New Coordinators

Gopher4life15

SKI-U-MAH!
Reaction score
Who will be the new D-Coordinator and the new O-Coordinator for the Gophers, and how long will they stay? To make this even more fun if you were the Gopher A.D. and had unlimited funds what would be your fantasy football staff?

Head coach: Tony Dungy
O-Coordinator Urban Meyer
D-Coordinator Pete Carroll

Well, let's see...hmmm....

Off the top of my head, I'm going to guess a couple of guys that don't really want to be here and will automatically take another job if the opportunity arises...

Sorry about the above statement, but I had to get that off my chest...Okay, now I feel better :p

Seriously though, I have no idea...anybody have any thoughts??

Well, let's see...hmmm....

Off the top of my head, I'm going to guess a couple of guys that don't really want to be here and will automatically take another job if the opportunity arises...

Sorry about the above statement, but I had to get that off my chest...Okay, now I feel better :p

Seriously though, I have no idea...anybody have any thoughts??

sad but true

How about getting Tommy Tubberville as our new DC. I know this would never happen but I think it would have agreeable symmetry

DC - Sylvester Croom or Greg Robinson
OC - Dave Clawson or Major Applewhite

Besides Dungy are there any alumni that could fill these rolls? Maybe they would care about this program and stick around for a bit.

The one name I do not want to hear for DC is Kevin Cosgrove, he was terrible at Wisconsin and even worse at Nebraska. I know he took this season off and is living back in Madison after getting canned at Nebraska. His son is a grad assistant for the gophers currently.

A Possible DC Candidate . . .

but not likely . . . Dan McCarney. McCarney is currently the defensive line coach at Florida.

McCarney is an excellent recruiter, defensive coach/teacher, passionate, enthusiastic and has had a tremendous track record having coached at Iowa, Wisconsin (where he was defensive coordinator under Alvarez), head coach at Iowa State, assistant last year at South Florida and now with the Gators. He's a Big 10 man, Iowa native and has recruited the midwest well wherever he's coached. He does want to be a head coach again, so there's a risk of McCarney would be looking for the next head coach opening. Minnesota needs stability in the coordinator ranks, as well as an experienced, strong coordinator. That said, I believe he would be an excellent defensive coordinator. Not sure what the Brewster-McCarney chemistry would be like, however. Would it be a good match? Who knows.

Go Gophers!!

Seems to me Brew should be here

both his key coordinators "resign" on the same day and he is in AZ at the Fiesta Bowl. Wouldn't you think he would want to meet with the team and or recruits - maybe also deal directly with public realtions hit this program has taken. A fish rots from the head first. I continue to be concerned that we are falling deeper into the abyss. At least I'll get to see it from my bench seat at the new stadium with my trusty flask.

but not likely . . . Dan McCarney. McCarney is currently the defensive line coach at Florida.

McCarney is an excellent recruiter, defensive coach/teacher, passionate, enthusiastic and has had a tremendous track record having coached at Iowa, Wisconsin (where he was defensive coordinator under Alvarez), head coach at Iowa State, assistant last year at South Florida and now with the Gators. He's a Big 10 man, Iowa native and has recruited the midwest well wherever he's coached. He does want to be a head coach again, so there's a risk of McCarney would be looking for the next head coach opening. Minnesota needs stability in the coordinator ranks, as well as an experienced, strong coordinator. That said, I believe he would be an excellent defensive coordinator. Not sure what the Brewster-McCarney chemistry would be like, however. Would it be a good match? Who knows.

Go Gophers!!

I like the suggestion but also question the chemistry between them, you can only have one guy calling the shots.

Marc Trestman

Minnesota guy. Understands the school and the people. Just a
5-second thought.

Norries Wilson- HC at Columbia UNiversity.

Just a couple of MN alums.

5-second thought.

Trestman does have a record of developing good QB's but is currently the HC in the CFL with the Montreal Alouettes.

both his key coordinators "resign" on the same day and he is in AZ at the Fiesta Bowl. Wouldn't you think he would want to meet with the team and or recruits - maybe also deal directly with public realtions hit this program has taken. A fish rots from the head first. I continue to be concerned that we are falling deeper into the abyss. At least I'll get to see it from my bench seat at the new stadium with my trusty flask.

It is worth mentioning that he does have a family and his kid did have a game. It isn't like he is down there on vacation just living the life. I am not a dad yet, but I would think if you had a kid playing a college sport you would like to see him play in a game or two...

It is worth mentioning that he does have a family and his kid did have a game. It isn't like he is down there on vacation just living the life. I am not a dad yet, but I would think if you had a kid playing a college sport you would like to see him play in a game or two...

Ya would you want him to go Andy Reid on the bit and not be a dad and have his kid get depressed?

5-second thought.

Brewster doesn't seem to put a premium (or even care) on potential coaches having ties to the program or the state. I'd like to see someone move into their office with a predisposed affinity for the Gophers and this state. Just my preference. It's his choice.

DEWAYNE WALKER.....

DEWAYNE WALKER, DEWAYNE WALKER, DEWAYNE WALKER, DEWAYNE WALKER, DEWAYNE WALKER....Did I say DEWAYNE WALKER enough?..DEWAYNE WALKER, DEWAYNE WALKER, DEWAYNE WALKER.....http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=DEWAYNE+WALKER&FORM=CBPW&first=1
The one name I do not want to hear for DC is Kevin Cosgrove, he was terrible at Wisconsin and even worse at Nebraska. I know he took this season off and is living back in Madison after getting canned at Nebraska. His son is a grad assistant for the gophers currently.

I know he as currently at UCLA, but maybe, just maybe we could convince him to come home.

The rats are jumping off this sinking ship. Let's admit our mistakes and get real football coach back.

Remember Roof was also a head coach.

True but Roof seemed like a pretty modest guy and I had heard that McCarney was his own biggest fan. I do think he is good coach however and if he and Brewsters egos could co-exist than I say bring him aboard.

Brewster question to Roof when interviewed for the Gopher DC spot.

"So Ted, tell me. What will you do if a southern school, lets take Auburn for example, contacts you next year about a DC or HC position?"

"Well Tim, I've been there and done that. I really want to work with you to get Gopher football back on track! The opportunity to coach in the SEC, I mean the Big Ten, is a great career move. I really need, err want, this job! I know my family will love it down there, oops I mean, up here"!

"Great Ted. You are hired. So what do you think of the Horns?"

I wouldn't fault Brewster for not being here. Any father deserves to see his son play in a bowl game. And many of the players aren't here as classes don't start for another 10 days or so (day after MLK).

It is frustrating to have Roof leave for another DC job, even one that pays more. I thought he may leave for a head coaching job eventually, but... The DC job has been a revolving door for years!

That being said, there has to be a coach out there who would rather live (or at least his wife would rather live) in a real city instead of a college town. A college town is great when you are in college, but Auburn, Alabama, come on. There are millions of people who choose to live here because of all the great things the city of Minneapolis (St. Paul too) has to offer, even a lot of transplants. We're one of the 10-12 biggest metro areas in the country. Not for everyone, but there has to be a coach who appreciates going home and not being recognized as the coach everywhere you go.

Hopefully Brewster can sell the coordinators on the benefits of the U and the city.

Oh well. Wasn't there a former Gopher(Wacker era) that was an assistant out east. Norris........? I'm not suggesting that he'd be a candidate, In this case I'm wondering if he is still coaching somewhere.

Top Bottom