Next Coach Could Be....

From Doogie:

"#Gophers update: Got an email from a semi-reliable contact who says he hears Fulmer's name... could be one of a handful I'm thinking."

Go Gophers!!

Could we be seeing this in the future?

78760714.jpg

Glen Mason was an established employed head coach from a major conference and he took the job when the program was in significantly worse shape.

Not to split hairs, but how was it worse? Purely because of Dome vs. TCF? From a talent standpoint I'd say it's worse now. At least Wacker left us an offense.

Sometimes I think we are chasing our tails with the coaching rumors. It could be that someone starts a rumor here, another person reports it as a rumor, and then it comes right back here, and treated as confirmation, when really all we are hearing is an echo.

I'm not saying that that is the case, but there are so many rumors that you don't need to take them with a grain of salt, but with an entire salt lick. We should be only a few weeks out, if the hire is in December, I hope it is early rather than late, the sooner we put this behind us the better.

But this coach as averaged 5.9 conference wins a season. Averaged. At Minnesota, 5 conference wins results in dancing in the streets. 6 is something legendary from long ago. To have that level of sucess to be an average year, unimaginable. Ok, maybe he doesn't have that level of success here. Maybe he just gives us more winning Big Ten seasons than losing ones. That would be a major triumph.

Not to split hairs, but how was it worse? Purely because of Dome vs. TCF? From a talent standpoint I'd say it's worse now. At least Wacker left us an offense.

I disagree. From a quantitative standpoint during the first 9 games of the 1996 season the vaunted Wacker offense averaged 21 points including scoring zero against Ohio St. This year we're averaging 24. Also if you remove the outlier of zero against Ohio St they still only average 23 points. The offense hasn't been the problem. We all knew going into this season we have a very young defense, a significantly tougher schedule (especially compared to '96) and another new offense coordinator.

I think the biggest difference now v then is the BTN and the difference it can make in revenue.

From Tom Dienhart:

"A new name is emerging for the Minnesota job: former Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer."

Go Gophers!!

From Tom Dienhart:

"A new name is emerging for the Minnesota job: former Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer."

Go Gophers!!

A coach who averages 5.9 conference wins per year? No thanks, I don't want to get spoiled. 4 years with winning Big Ten seasons since 1973 is just right. That way we appreciate them. And by winning seasons, I mean 5-3 seasons. Back in 1973, we had a 6-2 Big Ten record, we got nosebleeds from that overly elevated state. And 7-1 or 8-0 conference records? We'd pass out from the lack of oxygen.

No thanks, a coach who can give us 3-5 or 4-4 Big Ten records each year, with a very occasional 5-3 record is all that we want. Anything more is to scary.

BTW, the above is a test of the Emergency Sarcasm System.

I disagree. From a quantitative standpoint during the first 9 games of the 1996 season the vaunted Wacker offense averaged 21 points including scoring zero against Ohio St. This year we're averaging 24. Also if you remove the outlier of zero against Ohio St they still only average 23 points. The offense hasn't been the problem. We all knew going into this season we have a very young defense, a significantly tougher schedule (especially compared to '96) and another new offense coordinator.

Eh. You just had to go pull out real data on me. Anyway, I'm guessing if you throw out the many garbage-time TD's it would be closer, but I'm sure Wacker's teams had some of those as well. I still don't love the offeense now and think Wacker probably left more on that side of the ball then the new coach will be inheriting, especially with no QB ready to play.

Top Bottom