New Committ - D. Travis

Another under the radar DB. Clearly the coaches are banking on numbers back there. Makes me wonder if we are going to see some of the current DB's ending up as academic casualties or transfers in the off season. Again assuming this is commit is real and the lists on Rivals are correct (which clearly we have no way of knowing) that would put us at 8 DB commitments at the moment.

From RyanBurnsGI:

“@_AyoTravieee: Just Committed To #Minnesota !”

Again assuming this is commit is real and the lists on Rivals are correct (which clearly we have no way of knowing) that would put us at 8 DB commitments at the moment.

Only one thing is certain at this point. We will all be very surprised either at the number of transfers or on signing day!

Another under the radar DB. Clearly the coaches are banking on numbers back there. Makes me wonder if we are going to see some of the current DB's ending up as academic casualties or transfers in the off season. Again assuming this is commit is real and the lists on Rivals are correct (which clearly we have no way of knowing) that would put us at 8 DB commitments at the moment.

Total guess but I doubt CB Bouie will be back. Hasnt touched the field in his time here so maybe he is one on the way out. Would make sense with all the DB commits we are landing. Another option is Kenny Watkins. Ive seen him on Speacial teams but never on the two deeps.

I think it's to look at it a little differently....

Baltazar and Shabazz are essentially '10 commits
Boddy is an '11 commit
Murray, Johnson, Travis, Moss are '12 commits
Rallis is a LB.

We were so thin at DB last year that we had to burn the RS of Wells, Levine and Thompson, which meant that they are essentially the same as '10 commits. So our class last season, even though we recruited 4 DBs is a bit empty because only Montgomery RS.

Another high school QB, Kill loves those guys. Welcome aboard!

Another high school QB, Kill loves those guys. Welcome aboard!

Yep, welcome aboard.

I don't know anything about this kid, but he looks talented. Like Mk said, it's also nice to see a team full of QBs. In today's football, teams love getting the ball into the hands of their most skilled players and you're naturally going to see a ton of QBs recruited to play other positions, because they are usually the best players on their team.

He seems like a natural S. I kind of feel like I am mimicking what I said about Duke Anwayu (spelling?) that there just aren't that many kids who are 6'2"+, 200 lbs +, can run and are good football players. That is why I hope there is a spt for Duke on our team.

That said, welcome aboard and congratulations on hating Iowa!

Bob, good post. I had to read it 3 times before I caught your drift. It's very much about balancing the classes. You're much closer to being an expert than you give yourself credit for.

Can't have too many athletic DB and LB candidates...Bob is right--we were thinner than we thought.

Think LSU... They recruit a bunch of speed at DB and S guys like D. Travis with larger frames (this guy is already 6'1 194) then play them at LB or DE. Just some food for thought, but I also love the fact that Kill recruits FOOTBALL PLAYERS and SPEED instead of guys that just pass the eye test (kind of like NFL combine freaks).

Size, speed and QB's. This is a great way to recruit. The QB has such a knowledge of the game that can't be matched by other positions. That knowledge can translate to advantages in them playing defense in college.

I have a gut that this young man will be one of the difference makers along with Hinojosa and Hayes in this class.

I would rather have too many guys that run 4.5 at the same position than plenty of guys that run 4.9 at different positions. Especially if they are smart players that understand offense and defense, like QBs.

One of these guys could also end up at WR since that is a position where we lack depth...a QB/DB prospect that can run and has decent hands would make a nice WR, especially if he was 6'1+ and ran 4.5-6.

I have a gut that this young man will be one of the difference makers along with Hinojosa and Hayes in this class.

Don't forget about Nelson, Pirsig and Harbison as well.

Any word on Charlie Miller? I would like to see him in our uni's next year

I would rather have too many guys that run 4.5 at the same position than plenty of guys that run 4.9 at different positions. Especially if they are smart players that understand offense and defense, like QBs.

One of these guys could also end up at WR since that is a position where we lack depth...a QB/DB prospect that can run and has decent hands would make a nice WR, especially if he was 6'1+ and ran 4.5-6.

Good point. Got a chuckle out of me.

Thanks for the schematic Bob_Loblaw. I think that explains things quite clearly. We just need depth in the defensive backfield and more athleticism (particularly in the area of "football speed") on defense. I don't think Claeys had the guys he needed to play the way he wanted last season. Things got better as the year wore on, but his schemes seemed to mimic Cosgrove's early in the year.

Interesting recruiting class.

My Christmas List

Don't forget about Nelson, Pirsig and Harbison as well.

Any word on Charlie Miller? I would like to see him in our uni's next year

My Gopher Christmas wish list is almost complete. It is still missing one thing on the list and it needs a stronger confirmation that one of the players will still be under the tree on February 3rd. The missing present is Charlie Miller who I believe is relatively new on the scene. I suspect he may be a little over whelmed by the recruiting process and is not yet comfortable with Minnesota. I am sure our coaches are trying to help him work through this. I hope they are successful because the Minnesota offense would be perfect for his speed and his pass catching skills. My second wish is a solid confirmation by Jamel Harbison that Minnesota is his choice. If those two wishes come to fruition it will be a great Christmas.

Edit: Add a DT per howieramone

It's added to the wish list so don't say Christmas Bah Humbug!

If recruits take a 2nd OV in December/January to a new school, it's usually unlikely that they will commit to the first school. At least that's how it appears to me. I don't like our odds w/ C. Miller at all...

If recruits take a 2nd OV in December/January to a new school, it's usually unlikely that they will commit to the first school. At least that's how it appears to me. I don't like our odds w/ C. Miller at all...
When the 2 schools are Minnesota and Northern Illinois though, I still like our odds.

Can't argue with that. It just seems that by this time of year, most guys are ready to make a decision quickly when they find the right fit.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I'm very worried about whether Dinero Moss will qualify, among others.

Top Bottom