NFL team wants to interview Fleck for head coaching job

When I first saw this report this morning, I was pissed that Fleck's agent was doing this garbage after such a terrible year. Fleck just got a raise, you want to hold the University up (and worry Gopher fans)? How about filling that trophy case or putting a B1G West banner up somewhere?

The more I thought about it, I was no longer convinced this was coming from Fleck's agent. The idea that an NFL team would be interested in Fleck after the year he had and his reputation in coaching circles (more of a motivator/manager than X's and O's guy) is so unbelievable that it couldn't be used for leverage. That leads me to believe that its possible that one NFL franchise is actually this dumb (and I say that as someone who thinks highly of Fleck). I know you couldn't bring Ferentz in to an NFL locker room right now, but I'd put Fitzgerald/Chryst/Ferentz ahead of PJ just in B1G West coaches as potential NFL fits right now. There's even an argument for Brohm as offensive minds are currently coveted right now above Coach Fleck as well.

I hope PJ's here for a long time, but few things can cut down your momentum in a job more than your name constantly being out there for other jobs. If it happens after a good year, it just is used against you in recruiting. If it happens after a bad year, it's used against you in recruiting and your own fan base starts to get annoyed.

Good post.

It's funny, Ferentz was one of the college coaches you always heard about getting NFL interest.

The thing with PJ is that I think he is a really good teacher, coach and leader of a team but he really isn't flashy at all. His personality and his offense don't really match. I think it's actually part of his success. I think because PJ coaches WR, has offenses that put up big numbers and kind of looks like those offensive wunderkinds (Sean McVay, Kevin Stephanski, Kyle Shanahan, Kliff Kingsbury, Zach Taylor) that people get the wrong impression.

In my opinion, PJ's strong preference is for a simple power running game and then an efficient but simple passing game based off playaction and to keep it pretty simple. I think PJ is a much better coach but Brohm will have a more innovative offense than PJ.

I'm not saying PJ wouldn't be successful because he clearly understands how to manage large groups of people. But I've seen his name thrown in during numerous discussions when they talk about innovative offensive minds. I think PJ's coaching style is innovative in a lot of ways off the field, on the field. . . he is about as throwback as it comes.

I want to temper this a bit.

PJ has a great talent in creating culture. Culture is becoming a bigger and bigger part of the NFL locker room. Makes sense that NFL GM might want to pick his brain - especially on that topic.

The NFL has a well earned reputation for being leeches on every aspect of football in hopes they can to get even the smallest advantage. So having an interest in interviewing a coach is not the same as having an interest in HIRING that coach. It simply means that the coach has some talent or knowledge that the team wants to explore first hand to see what it can gain. See - Mike Zimmer prior to his hiring as with the Vikings - as an prime example. (Super sharp defensive mind interviewed many times but never hired)

So I expect tweets like the will happen almost every year for PJ. Not worried about him leaving for the NFL in the least.

PJ has a great talent in creating culture. Culture is becoming a bigger and bigger part of the NFL locker room. Makes sense that NFL GM might want to pick his brain - especially on that topic.

The NFL has a well earned reputation for being leeches on every aspect of football in hopes they can to get even the smallest advantage. So having an interest in interviewing a coach is not the same as having an interest in HIRING that coach. It simply means that the coach has some talent or knowledge that the team wants to explore first hand to see what it can gain. See - Mike Zimmer prior to his hiring as with the Vikings - as an prime example. (Super sharp defensive mind interviewed many times but never hired)

So I expect tweets like the will happen almost every year for PJ. Not worried about him leaving for the NFL in the least.

Smart post, good point.

Another small but vital fact:

Just because a team wants to interview him, that doesn't necessarily mean Fleck wants to be interviewed.

Before the holidays, I heard Amazon would like to have me — or most anyone — apply online to be a package handler. In my case, the job doesn't fit my current situation. That doesn't mean it is a bad job, or that it wouldn't be a nice gig for someone else. It simply doesn't interest me.

