News coming Monday on potential Rule Breaking by UCLA?

#2Gopher

Reaction score
Andy Greder

@andygreder

RULE BREAKING? #UCLAThe Bruins listed receiver Titus Mokiao-Atimalala as OUT on its pregame availability report, but the junior receiver has been playing against #Gophers on Saturday. He had a 13-yard reception on last drive of second quarter. What say you,
@B1Gfootball
?

Andy Greder
@andygreder

RULE BREAKING? #UCLAThe Bruins listed receiver Titus Mokiao-Atimalala as OUT on its pregame availability report, but the junior receiver has been playing against #Gophers on Saturday. He had a 13-yard reception on last drive of second quarter. What say you,
@B1Gfootball
?
Non issue for us since the game has been played. A one game suspension would seem like a fair punishment to send the message that they need to be accurate with the injury report and not list a player as out if they are going to be dressed and available to play.

UCLA seemed like a really poorly coached team. Too many penalties, costly penalties, etc.
Something seemed off with that entire team.

UCLA seemed like a really poorly coached team. Too many penalties, costly penalties, etc.
They have a head coach with no previous head coaching experience. Highest level he had coached was running backs and didn't get promoted in 6 years at that role at UCLA. It's like hiring Whalen or Ben Johnson.

Last edited:

I'm not sure if penalties have anything to do with coaching. Sometimes things like play style and tempo have more influence. The list of least penalized teams often is full of slower tempo, run-heavy squads (like us!)

I did think their clock management late in the 4th when the Gophers had the ball was abysmal and left them with few outs. Foster seemed to be trying to run the Gophers out of time but with almost 2 minutes inside the 10 that was unlikely to happen, and they wound up with 20 seconds and 2 timeouts and no time to do much.

Since the Gophers were highly likely to at least tie the game they should have called all their timeouts and got the ball back with about 1:20 left.

And their head coach seems off too. Did you hear him interviewed? Poor guy is not in the right job it seems.

So far word has it they just accidentally submitted the same report as the previous week… due to just being bad at running a program.
I think it's not that they submitted the same report as the previous week, but rather the B1G posted the wrong report.

I think our report was the same as the previous week, listing Baranowski as "OUT" instead of questionable, which seems to contradict what I heard about him being a "Game time decision"

They have a head coach with no previous head coaching experience. Highest level he had coached was running backs and didn't get promoted in 6 years at that role at UCLA. It s like hiring Whalen or Ben Johnson.
That is what I said at the time...only basketball isn't football and Foster doesn't have the clout a Whelan would.

And their head coach seems off too. Did you hear him interviewed? Poor guy is not in the right job it seems.
Probably listening to too much of that degenerate rap music! He should be listening to real music like Johnny Mathis! If they played that during the game instead of Dr. Dre they would be undefeated right?!

Not to dog on Foster...but you get what you pay for.
A lot of "you get what you pay for" in a football program isn't the head coach so much as the assistants, support staff, and the kind of people who are responsible for updating and submitting the weekly injury report.

Not to dog on Foster...but you get what you pay for.
I think it goes even beyond that.

UCLA administration is supposedly not supportive of football / athletics, clearly they're not getting the OK to even spend money due to living in the PAC "we really don't want money" 12 for a long time.

The visit to the Rose Bowl was great but the game day production values were ... uh ... not great. They were playing announcements / music over the ref's announcing important calls, among a whole other pile of not great production things.

It's a program ... and maybe athletic department ... that really needs direction and for a few years to get going again.

Last edited:

They have a head coach with no previous head coaching experience. Highest level he had coached was running backs and didn't get promoted in 6 years at that role at UCLA. It's like hiring Whalen or Ben Johnson.
This is actually a really good comparison.

I have to laugh at the idea that some people push that UCLA didn't want PJ. The only reason they would pass up on a guy with PJ's background in favor of Foster is the price tag.

This is actually a really good comparison.

I have to laugh at the idea that some people push that UCLA didn't want PJ. The only reason they would pass up on a guy with PJ's background in favor of Foster is the price tag.
Brewster is maybe even a better comparison. He had only been a TE coach before here.

I try not to overly criticize coaches when it comes to stuff like this, but I thought their time management that last drive was also poor as well.

It's easier to dictate time management on offense....you can hurry up, speed up the tempo, go out of bounds, spike the ball. Defensively, they let the Gophers dictate the time & pace. Because of that, Minnesota was either scoring the go ahead TD or kicking a FG (we assume it would be made, but lately that is not a guarantee) with not much time left. Left them really having to rush. Sure, they could use the middle of the field, but that matters less when you're only capable of getting off a certain number of plays.

Off topic; the end of the Oregon-Ohio State game. 10 seconds left, and Oregon gets called for 12 men on the field. It was almost in a way a great penalty to take. Have an extra guy to prevent something from happening, 4 seconds came off the clock, and all it cost them was 5 yards. Now Ohio State only had 1-2 plays (turned out to only be 1 with Howards keep & slide).

I try not to overly criticize coaches when it comes to stuff like this, but I thought their time management that last drive was also poor as well.

It's easier to dictate time management on offense....you can hurry up, speed up the tempo, go out of bounds, spike the ball. Defensively, they let the Gophers dictate the time & pace. Because of that, Minnesota was either scoring the go ahead TD or kicking a FG (we assume it would be made, but lately that is not a guarantee) with not much time left. Left them really having to rush. Sure, they could use the middle of the field, but that matters less when you're only capable of getting off a certain number of plays.

Off topic; the end of the Oregon-Ohio State game. 10 seconds left, and Oregon gets called for 12 men on the field. It was almost in a way a great penalty to take. Have an extra guy to prevent something from happening, 4 seconds came off the clock, and all it cost them was 5 yards. Now Ohio State only had 1-2 plays (turned out to only be 1 with Howards keep & slide).
Yeah, I'm wondering if the NCAA will look to close this loophole before next year. Not something that happens often, but a slight flaw in the rulebook.

Anyone who watched Foster's first B1G media days time at the podium will agree this is the most likely scenario.
I did like his follow up t-shirt

GT0wN7ybwAEUVBj

UCLA administration is supposedly not supportive of football / athletics, clearly they're not getting the OK to even spend money due to living in the PAC "we really don't want money" 12 for a long time.

The visit to the Rose Bowl was great but the game day production values were ... uh ... not great. They were playing announcements / music over the ref's announcing important calls, among a whole other pile of not great production things.

It's a program ... and maybe athletic department ... that really needs direction and for a few years to get going again.
That is kind of what I was trying to say...if UCLA was taking football seriously he would not be the coach. Nothing against Foster but he would not have been sniffed for the job anywhere else in major college football. Then again, if they were taking football seriously they likely aren't playing so friggin far away from campus.

And yeah...the game day production is pretty awful. They often had the down and distance wrong (or put up so late everyone was confused) and it sounded like a random fan was doing the announcements half the time. (that poor Production Lady yelling "TIME TO GET LOUD!" was just sad) and it often seemed like the only thing they really planned was when they turned off the lights going into the 4th. I mean it was a straight up HS level production.

And you can tell that is part of why no one in LA seems to care about UCLA Football.

The only thing I can assume is he thought PJ was going to play for the FG. Honestly they would have been better off just letting us score fast than do what they did. It was shockingly poor decision making.

They (The UCLA Athletic Department) were really hurting financially IIRC. Though BigTen money helps, I am not sure that they are even on the plus side of revenue yet.

Top Bottom