NEW: Marisa Moseley named Badger Head Coach: Badger Coaching Search 2021

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

The obvious didn't take long.

Tsipis out at Wisconsin
I assume Megan Duffy will receive a call.

MADISON (WKOW) -- The University of Wisconsin has fired women's basketball head coach Jonathan Tsipis. Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez announced a search will begin immediately for a new head coach.

"I appreciate Coach Tsipis's efforts during his five years with us, but we feel it is time for a new direction for our women's basketball program," Alvarez said in a statement. "I wish Jonathan the best as he moves forward."

The Badgers were eliminated earlier in the day from the Big Ten Tournament by losing to Illinois 67-42. They finished the season with a 5-19 overall record and a 2-19 record against Big Ten competition

I assume Jennie Baranczyk will receive a call.

Amaka- Agugua Hamilton, from Missouri State should get a call as well.. maybe Dawn Plizuwiet from South Dakota (don't think she'd leave, but never know.)

Amaka- Agugua Hamilton, from Missouri State should get a call as well.. maybe Dawn Plizuwiet from South Dakota (don't think she'd leave, but never know.)
money money money,Plizuwiet makes around 250k now, Tsipis was making 675k. Theres some good mid major coaches in the area but they could probably wait for better jobs. Baranczyk was a finalist for the North Carolina job last year i think.

I'm guessing that if the Purdue job becomes available, Agugua-Hamilton will also be a prime candidate for West Lafayette.

The Badgers have failed miserably with the last two coaching hires (long time assistant with no HC experience followed by longtime assistant with four years HC experience) -maybe Alvarez will go big; but I doubt it.

I'm guessing that if the Purdue job becomes available, Agugua-Hamilton will also be a prime candidate for West Lafayette.

The Badgers have failed miserably with the last two coaching hires (long time assistant with no HC experience followed by longtime assistant with four years HC experience) -maybe Alvarez will go big; but I doubt it.

Ignatius- if Purdue loses today, is Versyp going?

Congratulations Marisa:

Marisa Moseley has been chosen as the next University of Wisconsin women’s basketball coach, a source confirmed Thursday evening.
The hire is expected to be announced on Friday. According to the agenda for a UW System Board of Regents Executive Committee meeting set for Friday, the group will consider an employment and compensation agreement for a women’s basketball coach.

Moseley spent the previous three seasons as the head coach at Boston University, leading the Terriers to a 45-29 record. Prior to that, she was a longtime assistant under legendary coach Geno Auriemma at UConn.
She replaces Jonathan Tsipis, who was fired earlier this month, and takes over a program that has posted 10 consecutive losing seasons and is coming off its worst campaign in more than three decades.

According to her bio on the Boston University athletics website, Moseley is a native of Springfield, Massachusetts. She played four seasons for the Terriers from 2000-04 and was a two-time captain.

Moseley was an assistant at Minnesota for two seasons from 2007-09 but has mostly spent her time on the East Coast.

I have to say I'm surprised. I didn't think she'd done all that much at BU.

I have to say I'm surprised. I didn't think she'd done all that much at BU.
Im guessing it wasnt a job many coaches wanted. Seems like there shoulda been alot better options from all the good local mid majors.

Im guessing it wasnt a job many coaches wanted. Seems like there shoulda been alot better options from all the good local mid majors.

The Badgers seem to like the "coaching tree" angle. With Kelsey it was Tara, with Tsipis it was Muffet and now it's Geno (or maybe Borton?).

I was a little too flip on Moseley's BU stint. She immediately turned a losing program into a winning program. I actually watched their 54-64 loss to Lehigh in the Patriot League title game. I guess I wasn't impressed.

Badgers make Marisa Moseley's hiring official:
MADISON, Wis. – Marisa Moseley, whose entire basketball career has been about leadership and success on and off the court, has been named head coach of the Wisconsin women’s basketball program, UW Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez announced. Moseley will officially begin her duties with the Badgers next week.

“I could not be more thrilled about Marisa joining our Badger family,” Alvarez said. “She has been a winner as a student-athlete, assistant coach and head coach. She values the student-athlete experience on the court, in the classroom and in the community. And she is a bright, engaging person who I know our student-athletes, fellow staff members, community members and fans will come to know and enjoy. I can’t wait for her to get started.”

Moseley spent the past three seasons as the head coach at Boston University, her alma mater, where she guided the women’s basketball program to a 45-29 overall record. In the three seasons prior to her arrival as head coach, the program had built a 26-63 overall record. Moseley was named the Patriot League Coach of the Year after her first BU team finished fourth in 2018-19 after being chosen in the preseason to finish ninth. During the COVID19-influenced 2020-21 season, she led her team to a 12-3 finish and a spot in the conference tournament championship game.

“I would like to thank Coach Alvarez, Chancellor Blank, Chris McIntosh, Justin Doherty, Mike Jackson, and the entire Wisconsin Athletic department for this incredible opportunity,” Moseley said. “I am thrilled to be a Badger and to lead this program back to great heights! Wisconsin has a rich and storied tradition of success in all its sports, and I am confident that our women's basketball program will be joining those ranks in the future! I can't wait to meet my team and get started! As soon as I arrived in Madison and met the people, I knew this was a special place where I could plant roots. We have a wonderful community behind us, and I look forward to connecting with all the faithful Badger fans! On Wisconsin!”

