New Years Eve in Orlando?

ChicagoGopher

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has any recommendations. We will be there with two younger kids but don't want to check out and call it a night at 8:00 pm. Anyone know if the U is arranging anything or if there are family friendly activities (that won't cost me a $1,000)?

I've heard the Disney fireworks are impressive.

+1 to these. Or the Epcot laser show.

Not exactly cheap, but not $1000

I'm pretty sure you can see the Disney show from outside the park. Google can probably give a few suggestions. That said, my family is staying home, so I'm also looking for some good NYE suggestions. All ideas appreciated.

Yeah - the $1000 reference was an intended reference to Disney. I'm not paying for that again. Took the kids there a couple of years ago so they already got my money.

My folks are bringing my 2 yr old and I to either Epcot or downtown Disney. All the parks
have impressive firework displays. One of the things were thinking about doing if tix are
ridiculous, is just pay for parking, and watch 'em from there.

all the theme parks are now running around $100 per day. you can see some of the fireworks from outside the parks, but you know Disney, etc. have it figured out so they are few freebies. Downtown disney has lots of restaurants and different things to do. Also quite a bit along International Drive.

When Iowa was at the Citrus bowl a few years ago they had a New Years Eve party at the Universal City Walk with the Iowa band playing and a pep fest type atmosphere as I understand it. I'm not sure if Minnesota is planning anything like that or not.

When Iowa was at the Citrus bowl a few years ago they had a New Years Eve party at the Universal City Walk with the Iowa band playing and a pep fest type atmosphere as I understand it. I'm not sure if Minnesota is planning anything like that or not.
I am not sure when the Sota Social is. I would guess if it is New Years Eve, it won't run till midnight, but you never know.

Spectacular. Mentioned in another thread, but when we saw the New Year's Eve show a few years back, at the stroke of midnight they sent off fireworks 12 at a time, 6 on each end of the lake, for 25 minutes. About 15 minutes in, the crowd thought they were starting the finale and started to applaud. When it was clear that it wasn't the finale the applause and yelling from the crowd built into a giant crescendo of noise.

Just amazing.

My folks are bringing my 2 yr old and I to either Epcot or downtown Disney. All the parks
have impressive firework displays. One of the things were thinking about doing if tix are
ridiculous, is just pay for parking, and watch 'em from there.

You don't need to go into the park...just go to downtown disney and watch from the boardwalk.

If you want adult/party entertainment, downtown Orlando's Church Street is a good bet:

http://www.churchstreetbars.com/

I second this. I used to work at Disney World and would go to Church Street all the time. Some great bars down there for the party crowd. The bar in the link is pretty cool too. Three floors with three different feels. I got pepper sprayed one time at Chillers (which has a dance floor and a wall of slushy drinks), got hammered in the Big Belly (kinda sports bar-ish where you can throw peanut shells on the ground), and hung out with a few celebrities at their roof top bar Latitudes. I wonder if the pizza place is still around the corner. Best drunk pizza you'll find. Church Street and north on Orange are great areas to be.

I second this. I used to work at Disney World and would go to Church Street all the time. Some great bars down there for the party crowd. The bar in the link is pretty cool too. Three floors with three different feels. I got pepper sprayed one time at Chillers (which has a dance floor and a wall of slushy drinks), got hammered in the Big Belly (kinda sports bar-ish where you can throw peanut shells on the ground), and hung out with a few celebrities at their roof top bar Latitudes. I wonder if the pizza place is still around the corner. Best drunk pizza you'll find. Church Street and north on Orange are great areas to be.

The pepper spray reference had me rolling AuEGO4! I spit out my drink when reading. I'm still laughing.

Buck

Top Bottom