New O-Coordinator

RoyalGopher

Reaction score
Does this OC have what it takes to coach at this level? Based on the gophersports article that was posted here on gopher hole it looks like he coached smaller schools, and his biggest job before this was OC at Northern Illinois. I'm sure he's a great guy. They've had a ton of success on offense at NIU, especially running the ball. But do you even think Kill looked into a possibly bigger hire at OC than the guy he had at NIU?

Does this OC have what it takes to coach at this level? Based on the gophersports article that was posted here on gopher hole it looks like he coached smaller schools, and his biggest job before this was OC at Northern Illinois. I'm sure he's a great guy. They've had a ton of success on offense at NIU, especially running the ball. But do you even think Kill looked into a possibly bigger hire at OC than the guy he had at NIU?

Football is football. He has been with Kill for over a decade. Kill did not need to look anywhere else.

You could say the exact same thing of Kill. If Kill is qualified, so is his OC.

Two words: Jed Fisch Worst OC in the history of college fb

Kill's coaching staff is a team. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. If you replace one of the members of the team the coaching staff is not going to function as well. Because each coach knows exactly what his responsibility is and how every other coach is going to do their job the entire staff functions with a maximum amount of efficiency and a minimum amount of mistakes. I am betting that Gopher fans are going to love the results.

Gus Malzhan, winner of this year's Frank Broyles award and widely considered a great OC was coaching HS ball just a few years ago.

Coming from smaller schools does not mean the guy can't coach at this level.

After all of the coaching turnover under Brewster, I'm really excited about having a group of coaches who have been together forever that we will have with Kill.

Chip Kelly was the OC at New Hampshire from 1999-2006; was hired by Oregon where he was OC in 2007 and 2008 then promoted to HC for 2009. As HC; back to back Pac 10 champs and now playing the NC game. I wonder if the Oregon fans were questioning Kelly's chops when he was hired? Probably. Fact of the matter is where these coaches come from means very little. Saying that a coach isn't capable because he comes from a lower level is ridiculous. Give these guys a chance. My guess is we will be very happy with the results.

Speaking of Kelly: I really hope part of next years offense is the speed at which Oregon operates. I don't think the type of offense is as important as the pace at which plays are run. Our skill level is going to be lower than most of the teams we play and upping the pace to a level beyond what the defense can keep up with will be a great neutralizer. Probably easier said than done but I hope this is the way our offense trends. Sounds like Kill likes to play with a high tempo.

Is anyone good enough?

Fisch much like Brewster was taking a huge step in his career from being for teh most part a position coach to a coordinator position that he had no experience at. This guy has been an OC for years and will do a good job at the coaching part of things. This entire coaching staff has done a great job together over the years the question is not going to be the X's and O's with this coaching staff its going to be about the recruiting and getting the level of talent that is needed. What is impressive to me is he comments by Coach Kill about his offense and how it will be geared for the talent on the roster. To me its a good sign its not a staff that is going to do the same thing no matter who is on the roster but better yet should lead to a team that can overcome some injuries in seasons when a QB or a RB goes down to injury. Many coaches are unwilling to change their offense for any reasons they just want to plug athletes into spots and hope it works out.

Speaking of Kelly: I really hope part of next years offense is the speed at which Oregon operates. I don't think the type of offense is as important as the pace at which plays are run. Our skill level is going to be lower than most of the teams we play and upping the pace to a level beyond what the defense can keep up with will be a great neutralizer. Probably easier said than done but I hope this is the way our offense trends. Sounds like Kill likes to play with a high tempo.

I wouldn't expect the speed of Oregon. While I think it is silly to question the new coordinators simply b/c they haven't coached at the BCS level before, the one takeaway I've gotten from NIU fans is that our new OC is pretty conservative with the play-calling and style. So I expect Holers (including myself) to get frustrated with that. Doesn't change the fact that I'm glad Kill brought his long time coordinators with him though.

Top Bottom