New STrib Gopher beat writer is Phil Miller

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Phil Miller has officially been given the Gopher football beat at the Star Tribune. Miller was formerly with the Pioneer Press covering the Twins and has been with the Star Tribune for the past number of months. Prior to that he was in Salt Lake covering the Jazz amongst other beats. He is well respected amongst his peers and should give the program the attention it deserves.

Go Gophers!!

Welcome aboard Phil. Were hungry for more stories, particularly the ones behind the scenes that we don't hear about.

Go Gophers!

Oh my God, some fresh new effort is welcome. Thanks for joining Phil. I am sure we will enjoy your coverage. The bar is quite low, unfortunately but please set a quicker and more arduous pace. Actually, we are somewhat fortunate that we have above average dot com sites to quench our thirst though. Really, I look forward to following your work.

I was one of the few who liked Youngblood but he was not irreplaceable. I thought Kent did a good job at being realistic about the program. He didn't try to be a homer but at the same time he seemed to be positive about the program. I know people really liked Chip a lot better but I thought Youngblood did a good job.

I was one of the few who liked Youngblood but he was not irreplaceable. I thought Kent did a good job at being realistic about the program. He didn't try to be a homer but at the same time he seemed to be positive about the program. I know people really liked Chip a lot better but I thought Youngblood did a good job.

I had no problem with Kent's actual content - and I'm probably not alone on that.

What bothered me, and others I assume, was Kent's lack of understanding on the changes of the newspaper industry. As the industry evolves, the writers have to evolve. The star trib has actually done a great job (relative to the PP) transitioning to the digital age with their website. But youngblood never really got that memo. Not to sound mean, but he was kind of a dinosaur.

I had no problem with Kent's actual content - and I'm probably not alone on that.

What bothered me, and others I assume, was Kent's lack of understanding on the changes of the newspaper industry. As the industry evolves, the writers have to evolve. The star trib has actually done a great job (relative to the PP) transitioning to the digital age with their website. But youngblood never really got that memo. Not to sound mean, but he was kind of a dinosaur.

Yea, the lack of updates to his blog was a big downer. I agree that content wise he was solid. For anyone who disagrees, try to remember all the flack he used to take in his comments about being a Brew backer.

Hopefully Phil goes heavier with his posting on the blog to supplement the stories that the STrib likely won't publish frequently enough.

Top Bottom