Next year

I'm not so sure on that one. I think the virus quarintine had a major impact on Coyle's decision. The world, including college basketball, is at a standstill. Not likely a coach with much character is going to abandon his team and university in a crisis either. There was little chance of Coyle bringing in a current A grade experienced head coach in this environment. He may have gotten an assistant to move if that was on the radar. Nothing in terms of player movement in the off season would surprise me.

The effect that the current situation had on things cannot be overstated. In an average year you have 5-8 major conference jobs come open. We are at 0 right now, and I'd be shocked if there end up being more than 2.

I was very impressed with Ihnen. Carr can be the leader of your team. Kalscheur ought to be pretty good growing into his role. Really need some big bodies to compete nightly in this league. Don't know enough about Freeman or other guys that didnt play much. Overall, I would think your team has a decent enough core to compete. Might be tough to get to the upper half without an upgrade at C or a huge surprise.

I was very impressed with Ihnen. Carr can be the leader of your team. Kalscheur ought to be pretty good growing into his role. Really need some big bodies to compete nightly in this league. Don't know enough about Freeman or other guys that didnt play much. Overall, I would think your team has a decent enough core to compete. Might be tough to get to the upper half without an upgrade at C or a huge surprise.
I see Ihnen making a big jump next year as he will be bigger, stronger and was really coming on at the end of this season. I think Freeman may be a surprise as well. He does have a nice shooting touch from what I have seen during game warm-ups. I also read that he grew 2 inches from his junior to senior year in high school and that in fact he is still growing height wise. He certainly has the physical attributes to play center and if the coaches can develop his inside scoring game he will be a real asset next year.

I see Ihnen making a big jump next year as he will be bigger, stronger and was really coming on at the end of this season. I think Freeman may be a surprise as well. He does have a nice shooting touch from what I have seen during game warm-ups. I also read that he grew 2 inches from his junior to senior year in high school and that in fact he is still growing height wise. He certainly has the physical attributes to play center and if the coaches can develop his inside scoring game he will be a real asset next year.
I think NCAA tournament appearance is a fair expectation for this squad. Lots of talent. Plenty of experience.

I think NCAA tournament appearance is a fair expectation for this squad. Lots of talent. Plenty of experience.

But without Daniel, there is no star/go to guy. I like Marcus in the role as second option. I'm not sure he can hold the position of first option without another solid guy who has to be guarded on every play. Maybe Ihnen steps up and Gabe returns to form, but way too many unanswered questions. Without major production from spring recruits, I don't see anything better than this year.

But without Daniel, there is no star/go to guy. I like Marcus in the role as second option. I'm not sure he can hold the position of first option without another solid guy who has to be guarded on every play. Maybe Ihnen steps up and Gabe returns to form, but way too many unanswered questions. Without major production from spring recruits, I don't see anything better than this year.
That could definitely be the case and maybe the most likely, that would probably be expected and then we move on the following year to new coach.

It will be interesting to see what happens with early entries or transfers.

I liked what I saw on the Gophers squad this past year. A bit young and the late game collapses really killed them, but they could be good with some added depth. I thought you would sweep Indiana after the sweep of OhioSt, they are fairly similar teams. Get those 2 and the Maryland game and it's 11-9. Take the game in Madison and they are 12-8.

I realize those didn't happen and the likely departure of Oturu will be tough, but think if the right pieces are found, next year could be good.

Top Bottom