New Eligibility Standards Coming in College Football

Iceland12

Reaction score
Here is a brief excerpt from the story:
A survey conducted by the NCAA indicated that of all freshmen football players to enroll at Division I schools last fall, approximately 40 percent would have failed to meet the 2016 requirements.

Forty percent. Meet your academic redshirts.

By definition, an academic redshirt is a student-athlete, in 2016 and beyond, who meets the old eligibility requirements but not the new standards. An academic redshirt can receive a scholarship and practice with the team but cannot participate in games."

"One major difference between academic redshirts of the future and partial qualifiers of the past: Academic redshirts don't lose a year of eligibility. After their first year in college, academic redshirts are left with four years to play four seasons; partial qualifiers had four to play three"

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...ew-incoming-eligibility-standards-create-term

Does anybody have an opinion on how this will affect schools differently in the Big Ten?

Does anybody have an opinion on how this will affect schools differently in the Big Ten?

those schools at the top of the recruiting food chain will not feel the effects nearly as much, unfortunately, as those at the bottom of the BCS recruiting food chain

those schools at the top of the recruiting food chain will not feel the effects nearly as much, unfortunately, as those at the bottom of the BCS recruiting food chain

I think it will be just the opposite. Guys like Coach Kill will flourish. Guys like I'mHavingaHeartAttackNoI'mNotByeFloridaHiOSU may have some new things to deal with.

I think it will be just the opposite. Guys like Coach Kill will flourish. Guys like I'mHavingaHeartAttackNoI'mNotByeFloridaHiOSU may have some new things to deal with.

absolutely hilarious...

another way to look at the issue --> how would this change in elegibility standard affect the way Don Lucia recruits?

answer: it wouldn't

reason: Lucia is already sitting on top of the recruiting food chain...he takes who he wants...he is in a position to avoid those student-athletes with academic/legal baggage...the bemidji states and alaska anchorages get to pick the left-overs...

Jerry Kill does not have this luxury....

absolutely hilarious...

another way to look at the issue --> how would this change in elegibility standard affect the way Don Lucia recruits?

reason: Lucia is already sitting on top of the recruiting food chain...he takes who he wants...he is in a position to avoid those student-athletes with academic/legal baggage...the bemidji states and alaska anchorages get to pick the left-overs...

Glad you laughed. It was a joke.

absolutely hilarious...

i could be wrong, as i don't have any stats in front of me. but something tells me dinkything's haphazard attempt at comparing college hockey recruiting to college football recruiting is like comparing apples to oranges. first and foremost being that there are FAR MORE quality football players available to recruit in this country and elsewhere than there are hockey players.

nice try with the pessimism though.

coach kill and minnesota will be just fine when this comes to pass.

Top Bottom