. Peter's. Now, north of the two last-mentioned states might be formed another, embracing all the remaining tributaries of the Mississippi on its west side, as well as those of the Red River of the North, and as far north as to the British possessions.

Thus it appears, that, by a judicious division of the remaining country along the borders, taking in a small portion of the more barren region beyond it, there is sufficient space for five new states of large size, compact in their forms, and having a good portion of fertile soil; most of them possessing convenient navigable streams, with a fair prospect of mineral resources.

JOSEPH NICOLAS NICOLLET

Report to Congress, 1841

You'll note he actually wants to deny Iowa access to the Missouri, but Iowa refused to vote this border in as under their own plan ( submitted by their Governor Lucas, who had already threatened his southern neighbors with force during a border dispute in the Honey War of '37) they sought both banks of the Missouri and good deal of Nebraska. Eventually the compromise was set at the Missouri but they lost southern Minnesota south of the St Peter (Minnesota River).
And thus Nebraska was saved from Iowa, as was southern Minnesota...

Nebraska, Iowa and Minnesota were indeed very much cut of same cloth, which gives them all the more reason to hate each other! (I mean in sports of course ;))

Top Bottom