Moseley’s impressive resume includes a nine-year stint as an assistant coach at perennial power Connecticut. She was on staff at UConn while the program won five NCAA titles and appeared in the Final Four each season. Moseley helped coach three national players of the year and 11 All-Americans at UConn, which compiled a 331-14 record that included winning streaks of 111 and 90 games during her years with the program.

Moseley has Big Ten Conference experience, as well, having coached as an assistant at Minnesota for two seasons, both of which resulted in NCAA Tournament appearances. She broke into coaching as an assistant at the University of Denver.

Moseley is a leader in diversity and inclusion-related initiatives. She was a founding member of the Patriot League’s Anti-Racism Commission; a member of the University of Connecticut’s Diversity Council and a member of the University of Denver’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee.

Moseley was a basketball student-athlete at Boston University from 2000-04 where she earned third-team all-conference honors and helped lead her team to the school’s only NCAA Tournament appearance (2003). She is a native of Springfield, Massachusetts, and earned her bachelor’s degree in sociology in 2004.

Summary of Moseley's zoom presser: Says she's reached out to Imani Lewis and the writer says there's a trio of players at Hopkins Moseley "will probably take a look at".

On Monday afternoon, the Wisconsin Badgers new women’s head basketball coach, Marisa Moseley, spoke to the media for the first time. While it doesn’t mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things as good coaches like Paul Chryst have never even tied a press conference, Moseley did win her opening Zoom with the Wisconsin media by all accounts.

There is plenty of work for her to do as the Badgers aren’t particularly close to finishing at .500, let alone compete for a bid to the NCAA Tournament. Wisconsin hasn’t had a winning season since Lisa Stone’s last year at the helm in 2010-2011 and they’ve only reached the NCAA Tournament three times this century, and not since the 2009-2010 season.

If you’ve watched any Badgers game over the past few years you’ve probably noticed that Wisconsin just doesn’t have the same talent baseline as most of the rest of the teams in the Big Ten, and it is laughable when compared with a team like UConn, South Carolina or Baylor. There is talent in Wisconsin and neighboring Minnesota (where Moseley was an assistant with the Gophers), Iowa and Illinois and perhaps a new voice, and approach, like Moseley’s will appeal to them.

UW has a top-50 recruit, 4-star Florida wing Jordana Codio, in the 2022 class verbally committed (Update: per her Twitter account and thanks to eagle-eyed commenter mike.connor.94, it looks like Codio decommitted after the coaching change) and the No. 5 player in the country for the 2023 class, 5-star PG Kamorea Arnold, plays nearby for Germantown. Hopkins (Minn.) High School also has a trio of highly rated players in the next two classes that Moseley will probably take a look at too.
[...]
Moseley also said she has reached out to former Badgers forward Imani Lewis, who is currently in the transfer portal, about potentially coming back to Madison. Outside of admitting that she has talked to her, Moseley didn’t go into any detail

Glamour interview with Marisa Moseley:

Marisa Moseley, incoming head coach for the University of Wisconsin’s women’s basketball team, has her work cut out for her. She’s starting a new job in the Big Ten, stepping into the spotlight as one of a growing number of women in sports leadership positions, and doing it all while navigating one of the most challenging years on record. “You're managing your players’ wellbeing, both physically and mentally, during a pandemic and social unrest; you want to get involved and continue to try to change the world; and it's like, ‘Oh, and I also need to sleep,’” she says.

At 39, Moseley is the youngest Black woman serving as a head coach in the Big Ten. It’s one of the biggest conferences in college sports (generating over $700 million in revenue) where the gender gap in leadership positions is glaring: only three percent of the most lucrative head coaching jobs for collegiate men’s teams go to women and only 40 percent of women’s collegiate sports teams are coached by women. But Moseley isn’t one to get distracted by the stats. “Whether I am the youngest, the oldest, the first, or the 31st, I just want to be really excellent in whatever I'm doing,” she says.

What she is focused on is changing the way the world views women’s sports.

Marisa Moseley brings along a player from BU.

Head coach Marisa Moseley has announced that Katie Nelson, a graduate transfer from Boston University, will join the Wisconsin women's basketball team for the 2021-22 season.

"I am extremely excited to have Katie join our Badger family," said Moseley. "I've had the pleasure of coaching Katie for the last three years at Boston University where she led that program from the bottom of the conference to a championship contender. Her passion, work ethic, and basketball knowledge are second to none. Katie will be a great addition to our backcourt and help shore up our point guard position. I have no doubt the impact she will make on and off the court here in Madison will be long lasting!"

The 5-foot-8 point guard earned first-team All-Patriot League honors in 2020-21, leading the Terriers with 12.0 points and 4.3 assists per game. She had a career season as a senior, shooting 47.9% from the field, which ranked seventh in the league, including 40.6% from 3-point range, which ranked fifth. The Falmouth, Massachusetts, native also averaged a career-best 3.7 rebounds per game.

Nelson played and started all 103 games of her career at BU, averaging 10.9 points, 3.7 assists and 3.4 rebounds per game. She had a career high 29 points vs. Northeastern on Dec. 29, 2019 as well as nine rebounds in two games, and eight assists in four games.

Top Bottom