Same thing was said during the Mason years- that worked out well
The hiring of Brew will always stand out to all current and future Minnesota AD's as what not to do.

If we had gone from Mason to Kill, I suspect we could've maintained at least a decent level the whole time.

Minnesota has been a dead end and head coaching career ender for every single head coach since Lou Holtz, but the Lions job is even more of a tombstone.
Some of them have gone on to coach again, so I wouldn't call it a career ender. Mason possibly could have coached again, but got a cushy TV gig instead.

Vehemetly disagree that professional NFL football players want or need the personal/moral development aspects of PJ's culture, which is one of the biggest emphasis of what he tries to sell high school recruits (and particularly their parents) on in coming here.

Last edited:

Jacksonville Jaguars, not the Lions, is my guess. Jacksonville has tons of cap room to spend, will be getting Trevor Lawrence and will be a new, young team. This is where the interview will be.

It is going to be hard for him to turn this down, if in fact, he is offered a job. I would guess that he doesn't get offered one yet, but that at some point, he will if he keeps moving in the right direction.

This program will sink into the ground if PJ does not stay. Pay the man what is needed, he has changed the entire culture at not just the football team, but the whole university as it applies to sports.
Dumb. Let him go.

I don’t think he will be hired, but I heard that P.J. has made it further in the process with Detroit. He apparently recruits well outside of college players, because he has Rob Bryzinski and George Paton of the Vikings who would come with him. Paton almost went with Stefanski to Cleveland last year.
My money is on the favorite, Robert Saleh to get hired over Fleck though.

I don’t think he will be hired, but I heard that P.J. has made it further in the process with Detroit. He apparently recruits well outside of college players, because he has Rob Bryzinski and George Paton of the Vikings who would come with him. Paton almost went with Stefanski to Cleveland last year.
Bryzinski wouldn't leave to be Paton's #2, Bryz always turns down outside opportunities and Rick isn't allowing Chris to do that.

I don’t know from where you heard that, but it just doesn’t make sense to me. It’s not like PJ and Rob or George share anything other than residing in the same state and working in football. PJ has never worked with either of them, and I don’t see a reason for him to cultivate a relationship with them.

IDK, I just don’t see him leaving. Maybe I’m just hoping.

This is just to satisfy the Rooney rule.

Jay Glazer just had a segment on the coaching carousel. Fleck was in the College column, with Harbaugh, Meyer, Campbell and Fitz.

I don’t know from where you heard that, but it just doesn’t make sense to me. It’s not like PJ and Rob or George share anything other than residing in the same state and working in football. PJ has never worked with either of them, and I don’t see a reason for him to cultivate a relationship with them.

IDK, I just don’t see him leaving. Maybe I’m just hoping.

I occasionally get some NFL info that may or may not happen. I know a guy who knows a couple of guys involved in the NFL, haha.

I heard that yesterday. Now today:

Screenshot_20210103-144952_GroupMe.jpg

PJF will not abandon his players for personal vanity
I don’t think so either, but I have to admit I’m getting a little nervous. Unless he angling for contract extension, why not just come on out and say I’m not interested. He hasn’t done that has he?
If he leaves I’m going to be sick to my stomach.

During the Vikings game they talked with Chris Spielman about what they are looking for and he essentially described a person who is a leader. (he went into more detail, but it definitely sounded like Fleck).

I don’t think so either, but I have to admit I’m getting a little nervous. Unless he angling for contract extension, why not just come on out and say I’m not interested. He hasn’t done that has he?
If he leaves I’m going to be sick to my stomach.
Because there hasn’t actually been any reports of him even interviewing

He isn’t going to and shouldn’t comment every time someone on Twitter says someone else might want to talk to him

During the Vikings game they talked with Chris Spielman about what they are looking for and he essentially described a person who is a leader. (he went into more detail, but it definitely sounded like Fleck).
NFL non-answer answer. I would be very surprised if they are looking for someone who is not a leader.

No inside info but i would be shocked if Chris Spielman even thought of Fleck.

Top Bottom