New interview with Ben Johnson

I love the way he handles his business.
Me too. He appears to be the real deal as a person. Now he has to put a team on the floor that can and does compete. On that we just have to be patient. It is going to be tough.

Me too. He appears to be the real deal as a person. Now he has to put a team on the floor that can and does compete. On that we just have to be patient. It is going to be tough.
Patience is a virtue, perhaps the father of all virtues. As long as they are building a strong foundation they will have success. Love the start . Set character first. That sets the table for emotional toughness. The work, practices will be much more demanding, conditioning far better. Heand Thorson believe in some non-negotiables. The first two years about establishing that identity, the winning will follow.

This is a nice interview. Ben laid out what he's looking for in recruits and what he expects from players. It sounds like he wants to teach a conceptual, motion offense where players need to read the defense and act based upon what they read. This requires kids who can think on their feet.
I wish the interview had touched on all the players who have left and what his plan is for filling those spots, but overall a nice interview.
I also found his comparison of the Miami Heat to be interesting. I wish they explored that more. Does he like Jimmy Butler type players or was it more than that.
I liked his comparison of Murphy as an undersized kid who just outworked people. I think Ben is looking for those kinds of players.
I found it interesting that he mentions the Heat & Butler. Guys like Butler & Westbrook made names for themselves because they play with an insane level of intensity. While others coast for long lengths of time, they outwork their opponents. In the end, they do more with less. Its easy for Butler & Westbrook to stand out in the NBA because their approaches run counter to the culture of the league. And as with Butler, you see that his approach only works when the rest of the buys in (i.e., Wiggins & Towns did NOT appreciate his go hard or go home mentality). Sounds to me like Coach Johnson would love to Brad Davison types to his roster.

What was the last program the ben played or coached with that was a winner?

Last edited:

I found it interesting that he mentions the Heat & Butler. Guys like Butler & Westbrook made names for themselves because they play with an insane level of intensity. While others coast for long lengths of time, they outwork their opponents. In the end, they do more with less. Its easy for Butler & Westbrook to stand out in the NBA because their approaches run counter to the culture of the league. And as with Butler, you see that his approach only works when the rest of the buys in (i.e., Wiggins & Towns did NOT appreciate his go hard or go home mentality). Sounds to me like Coach Johnson would love to Brad Davison types to his roster.
I think you are making a mistake by suggesting that Davison is the type of player that Ben wants on his roster. I can see what you may mean from an intensity point of view, but the dirty play would have gotten him kicked off the team long ago. No players should use Brad Davidson as a role model!

I don't see the connection with Davison. Davison is a Grayson Allen type player who will cheat to win.
I think you are making a mistake by suggesting that Davison is the type of player that Ben wants on his roster. I can see what you may mean from an intensity point of view, but the dirty play would have gotten him kicked off the team long ago. No players should use Brad Davidson as a role model!
I agree with Alchemy. Brad Davison is much more like a Grayson Allen who would not be opposed to cheating in order to win. That is not winning with integrity.

I don't see the connection with Davison. Davison is a Grayson Allen type player who will cheat to win.

I agree with Alchemy. Brad Davison is much more like a Grayson Allen who would not be opposed to cheating in order to win. That is not winning with integrity.
Grayson Allen Salary:$2,564,753

He actually had a pretty good season (and not so much with the incidents). Maybe he sought counseling to help him avoid his freak-out/meltdown moments?
Possibly. My original point still stands that having a person who will cheat to win is not what Ben Johnson is recruiting.

Top Bottom