New onside kick rule...

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
has to be one of the dumbest I've ever seen. For those that don't know, receiving teams can now call a fair catch even when the ball is kicked off the turf like in a traditional onside kick. Now the only real way to recover one is to try a surprise-type onside, but not in a surprise situation.

I understand safety, but c'mon. What's next, all players wearing bubble wrap?

Becky almost got one at the end of the game today. I actually think it was a bad call and the ball hit someone.

However, there are a couple different things you can do on the onside kick. Generally though, I agree with you, I don't think it saves players from huge hits.

I don't like this new rule either. It's going to make comebacks even more difficult.

Not just onside kicks; as I understand it the receiving team can call a fair catch on any kick even after the ball has bounced once.

This is a terrible new rule. I hope this is a one season only tryout and is reversed next season.

One of the stupidest rule changes yet. As soon as the ball is kicked, all 11 players can wave their arms and can't be touched. The only way to avoid it is to come up with some "two-bounce" kicks.

This is a terrible new rule. I hope this is a one season only tryout and is reversed next season.

Rules can only be changed every other year - so we're stuck with this stupid decision until 2014.

I thought the ball had to hit the ground and bounce higher than the person's head, no?

One of the stupidest rule changes yet. As soon as the ball is kicked, all 11 players can wave their arms and can't be touched. The only way to avoid it is to come up with some "two-bounce" kicks.

You are wrong is your assessment. Players do not need to wave hands to get a fair shot at catching the ball. Receivers are afforded the opportunity to catch the ball just like a punt, as it has always been. The difference this year is that if the ball hits the ground immediately and goes into the air the ground touching is ignored and the receivers are still afforded the protection to catch the ball. Kickers now need the big second bounce.

We'll see how it plays out this year.

If you go back to the Iowa onside kick last year, that would be an illegal play this year. Actually it was illegal last year because the Gophers make contact with Iowa players before the ball goes 10 yards. The penalty was not called.

Top Bottom