next year's linebackers

KD6-3.7

credulous skeptic
Reaction score
i suppose that we will be playing more 3-4 next year than we did this year. if that is the case, what will the starting 4 look like?

lawrence lock to start outside; that leaves: sharpe/cooper/tate/tinsley
campbell lock to start on the inside; that leaves: maresh/triplett/rallis

any newcomers possibly gonna crack the depth chart?
no matter what i like the way we look:)

What makes you think that?

I am just curious why you would think we will see more 3-4 defense next year?

i suppose that we will be playing more 3-4 next year than we did this year. if that is the case, what will the starting 4 look like?

lawrence lock to start outside; that leaves: sharpe/cooper/tate/tinsley
campbell lock to start on the inside; that leaves: maresh/triplett/rallis

any newcomers possibly gonna crack the depth chart?
no matter what i like the way we look:)

1. Tate transferred, cross him off the list.
2. Add Spencer Reeves to the mix as an OLB.
3. Rallis played FS this season; are you sure Rallis will move to MLB? I'm not disagreeing that he would be better as a LB long term but I'm trying to figure out if that is based on something you've heard or your assumption.
4. Add Ryan Grant to the mix but I'm not sure if he would be MLB or OLB.
5. Tinsley could be either MLB or OLB. I think they had him at OLB this season because he didn't have adequate size yet for MLB.

At least in terms of game experience we are deeper at DL than we are at LB.

i don't think that we will use 3-4 more

i supposewe will use 3-4 more. and i only suppose we will use it because i like it:D as i have no definite knowledge on the matter i also suppose that we might use it less or more, but it seems like we saw more 3-4 as the season moved on, also we have a glut of stud linebacker types and both brown and small and moen will all be gone after next year and i only see two true DT (searcy, edwards) among our last two years of recruits (richardson will only come to MN if he can play TE).

after next year i see edwards/?allen-hopefully?/ searcy taking turns at NT.
if we were going to be playing more 4-3 i think that necessity would dictate more than 3 DTs on the roster (i know we will tony strouth on the roster, but at 5-10 250 is he a legit DT?).

LB

Tate' will play for a different team.

Raillis played safety this year and I wouldn't be shocked if he moved to LB but not inside.

Inside: Campbell, Triplett, Maresh, Grant

Outside: Lawrence, Cooper, Raillis, Reeves

Tinsley, Sharp I imagine could play a little of both.

If Leon commits to us he could play safety but also move up to outside LB/S hybrid in a 3/4

1. Tate transferred, cross him off the list.
2. Add Spencer Reeves to the mix as an OLB.
3. Rallis played FS this season; are you sure Rallis will move to MLB? I'm not disagreeing that he would be better as a LB long term but I'm trying to figure out if that is based on something you've heard or your assumption.
4. Add Ryan Grant to the mix but I'm not sure if he would be MLB or OLB.
5. Tinsley could be either MLB or OLB. I think they had him at OLB this season because he didn't have adequate size yet for MLB.

At least in terms of game experience we are deeper at DL than we are at LB.

do you have any thoughts on starters? i would like to see more speed.

Tate' will play for a different team.

Raillis played safety this year and I wouldn't be shocked if he moved to LB but not inside.

Inside: Campbell, Triplett, Maresh, Grant

Outside: Lawrence, Cooper, Raillis, Reeves

Tinsley, Sharp I imagine could play a little of both.

If Leon commits to us he could play safety but also move up to outside LB/S hybrid in a 3/4

I'm pretty much in agreement with everything including the order. Although possibly changing Rallis & Reeves on the depth chart--but that is just a prediction, we'll have to see when they step on the field.

i like rallis' size and speed at middle linebacker and as we are going to have many fast DBs and safties, i wouldn't mind see him along side maresh in the future. but i am only guessing as to positions:D

i supposewe will use 3-4 more. and i only suppose we will use it because i like it:D as i have no definite knowledge on the matter i also suppose that we might use it less or more, but it seems like we saw more 3-4 as the season moved on, also we have a glut of stud linebacker types and both brown and small and moen will all be gone after next year and i only see two true DT (searcy, edwards) among our last two years of recruits (richardson will only come to MN if he can play TE).

if we were going to be playing more 4-3 i think that necessity would dictate more than 3 DTs on the roster (i know we will tony strouth on the roster, but at 5-10 250 is he a legit DT?).

Searcy and Edwards are more in the NT build. Don't forget Kirksey and DL Wilhite as DT recruits.

do you have any thoughts on starters? i would like to see more speed.

