NFL Draft’s Top 50 Busts: Where Are They Now?

Thought we might see Maroney or Middlebrooks on that list given that neither lived up to their late first round picks. Interesting list though to see some of the names of guys that didn't live up to the hype.

I could think of others that should have been in there in place of a few of those listed. For instance, Clarett was a bust, but where was Underwood. At least Clarett was a third round risk...Underwood was first.

Otherwise, list pretty subjective and not certain what the criteria was for naming.

Where Buster Rhymes & Underwood first rounders for the Vikings?

It seems (on this list) that Penn State & Notre Dame have produced quite a few duds over the years.

Man, imagine Green Bay had they picked one of the other top 5 who will all eventually end up in the HoF. Instead, they picked Mandarich.

I suppose the only thing that saves Mandarich from being in the Top 10 is that he actually started almost 50 games. But he was terrible.

I would think Mandarich at #2 would be in there considering that #1, #3, #4, and #5 were Aikman, Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders, and Derrick Thomas.

Didn't see David Pollack or Jamarcus Russell on the list. Both seem to be pretty big busts to me. Russell would be #1 on my list. Pollack was out due to injury so maybe that doesn't qualify.

Didn't see David Pollack or Jamarcus Russell on the list. Both seem to be pretty big busts to me. Russell would be #1 on my list. Pollack was out due to injury so maybe that doesn't qualify.

The article states "Note: This is ESPN’s list, not ours, and it was compiled in 2008." Being that Russell was drafted in '07, I can't imagine anyone already would have considered him a complete bust. On a current list I would think he has to be pretty high up.

50. Michael Westbrook, Colorado, WR (No. 4 overall, 1995): After a big rookie season, injuries and issues with teammates led to a mediocre career. Today he lives in Mesa, AZ, and is a mixed martial artist.

I'm not shocked by his post NFL career choice.

Any list that doesn't have Dimitrious (sp?) Underwood in the top 10 is ridiculous. He was a 1st round draft choice and lasted exactly one (1!) PRACTICE with the Vikes!!!

NOTE: I think Rhymes was like a 4th round draft pick.

I think going past the second round on lists like this is not fair. Sounds like he picked players in some cases he had issues with. And the list could go back farther since there were 2nd & 1st round picks who flopped in earlier years, although drafting players was not nearly as refined back 20 + years ago as it is now.

It doesn't make any sense to put Clarrett on this list since he was a 3rd round pick and even that was considered a reach. Not to mention that he had been out of football for 2 years and wasn't really considered by many people to even really be a big factor in the NFL prior to that draft.

Any list that doesn't have Dimitrious (sp?) Underwood in the top 10 is ridiculous. He was a 1st round draft choice and lasted exactly one (1!) PRACTICE with the Vikes!!!

NOTE: I think Rhymes was like a 4th round draft pick.

Great choice with Underwood. Arguably the dumbest draft choice ever made. Nick Saban and his coaches at Michigan State warned teams in the NFL not to draft Underwood and the Vikings drafted him in the 1st round. The following pick was Patrick Kerney who had 82.5 career sacks and was a 2 time All-Pro DE.

Top Bottom