Next Year Gophers - Who can create?

Swaggerson

Bank Sect 112 Barn Sect 102
Reaction score
My observations over the past year is that whenever a shot needs to be created...end of the shot clock, opposing defenses interupting the flow, etc...my buddy Westbrook is nearly always the guy who creates his own shot. After his eligibilty ends, who steps up into that role? Is it someone on the current roster? I know who I would want to take the shot, but he cannot create. Who is going to create next year?

The two players on our roster who seem to have the athletic ability to be one-on-one shot creators are Rodney Williams and Devoe Joseph. Devoe has the mentality to go with it, but is obviously struggling this year. Williams, as he gets stronger and smarter, and develops his skill set, could be a real dynamo with the ball in his hands.

With the team we have now. Joseph 1a and Williams 1b. We have all been a bit critical of Devoe this year with his inconsistent play. One thing he has, and that you need as a go to, is confidence. He will mature in a year and be the man. Williams needs to get his legs under him and a bit of playing time, but he has the overall skills to do it. Not saying this with a lot of bravado, but seems to be the only 2 legitimite options in this regard.

Rodney at Cooper

How did Rodney get his points at Cooper? Put back, drive, slash, jumpers? Are we convinced he can create at this level?

Cobbs can get........

in the lane any time he wants to....he just needs to work on making the right decision once he gets in there!!

I'd also say that Cobbs has the potential. I've been really pleased with what I've seen of him so far. You can tell that he's trying to work Tubby's system and not freelance too much, but there have been a few times when he's been pressed and has shown that he can go by people. If he can polish his mid-range game, he could really help next year.

If Royce and Mbakwe are back and we get Cory Joseph our offense shouldn't be a problem.

Carter and Cobbs have shown flashes of instant offense.

I have not seen Williams put the ball on the floor to create. With his height and leaping ability, if he could develop a nice jumper, he could be a matchup headache.

1) Royce White - Is on the current roster and will be the go to guy, if... Good passer too, Ralph, Colt and Trevor could really benefit from him dishing to the opposite block/ high-low.
2) Devoe - No guarantee he will be smarter with his shot selection or a better shooter, but he will be given the opportunity to be the player Tubby recruited him to be.
3) Cobbs - Has shown flashes he is capable.
3) Williams - Not sure yet; haven't seen to much slashing and don't consider a him an outside threat.

http://twitter.com/GophersNow - Tubby said Devoe Joseph needs to settle down on offense and not take so many shots. He also said Joseph needs to focus more on his defense.

Devoe Joseph can get his shot, he just needs to figure some things with his shot I think. I also agree with Cobbs, I really like what I've seen from him. Williams will be a handful once he figures things out, if he does next year, he could definitely be a guy who can get his own shot. Paul Carter has some shown some pretty good ability to get shots.

Theoretically, if Royce comes into the fold for real, I have confidence he can create his own shot and if not be a "go-to" guy, be at least a very reliable option on offense.

It will be a very different team if we have White and Mbakwe on the court. I don't think we will need that Westbrook type guy to emerge. I could see RW getting a lot of touches at the elbow, opening it up for Blake, Cobbs and Joseph to knock down some set shots.

Royce laptop, Trevor case, Cory's decision, will Allen be a factor? It will be nice to get some of these big question marks figured out in the next couple months.

Hate to be the barrer of bad news but Mbwake is way overhyped on this board he will not be able to create for anyone. He is a bruiser who lives on the glass and has minimal post moves, his best way to score is put back dunks. Not necessarily a creater for other players

Hate to be the barrer of bad news but Mbwake is way overhyped on this board he will not be able to create for anyone. He is a bruiser who lives on the glass and has minimal post moves, his best way to score is put back dunks. Not necessarily a creater for other players

True. I wasn't trying to suggest he would create his own shot or shots for other, that directed at Royce... I mentioned Mbakwe because together they would greatly change the dynamics of the squad.

Anyone know the time-line for Cory's decision?

simple answer- Royce White. He is 6'8, can hit the pullup jumper and sometimes three pointer, and is strong with the ball in the lane. Rodney's ballhandling is not good enough yet but he has the potential to be a real scorer. But that's been said already.

Top Bottom