If Rallis' weight on the roster (225 lbs) is accurate he is already big enough to play OLB but they'll probably want him to add 15-25 lbs to play MLB. It could happen.

In terms of newcomers, Rengel (6'3" 225 lbs.) and possibly Geogory-McGhee (6'4" 215 lbs.) might have some LB potential.

In terms of newcomers, Rengel (6'3" 225 lbs.) and possibly Geogory-McGhee (6'4" 215 lbs.) might have some LB potential.

Yes, they both can fit as LB, DE, or TE depending on how they develop and whether they have a mean streek. KGM's father was an all conference LB at Colorado. From what I've heard Rengel doesn't have the mean streak and projects more like a Tow-Arnett at TE. Get them on campus and we'll figure it out later.

The beauty of the Gopher defense this year was the inclusion of the hybrid safeties and linebackers. This allows the defense to use much of the same personnel on the field to give a different look from play to play. I wouldn't expect to see a true 3-4 defense very much but with the personnel they are using, and the recruits they are grooming, they can actually wind up playing a 3-4 style more frequently. I think it's a fantastic and effective approach and you can expect to see more and more teams trying to employ those type of players in college football. It's not really that new, mostly for the Big 10, I guess.

First, I'd call Kirksey a true DT. He came in at over 300 lbs this summer before getting to 285 for a playing weight and could be up to 300 for playing weight next year. Secondly, the DEs that the Gophers are bringing in are not traditional 3-4 ends. The two committed right now are 220 lbs or less, and the other end that it looks like the Gophers have a shot at landing is 234. I'm sure that we'll continue to see the 3-4, but it doesn't seem like they will line up in it significantly more in the future.

And with playing 2 true freshman this year it wouldn't be surprising to see another true freshman contributing in 2010.

Any way it ends up being an increase in the talent level at LB, all positions. As much as I wanted the Gophers to get Gainer, they are not hurting for LBs either.

there has been talk about matt garin and his size at DE in another thread. could perhaps garin be the next lee campbell? he has size and speed (i saw 4.6 somewhere). of course, if he could bulk up and be a force of the end, then he is needed more at DE for sure, but something to think about.

there has been talk about matt garin and his size at DE in another thread. could perhaps garin be the next lee campbell? he has size and speed (i saw 4.6 somewhere). of course, if he could bulk up and be a force of the end, then he is needed more at DE for sure, but something to think about.

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying here. Garin played DE in high school, he was recruited to play weakside, rush DE. He has the size/speed to play LB but the plan is to play him at DE unless he shows he can't put on weight. Expect him to redshirt this year and then compete for a starting job next year although he'll still be light. In a 3-4 he could play OLB like DeMarcus Ware for the Cowboys--it is essentially a tweener position for OLB/DE.

Campbell was recruited as a LB. He played there as a freshman and then moved to DE for a year because we were lacking there and had more depth at LB. Then he moved back to MLB because we were lacking there this season.

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying here. Garin played DE in high school, he was recruited to play weakside, rush DE. He has the size/speed to play LB but the plan is to play him at DE unless he shows he can't put on weight. Expect him to redshirt this year and then compete for a starting job next year although he'll still be light. In a 3-4 he could play OLB like DeMarcus Ware for the Cowboys--it is essentially a tweener position for OLB/DE.

Campbell was recruited as a LB. He played there as a freshman and then moved to DE for a year because we were lacking there and had more depth at LB. Then he moved back to MLB because we were lacking there this season.

he is a great athlete and he is too light to play DE. he has to put on at LEAST 30 lbs. and that is not an easy thing to do. some bodies just don't have the ability to put on weight.
it is easy to project a recruit to gain muscle in college, but that is not always the case, some just have metabolisms that make putting on weight--muscle or fat--difficult. what i am saying is that at 6-4 220 and with 4.6 speed and the kind of agility that he seems to have, i wouldn't mind seeing him at LB if DE doesn't work out for him.

he is a great athlete and he is too light to play DE. he has to put on at LEAST 30 lbs. and that is not an easy thing to do. some bodies just don't have the ability to put on weight.
it is easy to project a recruit to gain muscle in college, but that is not always the case, some just have metabolisms that make putting on weight--muscle or fat--difficult. what i am saying is that at 6-4 220 and with 4.6 speed and the kind of agility that he seems to have, i wouldn't mind seeing him at LB if DE doesn't work out for him.

If he can't do it he'll be a LB. But, he has a frame that can handle more weight and I'd be willing to bet that the weight staff will be successful in getting him to add the needed weight. He'll be at Weak side DE so 250+ is fine. My guess is that he redshirts this year and he'll put on at 20+ lbs in his first year.

Top Bottom